Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Waste Gate Actuator (WGA) on the mazdaspeed6 is insufficient and causes the car to DUMP boost after 6k rpm.

We need 1 arizona car to be the test car for a modified WGA that will hold boost all the way to redline.

Most likely you will receive a FREE upgraded WGA and a LARGE possibility of more free parts in the future.

Send me a PM if you are interested.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Or like the hot secretary you work with ;-)

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
How is the wastegate insufficient?

I'd love to see how your wastegate modification is going to make the turbo magically capable of flowing enough air to mantain boost at redline. Please tell me that I don't know more about turbos than the tuners in Arizona. That's embarassing. My turbo education invloved searching Google for a day.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
wastegate actuator not wastegate. the actuator opens the wastegate according to the gauge pressure in the actuator.
[/b]
Right, but the turbo can't maintain sufficient boost at redline. It can't move enough air. The wastegate shouldn't be open at all.

Are you suggesting the wastegate opens at redline because Mazda decided the turbo too big and mighty?

This mod could be good for smoothing out the torque curve and/or adding boost (deliberate overboost) below 5000rpm, that's it. It's not going to affect redline torque at all. My extensive experience with slandering others on forums and my one-day internet turbo education says so.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
I agree that the psi spikes most likely point to an insufficent actuator, but I don't see how modifying the actuator is going to push the torque peak from 3-4k rpm into the upper ranges.

Based on the discussion of compressor maps, turbo discussion, and even some back and forth talk behind aftermarket companies, the problem after 5500 rpm is the turbo sizing.

This isn't to say that you won't see some benefit from pulling the turbo off and porting it, etc. But to push the power peak up another 1200 rpm's (and more importantly, completely reshape the torque curve) isn't exactly a simple endeavor by any means.

Everybody complained about no low end in the 6, so mazda responded with a 6 with tons of low end. You can't have low end AND high end without making some sort of sacrifice.

Turbo discussion thread
http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=50512&st=0

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Right, but the turbo can't maintain sufficient boost at redline. It can't move enough air. The wastegate shouldn't be open at all.

Are you suggesting the wastegate opens at redline because Mazda decided the turbo too big and mighty? This mod could be good for smoothing out the torque curve and/or adding boost (deliberate overboost) down low, that's it.
[/b]
could be the turbo, could be the WGA, could be the fuel system. im not suggesting anything, im just telling u what debears is talking about.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I predict this well end with a "cherry" dyno showing 30whp gains just like AEM did. Actual gain will be 0whp, but with possibly a better torque curve.
[/b]
How do you define "better" torque curve? I thought that more torque at a specifik rpm result in more power at the same rpm. In other words, gains in torque means gains in whp.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
His cousin is Ben, who owns AGP, for those of you that don't know.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I predict this well end with a "cherry" dyno showing 30whp gains just like AEM did. Actual gain will be 0whp, but with possibly a better torque curve.
[/b]

:laugh: I dont live in AZ So I guess Im SOL. :(

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
How do you define "better" torque curve? I thought that more torque at a specifik rpm result in more power at the same rpm. In other words, gains in torque means gains in whp.[/b]
A better torque curve will depend on who is driving the car. Many MPS 6 owners love the low end torque. Some wish they had more grunt past 5500. You can't have peak power at redline and also have lots of low end power.

Right now peak torque is around 3-4k (depending on whether or not you've got an intake, and will probably shift again if you run a turboback). Shifting the peak to 5500 or 6000 will require quite a bit more work then just an intake and exhaust. [though it should be noted, the gains from intake/exhaust are pretty big on FI car's, and you will shift the peaks, just not by 1500-2000 rpm.]

·
Super Moderator
9,080 Posts
i'm with stretch, the actuator will have nothing to do with boost once the turbo runs out of breathe. unless somehow there is a design flaw in the K04 that leads to pressure (vs. vacuum) opening the WG somehow, i don't see this would help?

...but again, this is a free part for whoever tests it. if it doesn't do anyting, then it doesn't do anything, so who really cares? it looks nice, though i don't know if you can see it on the speed6, it's still some bling down there somewhere.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Isn't our WG electronically controlled? No matter how stiff a spring you put in there, the ecu will still open the WG when it wants to, unless you forcefully override the ecu's control, which could lead to the ecu thinking its going to pull boost by 5psi, so it drops fuel by whatever, but your still running 15.7 and ka-boooom.

Jason

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Isn't our WG electronically controlled? No matter how stiff a spring you put in there, the ecu will still open the WG when it wants to, unless you forcefully override the ecu's control, which could lead to the ecu thinking its going to pull boost by 5psi, so it drops fuel by whatever, but your still running 15.7 and ka-boooom.

Jason
[/b]
i had the same thought before but was corrected.

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?show...wastegate&st=30

see kevink2's post at the end of the page.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
The Waste Gate Actuator (WGA) on the mazdaspeed6 is insufficient and causes the car to DUMP boost after 6k rpm[/b]
That's not the main reason for the major power dropoff. Look at the torque drop off...its significantly earlier.

You've lost almost 90 ft/lbs of torque PRIOR to 6k rpm.

From 4400 rpm to 6000 rpm the car loses about 90 ft/lbs of torque. This loss is from tuning/sizing for low end torque and power.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
About this Discussion
42 Replies
17 Participants
666S
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing