Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that is thread is covered in the pinned "How to Install" for the Short Shifter.

However, I wanted to post this in the general section to get more feedback from the members. Being in the pinned section, members only read it to get the "how to" part down.

Sooo...

The problem that I'm facing now is that the middle cable keeps popping up when shifting to 2nd, 4th or Rev. Some say this is due to the new bushings that set the base lower then stock causing the cable to bend.

Somebody have mentioned that the shifter cable pops out of the shifter mechanism, it's because the new bushing that comes with the MS short shifter kit makes the shifter mechanism sit a little too low, thus causing a bend in the shifter cable. The cable pops out because it wants to straighten itself. The ideal height would be archieved using the original bushings. But if you want to keep the direct feel of the new bushings, that just use the new bushings plus metal washers underneath to adjust the height. If you think the shifter is too noisy, then use the OEM bushing plus rubber washer instead.[/b]
I changed back to the stock bushings and it feels allot better, but the cable popping up problem still exists.

I am going to try to raise the back end of the base by using washers as newumbrella suggested. By raising the base from the back, I hope that will give it a more straight motion for the cable, thus making it not to bend.

I'll post once I try this and keep everyone updated but if anyone has done this already, please post how you did it.

Like I stated, the "how to" can be found here and other members start having this problem starting on page 2. - http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?show...46601&st=15

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any had this problem.. and what were your solutions for the fix?

If it was fixed..?

:headscrat:

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Any had this problem.. and what were your solutions for the fix?

If it was fixed..?

:headscrat:[/b]
to be honest I think I stuck a pencap in there haha. I was driving around with it open for a while and noticed it, and thats all I had with me at the time. It was almost a year ago I may have switched it to a bolt or something.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
to be honest I think I stuck a pencap in there haha. I was driving around with it open for a while and noticed it, and thats all I had with me at the time. It was almost a year ago I may have switched it to a bolt or something.[/b]
A pencap... :rofl:

Yeah i'm waiting for this weekend when I really have some time to stick some washers at the rear of the base? Not sure if i'm gonna use rubber washers or not..?

I hope lifting the rear of the base will align it more evenly so the cable has a better in - out motion. :headscrat:

I know there are other members that had this problem... I would like to know what they did and if it worked so I wont be wasting my time????

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I know that with one of the SS people were using a bolt. and ghetto as it may be, my pen cap worked haha.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know that with one of the SS people were using a bolt. and ghetto as it may be, my pen cap worked haha.[/b]
Went to Lowes this weekend and bought some rubber washers..

I raised the back up a bit and it helped out alot! The cable still pops up but not as much and the noise is somewhat tolorable now.

I think if I squeeze in a few more washers, that will do the trick.

We'll keep you posted...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
2 Participants
Frantic3
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing