Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K, I thought that "other thread" clarified this, but then I read this article:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/driven/64700/mazda_6_mps.html

And again it mentions the following:

Under normal circumstances all of that power is fed to the front wheels via a slick-shifting six-speed 'box, but an electronically controlled Active Torque Split differential can redirect as much as 50 per cent of the drive to the rear if necessary. The system has three programmes, Normal, Sport and Stability, which the electronic brain switches between, without the driver's knowledge, depending on road speed, steering angle, lateral g, yaw rate and engine speed. A limited-slip diff in the rear axle further aids traction and stability. Mazda claims the MPS is good for a 6.6sec sprint to 62mph and rock- solid at its maximum 150mph.[/b]
Based on info posted in this forum, I thought it generally agreed upon that the car is a front driver only at very low speeds or at stable highway speeds. Other than that, the car operates at a 50/50 split constantly.

Either these journalists are clueless or the car really operates in FWD most of the time. These guys must be getiing the info from a Mazda press kit.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
it's front wheel drive most of the time
until the sensors activate the rear wheels for additional traction
this is out of the driver's control, the cpu does everything automatically
so if you want to utilise for 4 wheels all the time, that's impossible unless u mod it

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Saying the car has a 50/50 torque split is just the marketing department talking. It's more complicated than that. Please read the thread entitled "AWD Sport mode 100% time?"

The system is 100% FWD with a variable lock-up. At full lock-up, the car is essentially a 4x4- the center differential is locked and thus no longer really a differential. With a locked differential, all engine torque can go either front or rear as needed up to the holding power of the coupling clutch.

There is no torque split on this car as defined by a planetary gearset. So, the car is either FWD, a 4x4, or inbetween.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
The car is far different than a 4x4...

A 4x4 system will send 25% of the engines power to each wheel all the time...

And I assure you under load I can feel the speed6 sending power different ways, going in heavy to a corner you can feel the power shift to the rear, and as soon as the rear lets loose it comes back up front for traction... DEFINATELY not a 4x4...

·
Registered
5,757 Posts

A 4x4 system will send 25% of the engines power to each wheel all the time... [/b]
This is only true if each wheel has exactly the same amount of grip. When is that ever true?!

And I assure you under load I can feel the speed6 sending power different ways, going in heavy to a corner you can feel the power shift to the rear, and as soon as the rear lets loose it comes back up front for traction... DEFINATELY not a 4x4...[/b]
That'd be the "inbetween" stage.

Can we just consolidate everything to this thread, please?
http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=50136&st=80

·
Registered
297 Posts

A 4x4 system will send 25% of the engines power to each wheel all the time...

[/b]
Nope, it depends on each tire's grip. If you have 3 wheels on pure ice, and one wheel on pavement, that wheel gets 100% of the torque if the axle has a locking differential

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
Wiggum
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing