Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
why is the intercooler so small??? and you took out the cold air and replaced it with a short air intake !!! :huh:

but congrats on the work !!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
why is the intercooler so small??? and you took out the cold air and replaced it with a short air intake !!! :huh:

[/b]
There was no cold air on my car to begin with and personally I feel much safer with short ram then with a CAI.IMO.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
If you have an efficient enough intercooler then a cai is not that much different than a short ram, since the air is heated by going into the turbo and from compression anyway. Short ram may even be better, due to the smaller distance from the filter to the compressor=less lag.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
If you have an efficient enough intercooler then a cai is not that much different than a short ram, since the air is heated by going into the turbo and from compression anyway. Short ram may even be better, due to the smaller distance from the filter to the compressor=less lag.
[/b]
Here we go again..J/K. My somewhat uneducated .02 is to agree that the SRI, with a more efficent IC may be the better option. Time will tell. I look forward to all the opions on this (at least now that dabears is suspended I guess I do not have to be worried about being called names).

·
Registered
47 Posts
Damn I cant wait to get this car back and feel the difference, Ill make sure to get lots of pics for you guys and do a little write up on how it feels, performs, etc.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[/b]
very correct

[/b]
Size: 3" thick, 14" long, 11" tall is not small by any means. thats a pretty thick and tall core and by checking the competitor's model, does not look much smaller length wise if at all than their own. Having a bigger core does not always equate to a better core. The design of the flow paths and and the endtanks (not welded on in this image) is paramount to sheer size. one must also provide adequete flow to the radiator. normally this would be a compromise, however we feel that the inherent efficiency and design of the BEGi core does not make it a compromise in the least.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Is there any performance gains stated in getting the FMIC?

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Always good to hear there are other options in the market for our cars. Thanks for the effort and hope others will find your product useful.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is there any performance gains stated in getting the FMIC?
[/b]
we're expecting great gains over the stock intercooler. of course everyone is going to want to know dynos. dyno numbers are great for baseline comparisons but we're more interested in the overall performance gain; pressure drop/gain, air temperature reductions, less heatsoak and parasitic power loss, smooth acceleration onset and air flow. its easy to throw a big mouth intercooler onto the car and claim 30whp gains from one dyno run. what happens when you get on the street for a few protracted pulls? what happens to the water temps when your radiator has restricted air flow - a radiator is basically an intercooler in its own right and requires as much air as an intercooler would to do its job right.

we feel that at stock boost, to speak generally, we expect the car to pull harder, spool faster, show slight air pressure gains even at stock boost and a cooler intake charge. all this equates to what people really want to see - horsepower numbers :) - all while doing so in a way that does not compromise the reliability and functionality of the rest of the vehicle.

Where are you located? That looks like a MN license plate. It would be nice to have a tuner/shop nearby.
[/b]
we are located in Chicago, IL. we have a few nationwide sales reps and development facilities that we farm out projects like this to, including one near the Twin Cities.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Its nice to hear that there's a shop within driving distance of Milwaukee. Keep up the good work.
[/b]
let me know if there is anything you want or need. i try to help local guys out whenever i can.

·
Registered
490 Posts
let me know if there is anything you want or need. i try to help local guys out whenever i can.
[/b]
I'm Still Waiting! Semi-Patiently :nana:

Just remember to keep the bends as smooth as possible.
And the rest - As for the Size of the IC. Remember FOLKS, SIZE isn't everything. There is a Volume and Pressure area that must be kept. Adding Piping and bends changes this. So the correct IC must be mated to the best piping size, when bends and length are corrolated. So to see 1 3/4 piping to 2 1/2, with a mid size IC(FMIC), is NOT surprizing. Surface area and charge rate drop come into effect.

Let Me know KEN..

RZ

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
just so everyone has a number to crunch, the core is rated at 675 CFM.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
here are pics of the core with endtanks. should answer any fears of a 'small' core being used;

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Gotta see a Dyno and price, but you knew that already.... looks promising!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Looks like the air is going to go strait through the intercooler. Does it tapper inside, both inlet and outlets?

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
the endtank pipes are aligned here so most of the air will be running straight through the upper middle of the IC. i hope that when this IC is mounted, this portion of the IC will see a good amount of ambient airflow given the limited space in the grill behind the bumper. from the pictures ive seen of other FMICs on the ms6, they all have their endtank entrances nearer to the bottom of the IC, where there is maximum ambient airflow. the bottom portion of the IC here will see little boosted air traveling through, but will get maximum cooling.

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
wouldn't that depend on the veins inside the IC? all you need is a couple plates directing air and the outside look becomes irrelivent. though, i don't know if it's like that, i can't say this design is flawed without knowing more. don't want to discourage people before they even know everything.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts