Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered the Hatch springs for my '04 V6 Sedan.

My friend and I started working on the rears first, and we realized that the Hatch rear spring didn't seat properly in both the top and bottom spots like the stock spring did. Meaning that the end of the spring lined up in one end, but not the other. Has anyone else run into this? If you look at a stock spring from the top, and look straight down, the 2 ends of the springs are on opposite sides from each other. The Mazdaspeed springs are on the same side?

SO I guess my questions are: what did you guys do? Do I have the wrong springs? Is it not supposed to line up? Did you cut the last 2 inches off the bottom/top of the spring?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I ordered the Hatch springs for my '04 V6 Sedan.

My friend and I started working on the rears first, and we realized that the Hatch rear spring didn't seat properly in both the top and bottom spots like the stock spring did. Meaning that the end of the spring lined up in one end, but not the other. Has anyone else run into this? If you look at a stock spring from the top, and look straight down, the 2 ends of the springs are on opposite sides from each other. The Mazdaspeed springs are on the same side?

SO I guess my questions are: what did you guys do? Do I have the wrong springs? Is it not supposed to line up? Did you cut the last 2 inches off the bottom/top of the spring?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
[/b]
The rubber mount for the top of the rear springs is not attached to the car. Stick a screw driver under it and pop it off. That should do it.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahh really, I tried to pull that off too, but it wouldn't come off, it seemed solid. I've done my homework with this install, and I've never heard anyone mention that, I have 2 sets of directions printed out too, and still I've never seen anything about that.

Thanks man, guess I'll have to try again tomorrow.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I will be doing mine as soon as I recieve them MAZDASPEED too like yours ....

Can you put pics of these instructions or copy them here so we can benefit as well from these , never can have enough info on How-To's ?
[/b]
they come with the instuctions.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Success! My springs are on.

I should have started with the other side on the rear, everything about it was easier, and the top rubber mount fell right off. So I did have to pry the other side off, it wasn't even easy to get off with a screwdriver. Thanks again for your help Slv6sPitt.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yeah, i suppose I do huh. :) I've got some things I'm gonna do this weekend, but after that, I'll post them up.
[/b]
Just installed my Mazdaspeed springs/ Tokico struts yesterday; looks great, gives a nice drop but not slammed. Definately worth the $$ and effort (first time I've done suspension so it took a while).

·
Registered
380 Posts
So, if understand this correctly there is no rubber between the top of the spring and the mount?

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
So, if understand this correctly there is no rubber between the top of the spring and the mount?
[/b]
No there definately is.... there is a piece of rubber that goes onto the top of the spring... it almost "snaps" into place...

If you decide to do springs Oveido, let me know, I'm in Maitland and could do it in my sleep...

·
Registered
380 Posts
No there definately is.... there is a piece of rubber that goes onto the top of the spring... it almost "snaps" into place...

If you decide to do springs Oveido, let me know, I'm in Maitland and could do it in my sleep...
[/b]
Wiggum, thanks. Any help would be greatly appreciated. According to UPS my springs should be here Thursday. I'm comfortable with taking out the rears. It's the fronts that have me concerned. I assume that I'll need to get a spring compressor for the fronts?

·
Registered
799 Posts
Wiggum, thanks. Any help would be greatly appreciated. According to UPS my springs should be here Thursday. I'm comfortable with taking out the rears. It's the fronts that have me concerned. I assume that I'll need to get a spring compressor for the fronts? [/b]
for sure. it is the stock springs that you will need to compress, the MS springs you can pretty much throw on there with VERY little compression.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
for sure. it is the stock springs that you will need to compress, the MS springs you can pretty much throw on there with VERY little compression.
[/b]
True... and the rears are pop in pop off..

Oviedo... all I do when i do springs is call a local shop (Just Brakes, Pep Boys, ETC.) and tell them you are going to bring them a coilover assembly and need the springs swapped out, as you have no compressor...

Make sure you let them know they aren't doing any of the car work, and that it will take them 5 minutes...

Let me know if you want help doing them, you can reach my by PM...

·
Registered
380 Posts
True... and the rears are pop in pop off..

Oviedo... all I do when i do springs is call a local shop (Just Brakes, Pep Boys, ETC.) and tell them you are going to bring them a coilover assembly and need the springs swapped out, as you have no compressor...

Make sure you let them know they aren't doing any of the car work, and that it will take them 5 minutes...

Let me know if you want help doing them, you can reach my by PM...
[/b]
PM sent

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Wiggum , I had a funny question that might not have been asked before , for you or anyone .
Would you think if I used my freind's air spring-compressor to compress the MS springs (although not needed) ; that it would help them settle quicker .... and who knows ; lower them a bit more than spec ? :)

UPS was suppose to deliver 'em today ... waited till 7pm and didn't show up .... I guess tomorrow then .... will be doing them this w-end .

·
Registered
799 Posts
Wiggum , I had a funny question that might not have been asked before , for you or anyone .
Would you think if I used my freind's air spring-compressor to compress the MS springs (although not needed) ; that it would help them settle quicker .... and who knows ; lower them a bit more than spec ? :)
[/b]
nope and nope.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Finally got the springs on today and all I can say is wow. The car rides smoother, tracks straighter and seems to absorb bumps better. Haven't had the chance to really throw it around yet but I plan to this weekend. Probably my favorite mod to date.

Also, I want to give a big thanks to Wiggum. Not only was he helpful here, but he was kind enough to come over taking time out of his day to help me turn wrenches and get his hands dirty. I truly do appreciate your help. I owe you some cold beers!!!!

This mod is fairly easy to do, especially now that I've done it. Once apart, everything went back in easily with no problems. Anyone considering doing this should go for it. Even if you're not mechanically inclined it's a good way to bond to your 6.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Finally have some pics of the car lowered. Sorry no before pics but we all know what stock 6 looks like.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts