Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 10,000 miles on the original Bridgestone RE050As. The outside is wearing faster than the inside. I have not raced it. I would think the significant camber would result in excessive wear on the inner tread. What gives?

How will 225/50-17s wear considering the amount of camber the Speed6 has?

Keith_MS6
Mazdaspeed6

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
It's probably out of alignment...nothing that a regular 4 wheels alignment can't fix.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have 10,000 miles on the original Bridgestone RE050As. The outside is wearing faster than the inside. I have not raced it. I would think the significant camber would result in excessive wear on the inner tread. What gives?

How will 225/50-17s wear considering the amount of camber the Speed6 has?

Keith_MS6
Mazdaspeed6
[/b]
I had and have the same problem. The outside lugs are cuping if that makes sense. i took it in and said that everything is fine as far as alignment. I rotated them and Ill see how it does now. If it does it again, I will definitely take it back at make sure something is done about it.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Now if you guys would just slow down the problem would go away! Actually I'm getting the same wear that I did on my Preludes-cornering at high speeds wears the outer ribs disproportionally. Since the tires are asymmetric, you can't flip them to the other side. Rotating might help a little since the fronts get it much worse than the rears, and since my right front is the worst, rotating (not flipping) across the car next rotation might help. The biggest problem is a 120 wear rating!

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
I figured my tires wouldn't make it past 18k. I was right! :D These bad boys are bald as my head. I speed a lot and go to the track often. I just ordered some new aftermarket tires to beat up on.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Mine went bald at 16k.... Maybe earlier.... But I replaced them at 17k

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't race (yet), don't corner fast (not much opportunity on the highway), and 95% of my driving is highway. The dealership said they had no complaints or comments about tire wear (they just want $700 to install the CAI, but thats another thread).

I've had sporty and performance cars before this Speed6 (Shelby Charger, Vette, Integra GSR). I have never seen wear like this.

Suspension alignment: It was a little off, however, all four tires show about the same wear.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Since the tires are asymmetric, you can't flip them to the other side.
[/b]
You can't flip them on the wheel, but you can cross rotate the tires, which helps.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cross rotate would require dismounting/remounting(?).

Can you explain the wear pattern. It doesn't make sense considering the camber and driving style (no racing, fast turns, etc.).

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Can you explain the wear pattern. It doesn't make sense considering the camber and driving style (no racing, fast turns, etc.).
[/b]
"It's probably out of alignment...nothing that a regular 4 wheels alignment can't fix."
yup, likely excess toe-in.

"Cross rotate would require dismounting/remounting(?)"

yup again (edit: nope)

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
i'm at 14k & they are almost ready to go. i'm still trying to decide what wheels to go with. i'm really leaning towards changing to 225/45/18s on OEM RX-8 18" rims. i know this has been covered too many times to count. . .

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
"Cross rotate would require dismounting/remounting(?)"

yup again
[/b]
Kevin, cross-rotating the MS6 original equipment Bridgestone Potenza RE050A DOES NOT require dismounting the tire!

Asymmetric tires have to be mounted with a particular sidewall facing outwards. Even if you cross-rotate, the same sidewall that was facing outwards on the right side of the car will still be facing outwards on the left side. Unidirectional tires cannot be cross rotated because they have to roll in a particular direction. Putting a unidirectional tire on the opposite side requires dismounting the tire and "flipping" it over. The MS6 does not come with unidirectional tires.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Got the snows on today. NO ONE in town has the equipment to properly mount 18" alloy wheels. DAMN, if I'd known that I would have gotten new rims and saved myself a few scratches and $100 in mounting fees! Anyway, to the topic at hand, 9k on the stock tires and there wasn't enough left to make it worth saving them. I'm going to leave the snows on the stock rims and get some 225/45 summers to go on a set of RX8 rims next spring.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Kevin, cross-rotating the MS6 original equipment Bridgestone Potenza RE050A DOES NOT require dismounting the tire!

[/b]
Thanks for the correction, I thought those potenza's were directional, and they are not.

In that case, I always suggest direct x rotation, vs your illustration. This minimizes feathering of the outer edge ... hand rub back across top of tire feels edges of tread blocks, rub forward and it feels smooth. Feathering induces noise, and is easily avoided by reversing tire direction each rotation.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
i took a good look at my tires today and observed that the outside of all four are wore down about 4x as much as the inside, with the tread gradually wore from inside to out. i'm sitting at 13,700 miles.

what would cause this? alignment? the factory camber?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well that makes two of us. Some adjustments were made to the allignment at 11,000 miles. The adjustment was small. I doubt if it caused the cosiderable uneven wear. The message traffic above suggests wheel alignment and rotating. I think the manual for the Speed6 calls for front to rear rotation, NOT crossing. Not sure how crossing would make a difference since all postitions show this siginificant uneven wear.

I would like to know if there is more than two of us seeing this wear.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
i take some rather spirited drives in the speed6, especially on the corners. this is the only explenation i can think of. i've had my tires rotated at 5k & rotated and balanced at 10k, both by the dealer. i don't know whether they tires were rotated IAW the owner's manual.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Yep, 120 wear rating. Very soft tires. Give the tires a bath of Vigera to get them harder!! Tee hee :nana:

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
i know about the softness of my rubbers. i was really hoping to stiffen them up to last 16k, but they may not make it.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I'm commin up at 14k.... and to be honest I don't notice a huge problem... I haven't really taken a close look at em... I'll do so at my next oil-change however when I was under the car... tread seemed to have even wear to me

1 - 20 of 26 Posts