Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

First time post. I live in Canada and bought my MSP6 in August. I have a couple of issues with the car and I only bring these up because the FM has been R'd (as in RTFM):

1. Keyless entry system
The automatic locking feature works sporadically. Sometimes it locks, sometimes it doesn't. I can't seem to decipher any rhyme or reason why. If anyone can offer some insight or tell me how to turn this annoying feature off, that would be great.

2. MP3 playability
My stereo doesn't play MP3 data CDs. The owner's manual says it should. Maybe this is a difference between the US and CAN models. Again, any insight here would be very helpful.

3. Stainless steel/aluminum scuff plates on door sills
According to the website, the car should have them. Mine doesn't. I suspect this is another US/CAN thing, but I'm not sure.

4. Heated side mirrors
I don't think my car has these. There's no little 'defrost symbol' sticker on the side mirrors, which is why I suspect this. Oh, and the side mirrors fog and ice up like crazy when it's cold.

Those are my issues. Help?

·
Registered
488 Posts
Hi all,

First time post. I live in Canada and bought my MSP6 in August. I have a couple of issues with the car and I only bring these up because the FM has been R'd (as in RTFM):

1. Keyless entry system
The automatic locking feature works sporadically. Sometimes it locks, sometimes it doesn't. I can't seem to decipher any rhyme or reason why. If anyone can offer some insight or tell me how to turn this annoying feature off, that would be great.

2. MP3 playability
My stereo doesn't play MP3 data CDs. The owner's manual says it should. Maybe this is a difference between the US and CAN models. Again, any insight here would be very helpful.

According to the website, the car should have them. Mine doesn't. I suspect this is another US/CAN thing, but I'm not sure.

4. Heated side mirrors
I don't think my car has these. There's no little 'defrost symbol' sticker on the side mirrors, which is why I suspect this. Oh, and the side mirrors fog and ice up like crazy when it's cold.

Those are my issues. Help?
[/b]
Dealer can turn off the autolock. The side mirror defrost work only when you push the button in that says front defrost, I think it is above the mode button, the top half. Mine has the SS scuff also, US model.

No input on the MP3 interface.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Thank you sir.

Any idea where I might be able to get me some of them scuff plates?
[/b]
If any are missing in your area, we will now know where to look.

I don't know how the cars are optioned in different areas. Mine is an 06 GT. Is your's a Sport or an '07 by chance? I am sure a parts guy can find them, check with one of the dealer sponors on the site for pricing.

You also might want to check out the search function. It turned up several posts on this, such as:http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=58382&hl=scuff+plates

There are very few new questions. Welcome to the MS6 world and this forum.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
1. Keyless entry system
[/b]
Although I don't have the auto-lock feature enabled on my car, I have had issues with the trunk request switch failing. Before it was replaced, sometimes none of the request switches would work from time to time. You could have a similar issue with a failing switch.

2. MP3 playability
[/b]
In my (U.S.) manual, the MP3 functionality is described, but the manual states that it only applies to vehicles with the MP3 equipment. Mazda makes a replacement radio that includes MP3 funtionality. It's not very hard to install, but it is kind of expensive. There are a few people on the forum that that have sprung for the radio. If you search around, you should be able to find pricing information.

[/b]
I'm pretty sure all the U.S. models have the scuff plates. You may be right that this is a difference for the CAN models.

4. Heated side mirrors
[/b]
My mirrors do not have a defrost symbol, but they are heated. The mirror heaters operate when the rear window defroster is enabled. I believe the heated mirrors are only available on the Grand Touring models.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I had the same problem with the autolock once a while. I'm not sure if it's related to interference from my cell phone. It does mention about possible interference from cellphone signal if it is close to your keycard in the instruction. Just pay attention to the beep when you close the door, if you hear the beep the car should lock itself soon after. You can always push the request button to lock immediately.

I don't really care about MP3 capability on CD player. I don't even remember the last time when I bought a blank CD. Get a MP3 player, it holds thousands of songs with no need to fumble with CDs. To me, CDs are out like cassette tapes.

It never mentioned aluminum scuff plates, it says scuff plates which we do get in plastic. I was a bit misled about this too. Even the spd3 gets aluminum scuff plates, we don't.

Side mirrors are heated, just turn on your defrost.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I had the same problem with the autolock once a while. I'm not sure if it's related to interference from my cell phone. It does mention about possible interference from cellphone signal if it is close to your keycard in the instruction. Just pay attention to the beep when you close the door, if you hear the beep the car should lock itself soon after. You can always push the request button to lock immediately.
[/b]
+1 on listening to the beep.

When next to my blackberry, the keycard doesn't operate, it doesn't even allow me to start the car??? But often even without my phone, the autolock fails.

Anybody else experiencing this?

·
Registered
130 Posts
+1 on listening to the beep.

When next to my blackberry, the keycard doesn't operate, it doesn't even allow me to start the car??? But often even without my phone, the autolock fails.

Anybody else experiencing this?
[/b]

Since I have had the car (not too long) ... It has failed once. Here is what happened. I had my kid in the back and I opened the locks from the inside switch .. got him out and shut the door .. walked away and didn't hear the beep ... I opened my door and closed it .. walked away and then it worked .

Crowley

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Since I have had the car (not too long) ... It has failed once. Here is what happened. I had my kid in the back and I opened the locks from the inside switch .. got him out and shut the door .. walked away and didn't hear the beep ... I opened my door and closed it .. walked away and then it worked .

Crowley
[/b]
I believe the driver's side door has to be the last one closed in order for auto-lock to engage.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I believe the driver's side door has to be the last one closed in order for auto-lock to engage.
[/b]
It works with any doors or trunk on mine.
Usually I'll jump out of the car, close the door and walk away looking cool and all. Hate it when I don't hear the beep, then I have to turn around and hit the request button.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the feedback, guys. I wasn't aware of the cell phone interference issue with the auto-locking. I am still going to investigate having the dealer turn off that "feature". It's very annoying when technology tries too hard to think for you...

The MP3 issue, well, that just sucks but what can you do?

Ditto on the scuff plates. I'm sure one of the Calgary dealers can bring those in for me, but my experience with local parts departments is not good (i.e. Sunridge Mazda).

Side mirrors being heated - it's silly that you need to turn on your rear defrost to activate them. My '02 WRX did it automatically - much simpler. But now I know.

Thanks everyone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts