Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didnt really know where to post this so i posted it in dyno and here in cause some of you guys stay in here the most. Anyways, I went and got my speed6 dynoed for the first time today and here are the numbers. All I have done to the car is a cp-e intake.

I dont know but does the hp seem alittle low. Maybe its not but they said that power loss to the wheels for an awd is roughly 17-20 percent. If i say 20 percent, that would be roughly 270 hp and 320ftlbs of torque. I just expected hp in the 230's because of the intake. But my hp isnt even what mazda claims, but the torque is way more than they advertise. Whats goin on here?

·
Registered
259 Posts
I didnt really know where to post this so i posted it in dyno and here in cause some of you guys stay in here the most. Anyways, I went and got my speed6 dynoed for the first time today and here are the numbers. All I have done to the car is a cp-e intake.

I dont know but does the hp seem alittle low. Maybe its not but they said that power loss to the wheels for an awd is roughly 17-20 percent. If i say 20 percent, that would be roughly 270 hp and 320ftlbs of torque. I just expected hp in the 230's because of the intake. But my hp isnt even what mazda claims, but the torque is way more than they advertise. Whats goin on here?
[/b]
For the eleventh and a half billionth time. You CANNOT compare numbers between dynos. Each is calibrated diffrently and there is absolutely no way to guarantee a standard on chasis dynos.

The diffrence between one dyno and the next can be 50+ horsepower at times.

·
Registered
353 Posts
For the eleventh and a half billionth time. You CANNOT compare numbers between dynos. Each is calibrated diffrently and there is absolutely no way to guarantee a standard on chasis dynos.

[/b]
In some cases, even more than that. Such as an Evo making 600+ hp on one dyno, then went to another and made over 900. Something along those lines. I think one was a dynojet and the other, not a mustang but whatever the third kind is called. I forget.

The only way to make a comparison is to dyno the car before and after mods, Otherwise trying to compare your numbers to a different dyno on a different day with different weather conditions is pointless.

·
Registered
561 Posts
^^^ what he said. as far as i know dynojets tend to show higher numbers also. your best bet is to do a baseline run without the intake and see what it shows on the same dyno. as you keep adding or changing parts, keep the dyno and your fuel octane the same to see what youre really gaining (or losing) with said parts.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Too many factors come into play. The higher the correction factor, the more likely for highly varied numbers. Dynos are supposed to have calibrations for current atmospheric conditions and elevation, but that is only the newer versions, and many have never upgraded to this. Older ones relied on operator to input the correct specs on all weather (temp, humidity, wind speed, barametric pressure...) conditions and alittude.
Don't worry about this one. Just keep using the same dyno as you upgrade.

Thanks,
Jason

·
Registered
721 Posts
those numbers sound about right. 274 x .8 = 219.2. you made 224 peak which is in line. the CAI would give gains across the curve so don't be too concerned about max gains only. And yes the torque was underated from the factory.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
really, I had no idea that each dyno would be different. I figured that there would be standard or calibration or something. Oh well, I guess ill just use this same dyno for everything. Im gonna probably get a pull for every mod that i put on. That way I can post the results on here and everyone can see real world gains.

[/b]
also, you havent told me once, much less eleven and a half billion times. No need to be a smartmouth. Im on here trying to learn.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I don't "get it". I mean, I'm a noob and all, but I still try to educate myself best as I can. How exactly are we supposed to measure the power of our car?

p5freak went ahead of a lot of people with mods and a lot of people were very negative to his claims, "Show us a dyno! Your mods don't mean anything with a dyno." But then whenever a dyno a comes up, people explain how useless they are.

I understand the explanation of using a baseline and then comparing the differences, but how exactly could two people compare the power of their cars when they don't have access to the same dyno? Is there any exact science to this?

Why is calculating HP so difficult? I understand the concept behind marketing (skewing results, etc) but something as important as HP, that is used to measure ALL thing auto performance, seems like it would have been set in stone by now.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't "get it". I mean, I'm a noob and all, but I still try to educate myself best as I can. How exactly are we supposed to measure the power of our car?

p5freak went ahead of a lot of people with mods and a lot of people were very negative to his claims, "Show us a dyno! Your mods don't mean anything with a dyno." But then whenever a dyno a comes up, people explain how useless they are.

I understand the explanation of using a baseline and then comparing the differences, but how exactly could two people compare the power of their cars when they don't have access to the same dyno? Is there any exact science to this?

Why is calculating HP so difficult? I understand the concept behind marketing (skewing results, etc) but something as important as HP, that is used to measure ALL thing auto performance, seems like it would have been set in stone by now.
[/b]
Thats what im saying, I totally agree.

·
Registered
156 Posts
That is the problem, this is not a science. There are how many different types of "dynos"? Dyno jet in ground, dyno jet above ground, mustang dyno, "rolling road" that Comptech USA uses/used, dyna pack, AutoDyn dyno (by the superflo corporation), and a few others. They all optain and calculate their power in different ways. Most dynos do not actually measure HP, they measure torque and use an equation to arrive at hp. There are so many measurement standards out there too: Normal, standard, SAE, japan has their own standard and so on.
Things such as gearing can have an effect on the final dyno numbers. Too many variables to compare one car in CA to another in NC. Too many to even compare two cars in the same city using different dynos across the street from each other.

Thanks,
Jason

·
Registered
803 Posts
accurate dyno numbers FOR YOU: dyno it stock. then dyno with mod(s) on the same dyno. that isn't useless, it shows whether or not the car picked up power from your replacing parts on it.

you want something a little more universal? go to the track. run it down the 1/4 stock, and then with mods

even this is not a perfect science as temps, driver skill, track prep etc. all come into play.

the only car you can make comparisons of your car to is....your car. before and after. it just won't be the same with everyone. dyno's and even track times posted by anyone other than you should be taken as an example, not a law. but if YOUR car improves its hp and track times over where it was before, thats all that matters. thats why i hate to see arguments over peak hp proved by dynos. sure the graph looks pretty and all, and holy cow it says you've got 800 hp woop-de-doo. line up the two cars and go at it. thats the REAL test. otherwise, cool, let them have their day, just be concerned over whether your improving YOUR car.

almost forgot, OP: nice numbers :) i love to see all that torque

·
Registered
322 Posts
Sorry if I sounded preturbed, and I understand what everyone is saying, I'm just very surprised that the numbers can be so varying.

If HP = (Torque * RPM) / 5252, and the car gives a relatively accurate readout of RPM, then I guess this means that torque is extremely difficult to calculate. I have no idea what goes into reading torque so I'll just leave it at that. :-D

·
Registered
168 Posts
You're along the lines ... No way anyone can tell you how much hp YOUR ms6 makes. If you really want to know, dyno it again, 2 runs, one with it on, one without. That will tell you the answer.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You're along the lines ... No way anyone can tell you how much hp YOUR ms6 makes. If you really want to know, dyno it again, 2 runs, one with it on, one without. That will tell you the answer.
[/b]
Oh, I know that, I was just asking because these seem like stock numbers. I figured it would be in the 230's with the intake. I was wrong. I getting the down pipe and exhaust and then Ill dyno it again to see the difference.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Sorry if I sounded preturbed, and I understand what everyone is saying, I'm just very surprised that the numbers can be so varying.

If HP = (Torque * RPM) / 5252, and the car gives a relatively accurate readout of RPM, then I guess this means that torque is extremely difficult to calculate. I have no idea what goes into reading torque so I'll just leave it at that. :-D
[/b]
Not sure how other systems measure it, but the Dynojet Dyno use the mass of the given roller (in/above ground) and calculates the torque taking into account how fast the car can accelerate the roller and so on. Variances can be due to the alignment of the car, the alignment of the tires on the roller, the amount of pressure in the tires increases drag and so on. Not sure of all the variables, but those are a few I have encountered.

Thanks,
Jason

·
Registered
721 Posts
Oh, I know that, I was just asking because these seem like stock numbers. I figured it would be in the 230's with the intake. I was wrong. I getting the down pipe and exhaust and then Ill dyno it again to see the difference.
[/b]

it's better to think of our platform as a bottle with two necks. if you remove the bottleneck at the front the one in the back is still robbing power and vice versa. but once you do both, BINGO! just wait and see.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
it's better to think of our platform as a bottle with two necks. if you remove the bottleneck at the front the one in the back is still robbing power and vice versa. but once you do both, BINGO! just wait and see.
[/b]
well, Im ordering the exhaust and then soon the downpipe(when it becomes available). I will get another dyno done using the same dyno and compare the results from this one as soon as I have the exhaust and dp. What you are saying makes perfect since though

·
Registered
217 Posts
Mazda overclaimed horsepowr and underestimated torque. 274 hp? I would suggest they overestimated the horsepower so people didn't think our cars make diesel-style power. (200 hp, 450 tq)

Should have been rated 250 or even 260 and 300 tq.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts