Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here we are ladies and gents; Mazda6Online's FMIC kit for the MS6 is getting the final details tidied up and is ready for full production. This is a high quality kit that cuts no corners and is a complete solution needing no modification, no cutting and no addition purchase by the end user. Simply install and drive. The components included are;

- Bar and Plate Intercooler Core from Bell Intercoolers (www.bellintercoolers.com, www.bellengineering.net) Size: 3" thick, 14" long, 11" tall. Anyone who knows anything about turbocharging and forced induction knows nothing will outperform a BEGi core.
- GReddy RS Blow Off Valve with machined recirculation fittings
- Precision machined MAF sensor mounting point
- Polished Mandrel Bent stainless steel pipes
- Vibrant Hardened Heat Resistant Couplers
- Constant Torque Stainless Clamps
- Custom Air Intake setup complete with K&N Air Filter

We'll announce final pricing next week as well as dyno results from the installed kit. There will be introductory discount pricing for forum members, so PM me if interested.

[attachmentid=16686]
[attachmentid=16687]

[attachmentid=16688]

[attachmentid=16689] [attachmentid=16690]

Attachments

·
Registered
364 Posts
Interested in dyno results. Kudos for offering another choice for those that want a FMIC!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looking like the CAI kits over half of us have won't fit with this kit?
[/b]
more than likely no, sorry. this was done to simplify installation and reduce any nasty cutting or modification of the stock vehicle that would otherwise compromise value.

Interested in dyno results. Kudos for offering another choice for those that want a FMIC!
[/b]
dyno results will be here as soon as the car is buttoned up mid next week. thanks for the kudos :)

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
I respect the work and time put into it, but I wouldn't have a made a kit that won't work with so many peoples cars...

I think if the price is right it will sell.... any thoughts on it?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Hummm... I've been looking at the IC placement on a lot of the pictures... it seems like either A) much of the brick is blocked by the upper bumper... or B) its really.. really small... The stock top-mounted core looks a good deal larger than this... The stock EVO core... also looks quite a bit larger...

That being said... It sounds like this kit is for complete stock speed6's only. Like the above replies stated.... I have a CAI, AND HKS Bov already.... so if i'd have to "trash" those two in order to get this kit... Thats just not gonna fly. CAI was around 250.. and BOV kit was quite a lot as well...

If my BOV worked with this setup... that would be a small step forward to being a possible buy.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Thanks for coming out with a product for our MS6! It's great to have aftermarket support, and a choice of different approaches. Irregardless of opinions (which we all know everybody has one) on the design you chose, your efforts are very welcome. I look forward to the test results.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I respect the work and time put into it, but I wouldn't have a made a kit that won't work with so many peoples cars...
[/b]

This will fit everyone's cars...this won't fit with the CAI's many of us have on the car now.

·
Registered
721 Posts
yes this kit will fit everyone's car, you will have to remove the existing intake and bpv be it stock or aftermarket but it will work. what you choose to do with the existing components are your choice. can you say ebay?

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Nice looking kit!

This routing of the pipes is what I had asked CPe about... this looks much cleaner and cooler...

For everyone's info... any ballpark idea of the price for this?

·
Registered
795 Posts
whats up with that intercooler????? looks to me very small :huh:

·
Registered
820 Posts
if you actually want to sell more than 3 of these kits you will take this advice.

1:) go to a wider, not taller core
2:) make sure it will work with the aftermarket CAI's out there, or at least 1 brand, fujita would be the best for your kit because the pipe is bent and it uses a straight coupler to the turbo inlet pipe.
3:) make your BOV section a removable piece of pipe and offer the Greddy/HKS bung and a stock BPV version, also how are you going to run the recirc hose? Make sure the stock valve works. Unless your kit is like 800 bucks with the intake and greddy valve, it is not a wise decision.
Again, just my opinion so you can get some different viewpoints. Any by the way, the pipe layout is awesome, really good design, that's how my drawing was, when I was laying out my kit, it seemed to use about 1 foot less of piping on the top side of the engine. Good Luck!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
if you actually want to sell more than 3 of these kits you will take this advice.

1:) go to a wider, not taller core
2:) make sure it will work with the aftermarket CAI's out there, or at least 1 brand, fujita would be the best for your kit because the pipe is bent and it uses a straight coupler to the turbo inlet pipe.
3:) make your BOV section a removable piece of pipe and offer the Greddy/HKS bung and a stock BPV version, also how are you going to run the recirc hose? Make sure the stock valve works. Unless your kit is like 800 bucks with the intake and greddy valve, it is not a wise decision.
Again, just my opinion so you can get some different viewpoints. Any by the way, the pipe layout is awesome, really good design, that's how my drawing was, when I was laying out my kit, it seemed to use about 1 foot less of piping on the top side of the engine. Good Luck!
[/b]
1) Size: 3" thick, 14" long, 11" tall is not small by any means. thats a pretty thick and tall core and by checking the competitor's model, does not look much smaller length wise if at all than their own. Having a bigger core does not always equate to a better core. The design of the flow paths and and the endtanks (not welded on in this image) is paramount to sheer size. one must also provide adequete flow to the radiator. normally this would be a compromise, however we feel that the inherent efficiency and design of the BEGi core does not make it a compromise in the least. length VS height is really not a factor in how well this core cools the intake charge, how well and smooth it flows the intake charge and overall pressure loss/gain. consider that this core will be getting air flow from both the upper grille and lower grille areas.
2) at this final design phase that is likely not going to happen, sorry
3) this is an option we are heavily considering, have no fears. we expect there to be a two to three hundred dollar difference between those with and without a GReddy setup.

we're expecting great gains over the stock intercooler. of course everyone is going to want to know dynos. dyno numbers are great for baseline comparisons but we're more interested in the overall performance gain; pressure drop/gain, air temperature reductions, less heatsoak and parasitic power loss, smooth acceleration onset and air flow. its easy to throw a big mouth intercooler onto the car and claim 30whp gains from one dyno run. what happens when you get on the street for a few protracted pulls? what happens to the water temps when your radiator has restricted air flow - a radiator is basically an intercooler in its own right and requires as much air as an intercooler would to do its job right.

we feel that at stock boost, to speak generally, we expect the car to pull harder, spool faster, show slight air pressure gains even at stock boost and a cooler intake charge. all this equates to what people really want to see - horsepower numbers 5.gif - all while doing so in a way that does not compromise the reliability and functionality of the rest of the vehicle.

·
Registered
399 Posts
This looks great, Best looking pipe routing I have seen so far. Kudos for bieng the first to bring something out.

As for CAI vs. Short Ram I can say from personal experience that with a proper core and piping set-up the differences in intake temperature charge will be minimal. On my previous car I measured the difference and saw a difference of only 2-3 degrees.

How is the TMIC coming along?

·
Registered
403 Posts
This looks great, Best looking pipe routing I have seen so far. Kudos for bieng the first to bring something out.

As for CAI vs. Short Ram I can say from personal experience that with a proper core and piping set-up the differences in intake temperature charge will be minimal. On my previous car I measured the difference and saw a difference of only 2-3 degrees.

[/b]
Interesting challenge to forum dogma on the SRI. How do you take the measurements and is it done in close to real world conditions?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Interesting challenge to forum dogma on the SRI. How do you take the measurements and is it done in close to real world conditions?
[/b]
Measurements were done in my Mazdaspeed Protege where the SRI and CAI filter placement is pretty similar to the MS6 with the SRI filter being over the hole in the fender.

I was running a Haltech E6X EMS that had a temperature probe 3" from the throttle body that measured Intake Air Temperature.

Conditions were all conditions. In the cool evening air or the hot summer day, I saw very little variance when talking about SRI vs. CAI. Most of the time it only increased temps by a 2-3 degrees. At it's peak it was 5-6 during the hardest of driving on a hot day but not enough to make a real performance difference. Like I said, a lot of it depends on your Intercooler core. WIth a proper intercooler core and placement of SIR air filter, the SRI vs. CAI difference is minimized. On a stock intercooler core in the MS6 it's likely to make more of a difference. But in the case of Ken's kit, the inclusion of an SRI instead of a CAI is not necessarily a bad thing.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
[/b]
measurements can be taken one of several ways. a good method is to use a scantool to read real-time intake charge temps from the car's intake air temperature sensor. one can also place that sensor closer to the throttle body for post IC core measurements as well.

we've worked on many types of cars, mazdas specifically, and found that the 'gains' from an SRI vs CAI are minimal at best in terms of street conditions.

[/b]
pictures of that particular project are pending my approval before we announce anything. :yesnod:

·
Registered
721 Posts
AFAIK SRI is supposed to be better for turbo's than CAI. I don't think anyone of us will have a problem selling our CAI to members or future owners who do not currently have a CAI.

P.S. I thought there were clearance issues with running the IC pipe other than right over the valve cover. Did you have to remove the stock IC ducting?

1 - 20 of 94 Posts