Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only my 2nd time running this car at the track before. It was practically 90*F out and everyone there I talked to said they were running at least 4 tenths slower than usual. The first time I went it was much cooler out (about 51*F) and I hit 14.4-5 with a 2.0 60' (first time ever launching AWD).

I was able to get my 60's down closer to where I need them, but the hot weather just wasn't helping. Managed a 14.4 with a 1.89 60' and 14.3 with a 1.93 60'. I'm determined to hit 13's stock. I plan to go again in January, but only if it's colder. Heat like that really kills the power.

Here's the video of the 14.3 run against a modded Ion Redline. I beat him by .19 but he was catching up.

Right click, save as.

60' -- 1.934
1/4 -- 14.38
MPH -- 96.26

·
Registered
507 Posts
What were your shift points? I'm surprised the Ion was able to make up so much ground. Escpecially since you get more boost out of later gears.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I'm not surprised. The big advantage of cars like the Speed6 and WRX is the awd launch. When I drove the Speed6 it was amazing how fast it was from a dead stop, but I was less impressed with it once it was up to speed. Those Ion's are no joke. I believe as of now they have a stage 2 upgrade (possible stage 3) that's available from the dealership. Also stock redlines normally dyno around 210 to the wheels. They are underrated but are hard to launch. Guess that can be said for the majority of fwd cars. I remember seeing races between the WRX and SRT4 and it was similiar, the WRX would shoot out of the hole very fast but towards the end the SRT4 was right beside it.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I'm not surprised. The big advantage of cars like the Speed6 and WRX is the awd launch. When I drove the Speed6 it was amazing how fast it was from a dead stop, but I was less impressed with it once it was up to speed. Those Ion's are no joke. I believe as of now they have a stage 2 upgrade (possible stage 3) that's available from the dealership. Also stock redlines normally dyno around 210 to the wheels. They are underrated but are hard to launch. Guess that can be said for the majority of fwd cars. I remember seeing races between the WRX and SRT4 and it was similiar, the WRX would shoot out of the hole very fast but towards the end the SRT4 was right beside it.
[/b]

redline ion's and cobalt ss/sc pick up SERIOUS power from little mods. it is very easy to spend $700 on the car and dyno 275 +. they make kits for them that will dyno 350+. the ecotec engine is very strong, tranny is the weak point. they deserve their respect. i have seen a few take down some serious v8 muscle cars.

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
Looks like you had a slight delay going to 2th gear. Good run!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I forget all what he had done to his car, but I know he at least had a pulley which brought up his boost from I think 12psi to 17 or 18psi. He had a couple other things done too, intake and possibly exhaust. He told me but I just can't remember. He said he ran 14.2 before when it wasn't so hot out. He trapped almost 100 on that run. What's really odd is I've beaten one of those before in my old 97 Probe GT which was a low 15 sec car, with me driving. I guess that guy just couldn't drive though.

I can see the delay of me going into 2nd as well in the video. Though I've never missed or grinded a gear in this car, 2nd is sometimes a little rough going in. I don't really notice it at the track, but it could be part of the reason I'm reluctant to power it into 2nd gear really fast. The other reason could be still being overwhelmed by the acceleration out of first gear off a 5k launch. I'm still getting used to that haha.

It seems to me there is always a bit of a pause during shifts where the car takes a second to actually go. Not sure if it's turbo lag or the fact the car runs so rich at WOT that it's making the car bog for a second because it's choking on fuel? I'm sure a CAI and BOV would at least start to help those little issues out, but I'd like to get at least one 13 sec timeslip before doing any modding.

·
Registered
402 Posts
nice run bro. Those lil SC cars are no joke I ran a Cobalt SS with CAI from a roll and they are crazy top end. Was that at speedworld in orlando? Ive ran at moroso a couple of time not the best track though. Also your completely stock right?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, that was at Speedworld. It's kinda ghetto there, and tech inspection is like non-existant (which can be good and bad). I've run at Moroso before too back in '04 I think. I wasn't impressed with that track either. And yes, I'm 100% stock.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Yeah, that was at Speedworld. It's kinda ghetto there, and tech inspection is like non-existant (which can be good and bad). I've run at Moroso before too back in '04 I think. I wasn't impressed with that track either. And yes, I'm 100% stock.
[/b]

moroso motorsports shouldnt allow the track to put its name on it. its a pathetic track, no staff there knows anything about prepping a track correctly. bmp is alot better

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What were your shift points? I'm surprised the Ion was able to make up so much ground. Escpecially since you get more boost out of later gears.
[/b]
I shift at about 6,000 and I hold 4th thru the end of the race. I tried shifting into 5th once with undesirable results. I would imagine being able to hold full stock boost until redline would make a good bit of difference in the top end.

moroso motorsports shouldnt allow the track to put its name on it. its a pathetic track, no staff there knows anything about prepping a track correctly. bmp is alot better
[/b]
I went to bmp once, but it was rained out that day. I have heard good things about that track.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
561 Posts
looks like this has turned into a potential FL speed6 meetup?? i live in jax right now but am from south fla and ive been to moroso and speedworld which i can tell you are both heaven compared to the shitty little 1/8th mile they used to have here. at least at orlando and moroso they dont let lifted trucks with super swamper tires run and you also had to drive thru the dirt (or mud) before you got to the staging area. im glad they shut that place down. i want to go to gainesville (never been) in the coming weeks while its still cool out. if you guys want to set up a meet either there or orlando i'm down.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts