Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need to add a set of performance winter tires to my speed6 but i cant decide on whether or not it is worth the price difference to keep at 18inches or should -1 on the size to save. btw, i understand that there is a benefit to the 17 for snow purposes, but that isnt a concern in my specific case.

most of my winter will be in southern maryland so not much snow, just a lot of cold days where my OEM's would be dangerous. i like the look of 18's on the car since it rides a bit high and im afraid that 17s will look too small.

here are the two setups im considering:

$1028 shipped and balanced
sport edition E3 machined with anthracite accent
dunlop winter sport m3 215/50/17
[attachmentid=15402]

$1340 shipped and balanced
kazera kz-s silver (these are a tiny bit ornate to me, but i like them overall)
pirelli winter 240 sottozero 225/45/18
[attachmentid=15403]

Attachments

·
Registered
449 Posts
So why exactly would you need snow tires when it doesn't snow more than 3-6 times in a year in this area.
Snow tires aren't for cold weather they're for snow/ice. Sure if you have an ultra high performance tire it wouldn't warm up as quick in cold weather but why would you be doing 70 on an on ramp when its icey out?
Save your money.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So why exactly would you need snow tires when it doesn't snow more than 3-6 times in a year in this area.
Snow tires aren't for cold weather they're for snow/ice. Sure if you have an ultra high performance tire it wouldn't warm up as quick in cold weather but why would you be doing 70 on an on ramp when its icey out?
Save your money.
[/b]
summer-only rated tires are unable to adhere in cold temperatures. it is dangerous to run something like that in sub 50's i believe. plus, i only spend "most" of my time in md...the rest of it is spent in syracuse which is basically the snowiest major city in the US (hurray lake effect!!). when im there i have a 20 mile commute on back roads so i cant risk it.

i also don't want to buy a set of all seasons which arent as good in the warm months as my summers or as good in the cold/snow as dedicated winters - it would just be a waste i think.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
summer-only rated tires are unable to adhere in cold temperatures. it is dangerous to run something like that in sub 50's i believe. plus, i only spend "most" of my time in md...the rest of it is spent in syracuse which is basically the snowiest major city in the US (hurray lake effect!!). when im there i have a 20 mile commute on back roads so i cant risk it.

i also don't want to buy a set of all seasons which arent as good in the warm months as my summers or as good in the cold/snow as dedicated winters - it would just be a waste i think.
[/b]
Your reasoning is sound. If I were in your position of looking for dedicated winter tires, the first option I would look at is the Nokian RSI. Nobody does snow and ice tires better than Nokian. Nokian does not make the RSI in 215/50-17, so you would be looking at a 225/50-1, which would work fine on 7" rims. I'm not certain if it is allowed to link to Nokian's USA website in this forum, so instead of a link, I will write "http" colon slash slash "nokiantire.com" slash "newsite" slash "tiresub.cfm?cid=1&sid=1" and let you do the cutting and pasting.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your reasoning is sound. If I were in your position of looking for dedicated winter tires, the first option I would look at is the Nokian RSI. Nobody does snow and ice tires better than Nokian. Nokian does not make the RSI in 215/50-17, so you would be looking at a 225/50-1, which would work fine on 7" rims. I'm not certain if it is allowed to link to Nokian's USA website in this forum, so instead of a link, I will write "http" colon slash slash "nokiantire.com" slash "newsite" slash "tiresub.cfm?cid=1&sid=1" and let you do the cutting and pasting.
[/b]
those are definitely nice tires...just checked em out. unfortunately, they do get a little pricey when talking about aspect ratios less than 60. thanks for the info!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts