Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After upgrading my last car (91 Bonneville SSE) to a Mazdaspeed6, I missed my carputer in my Bonnie, so I've started on one for my Speed. Unfortanatly the '06 Canadian models don't have factory GPS so I'll remidy that soon enough. I already had most of the components from my old install, but wanted to do a more "Factory" or "Stealth" install in the Speed, with info from this forum I was able to purchase the Aux-Mod, and start. I've got a Carnetix DC-DC converter to power an up and coming Mac Mini (I'll triple boot with Windows, Tiger, and Linux to get the best of all worlds), I purchased the mac-pac power cables and ran them to the center console. 4 Gauge wire from the battery to a distro block that tapers off to 8 gauge to feed both the Carnetix DC-DC and the hopefully soon arriving SPAL Linear actuator. Anywho, for any who are interested I'll be posting progess here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mazdaspeed6/s...57594285282617/

:drive:

·
Registered
249 Posts
nice... where in canada are u? wouldnt mind seeing the project.. :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Close to Edmonton, I don't have the Mac Mini yet.

·
Registered
293 Posts
very nice looking, i cant wait to see it finished

·
Registered
829 Posts
Yeah, I am liking it. I would probably do this to my NICE, since I have the ghetto manual way of snapping the screen into place.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can tell you, theres nothing like taking a rotozip to a brand new mazdaspeed6 map lid. :)

·
Registered
536 Posts
Looks very nice!!! Cant wait to see the Mac running on it

What kinda material is used for the screen surround?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll be using Kydex T, I'm waiting for it to ship from ebay, the main problem with living in Canada is availibility.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I'll be using Kydex T, I'm waiting for it to ship from ebay, the main problem with living in Canada is availibility.
[/b]

I am not familiar with that material, is it like a thinner MDF material?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, its a plastic alloy, used for such things like aircraft interiors, and medical clean rooms, its more durable than ABS, and has better heat forming properties, so it will be one piece thats heat bent around the screen, just like the cardbord, I didn't want any seams or glue joints.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Any updated tkv000?

Just trying to see how you are planning to mount the actuator and control it. Thanks!

·
Registered
249 Posts
hes going to work on it thursday apparently... then post some more pics... :)

now if only i can get a dang carpc and screen... workin on gettin a imac mini duo right now... :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Indeed, I recived the actuator last Friday but have been busy, I'll do some heavy duty work on it this weekend, I've started rounding up some parts, more pics added! :drive:

I wired it up on my test bench and worked wonderfully! closed with loss of ignition, open with ignition and fully programable.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mazdaspeed6/s...57594285282617/

·
Registered
626 Posts
how big is ur screen??
Im also doing a carputer project. I have a 8in touchscreen. Im pretty much stuck on the screen because i already have everything setup to go

·
Registered
249 Posts
8" might be a tight fit... but since you have to mod the crap out of the mapbox anyways... it may work... is it a 8" widescreen?

·
Registered
626 Posts
8" might be a tight fit... but since you have to mod the crap out of the mapbox anyways... it may work... is it a 8" widescreen?
[/b]
naw its a 8....
When i have my screen in, I'll take a pic of my crappy setup

1 - 20 of 37 Posts