Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I put the mazdaspeed lowering springs on my 06 6i mtx in the front. It took 3 hours, because all I had were manual spring compressors and an air gun. Next week I will put them on in the back. It definitely is lower, you can tell if you looked at the car from the side. I went on the highway briefly, but I didn't notice too much of a change yet, but that was probably because I was so tired.

This is what I did.

jack up front of car, remove wheels
removed the lower 15mm nut and bolt
removed the 12mm brake line nut
removed the 14mm sway bar nut
removed the horseshoe looking thing via 14mm bolt from the shock
loosened the strut from the engine bay (three 14mm nuts)
compressed the spring
disassembled spring/shock/strut assembly (3 major pieces: spring, shock body, top of shock with rubber)
(this last step needs a deep 14mm socket and an airgun to remove the nut)
uncompressed stock spring and removed it from assembly
compressed mazdaspeed spring and put grey inserts from stock springs onto new spring
assembled assembly
tightened all nuts in reverse
hand tightened wheel lugnuts
watch in nervous anticipation as car is lowered back to floor

Probably something you can glean from the coilover instructions, but the spring part is slightly different. Note that you'll want to put the spring in the correct grooves for the top and bottom as you recompress it.

If you have any questions... ask! By the way, yes, I am using stock shocks. Yes, I know its better to replace the shocks too. But I am going to run this until I actually need shocks, and then... Bilsteins!

Reactions: kayess

·
Registered
488 Posts
i like to see the results, have any pics??

im also thinking about getting the bilstein shocks, after stocks go out

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll try to get some pics soon. You know, I'm not sure I took any before pics!

·
Registered
2017 MZ6 GT Jet Black Mica
3,575 Posts
Do the RB rear bar at the same time as the rear springs if you can. I did them both on my car at the same time. The rears are also alot easier than the fronts because they're separate springs not wrapped around a strut.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
pics soon, my buddies are getting me an RB rear in a few months, so I'll have to do that later.

I've heard that the rears are actually more difficult, but I guess that would only be for coilovers and the cutting of the bumpstops? If it's that easy, maybe I'll compress the springs with my butt and a pillow instead of renting another air compressor.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
before
[attachment=20427:p1060563.JPG]

after
[attachment=20428:p1060574.JPG]
[attachment=20429:p1060576.JPG]
[attachment=20431:p1060578.JPG]
[attachment=20430:p1060579.JPG]

I don't have many "during" pictures. only if you want. remember this is only the front.
used to be able to fit four fingers in the space, now its just two. and its still gonna keep settling.
by the way, anyone wanna buy the stock springs?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Props for doing it yourself. Definitely beyond my realm of confidence! Looks good. Now time to go shopping for rims :)

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
I don't have many "during" pictures. only if you want. remember this is only the front.
used to be able to fit four fingers in the space, now its just two. and its still gonna keep settling.
by the way, anyone wanna buy the stock springs?[/b]
Mine took about 2 weeks to settle. I don't have any right-now pics of my car since it's filthy from the salt and snow, but you can tell it's lowered even on my 16" wheels with snow tires. I can't wait to get my MazdaSpeed wheels back on this summer.... :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wish I had money for rims! Although... I think I'd stick with alloy 16"s just so I don't have to mess with the speedo/odo or worry about rubbing. Also, handling is better with the 16s right?

By the way... I hear some slight creaking from the front left... is that rubbing? or did I not tighten enough?

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Also, handling is better with the 16s right?

By the way... I hear some slight creaking from the front left... is that rubbing? or did I not tighten enough?[/b]
Handling is not better with the 16s. If you put more rubber down to the pavement, you have better handling. 16s weigh less though. Someone in the Buy/Sell section here on the forum is selling a set of 16s that look nice. Check them out if you're interested.

Creaking I didn't have, but it does pop a little when you hit bumps at first because it's settling. Like I said, it took almost 2 weeks for mine to settle. Of course, my car sat for almost a week in the body shop to have the front bumper repainted right after I had the suspension put on, so it wasn't driving. It took about 1000 miles for the suspension to fully seat.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I put the back springs on yesterday... very easy! No compressor needed. I should have done this myself last week!

And before where I could fit three fingers in the wheel well, I can barely fit one now. The front hasn't changed much... still just over two fingers.

Pics if anyone is interested. otherwise, I'll save you the bandwidth.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Good work Mr. Cheung.

Question. When you performed the following step:

compressed mazdaspeed spring and put grey inserts from stock springs onto new spring[/b]
did you do anything to the bumpstop? I.e. did you cut it, throw it away, or leave untouched?

Just wondering, since your front gap seems lot less than mine and I have the same springs as you do.

EDIT: Actually, you say you can fit two fingers in the gap? That's about how much I can fit too. I guess the pics are taken at an angle.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No change to the bumpstop. How long ago did you do yours? I was hoping for more drop... but I guess this is it?

I measured it roughly with a ruler, looks like 1" gap in the front and virtually no gap in the back. Seriously I have to put a finger in at an angle to find space. (Insert dirty joke here).

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
MS 6i sedan springs ... progressive or linear?

I think all MS sedan rears are the same progressive springs, for same rear axle weight. This box has MS 6S sedan springs. Two springs in center with closer coils at one end are for the 6S (and 6i ?) rear.

MS 6S sedan springs, progressive rears

Can you look at yours and see if rears and/or fronts are progressive?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not sure what your question is exactly, but all four of my springs were, I would guess, progressive. If progressive means that the spring coils were closer in one section than another, that is. I'd take a picture, but they're already installed!

[attachment=20692:p1060585_copy.JPG]

Attachments

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
No change to the bumpstop. How long ago did you do yours? I was hoping for more drop... but I guess this is it?

I measured it roughly with a ruler, looks like 1" gap in the front and virtually no gap in the back. Seriously I have to put a finger in at an angle to find space. (Insert dirty joke here).[/b]
:laugh:

I did mine last Sunday, so about 8 days ago. My front gap's abit shy of 1.5" using a tape measure. The rears are as you describe... have to put finger in sideways.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
:laugh:

I did mine last Sunday, so about 8 days ago. My front gap's abit shy of 1.5" using a tape measure. The rears are as you describe... have to put finger in sideways.[/b]
You have a hatch though right? which spring set did you get?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes, 6i hatch. I have the same springs as you... 6i sedan springs.[/b]
I never understood that. Hatch guys get sedan springs. Does this mean sedan guys should get hatch springs??

Nvm, gonna study now. :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.