Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone on the boards autocrossing a mazdaspeed6? Also does anyone know what class it will be in? I'm a little worried that the weight will not make it competative.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Anyone on the boards autocrossing a mazdaspeed6? Also does anyone know what class it will be in? I'm a little worried that the weight will not make it competative.
[/b]
There was a thread about it in the MS section... one guy got FTD with his speed ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wiggum, I read in another post that you got your windows tinted in orlando. Are you a local? If you've autocrossed your car do you go to the one out in Lake City technical institute, Martin Sports something or another? Also you're running 8in wide tires, what width and have you experience any rubbing? I'm thinking about 17x8s like Rota boosts or something with a 225 tire.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I was a total newb to autocrossing... until today. Took my car out and had a blast. I'll have to edit this post to put in my times (though I know they weren't fantastic). Though I have these nice pictures a photographer took today.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I was a total newb to autocrossing... until today. Took my car out and had a blast. I'll have to edit this post to put in my times (though I know they weren't fantastic). Though I have these nice pictures a photographer took today.

[/b]

that looks AWESOME. I can't wait to get out there!

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Holy crap, looking at your front driver's side tire deform makes me feel bad for it.

Bigger sway bars, firmer springs, and camber adjustment would help immensely. Looks good though!

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
The speed6 is in DS for the SCCA for those interested :) kills, you guys aren't required to run number on your cars?

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
What front tire pressure were you running? You might want to try 42 or so next time. If you were already that high, try raising it a bit higher. the rollover on your drivers side right tire is rediculous. Poor tire is getting the beating of a lifetime. Awesome example though. Look at that tread deform!

Adjusting tire pressures should help reduce that. That car needs wider wheels like no other.

·
Registered
428 Posts
They were all ~40psi. I knew they should be higher but I was new and more concerned with other things at the time. lol. Still quite a good time for my first outing.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Wiggum, I read in another post that you got your windows tinted in orlando. Are you a local? If you've autocrossed your car do you go to the one out in Lake City technical institute, Martin Sports something or another? Also you're running 8in wide tires, what width and have you experience any rubbing? I'm thinking about 17x8s like Rota boosts or something with a 225 tire.
[/b]
Yeah I'll be at the Mothers Day event in my speed6...

Mods on the car are CP-E intake, HKS BOV, and 18x8 wheels...

No rubbing BTW....

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Wiggum,

I know you constantly love to profess that your tires don't rub...but they do on other owners cars.

As such, your recommendation should be that the tires "could rub" on another owners car, and they "may have to" roll their rear fender lips.

As you well know, there are multiple accounts of your combination rubbing on many many owners 6's. As such I would treat your case as special, instead of issuing a blanket statement that the particular combination doesn't rub.

For example...

"I don't have any rubbing on my car, but other owners have rubbed with this combination. I may have a specific alignment difference that prevents rubbing, or I might not be encountering situations which fully compress my rear suspension. As such, you should be possibly prepared to roll your rear fender lips, especially if you engage in aggressive driving, or plan on lowering the car enough to increase the frequency of rubbing."

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Yup. I can only figure that your suspension spec differs enough from the other owners that you avoid it, or you are never fully compressing your rear suspension, or you did rub one, and pushed the lip out far enough, that additional rubbing no longer occurs.

I'm just saying I know your car doesn't rub, but your combo's have rubbed on many other mazda owners, enough to make your situation a special case instead of an average example.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Wiggum-
You've probably posted this elsewhere, but what are the specs of your wheels and tires?

As far as Autocrossing, the D class includes such notables as pretty much every large displacement non-M 3-series (with the exception of the included E-36 M3), WRX's (Non-STi), some Eclipses, G35, VW R32, and various other stuff.
See Here: http://www.moutons.org/sccasolo/Lists/stockc.html
Frankly, in the right hands, I see no reason a Mazdaspeed6 can't do fantastically well in this class. The 3-series being the typical threat, but they understeer way too much for an autocross course. I plan on introducing mine to the Autocross circuit on May 20th in Fresno. I expect to do well with most in this area in the class driving WRX's.

·
Registered
318 Posts

[/b]
You'll be hooked now. AutoX rocks! Those are some sweet pics man. Your car looks good out there. Hell, it looks good anywhere!

What tires are you running? As arch4life said, seems like an impressive amount of grip to be on 3 wheels in the rain...

·
Registered
428 Posts
The results are in and I came in 14th out of 26 people. My best time was 51.18 (with a cone) and the FTD was 45.911 by a Subaru RS. I think when I go out next time I will do much better. Especially when I'm not making newbie mistakes like forgetting to turn off DSC, making sure my tires are properly inflated, not screwing up the same turn 2 times in a row.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
12 Participants
Chucky12012
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing