Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at either the 6 or the Mazdaspeed Protege. Does anyone know anything about the Protege? They seem to be really good cars. I've heard that their handling is second to none (according to Sport Compact Car) and that they were decently quick. Anyone know anything else?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Reading Topic: Mazdaspeed Protege?

Well you shouldn't double post things, but since im not a mod, i dont really care :) here is my responce from the other post in case you stop here first.

Not very upgradeable. For 2 reasons. 1) a lot has been done for you allready suspension wise. 2) the internals on the motor suck. they are stock protege internals and can't handle much more boost. guys with manual boost controllers dont go above 9.5 lbs. the motor simply cant take it. you can probably see improvements with a better exhaust and a real intercooler. since this was a parts bin car, some things like the intercooler were taken off other cars, in this case a diesel mazda. so its quite small and poorly placed. you can fix that. basically though it's a solid car, go for the 2003.5 as they are a little less "boy racer" inside. for me its still between that and the SVT Focus. So basically its a great track car, but its no 98 eclipse GSX in that your not going to be able to get 500hp out of it simply by buying a boost controller.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

TbirdJayC is pretty much correct. I certainly wouldn't say the internals suck, but they were definitely not designed for forced induction and they were not reinforced in any way. It's a low boost application, and meant to stay that way. However the handling has received raves from everyone (pretty harsh for a daily driver though). If you're interested in a great handling car (think Autocross); the MS Protege is a great candidate. If you're thinking street racing or drags, there are better choices.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts

I looked at the 2 also and the protegespeed is supposed to be the best handling stock car. Sport Compact car called it best usuable speed ever. It runs the same 1/4 as the 6 and i believe the handling can be made better in the 6. The 6 just has more luxury while the protege is a racer setup. I didn't look at the protege too much because I live in Nh and my friends have had nothing but problems with limited slips in the winter plus adding that I would need to buy "16 winter rims to fit the brakes.

·
Registered
793 Posts

In a recent test by Road and Track or some magizine something like that the MS Protege overall was better then the new Svt Focus, But the new Dodge Srt4 beat the protege because of the more useful power.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

I'm pretty sure that Mazda did minimal work on the MazdaSpeed Protege in reaction to the feedback on the MP3, which in a nutshell was: "great handling car, but it's underpowered".
By the time a MazdaSpeed 3 comes to market, it will be a much more thought out package of power and suspension mods. Whether FWD or AWD, it should be fully competitive in the hot compact market.

·
Registered
39 Posts

I have test driven the Mazdaspeed Protege(Once); the Mazda 6s Manual (5 times) and I own a 2002 PR5. I was originally looking at the 6s which looks and feels great but is hard to get and not quite as fun as I once considered it. The MSP is much better in ways than my PR5 and can be had cheap if you know where to go and how to negotiate. I think Proteges are terrible on harsh roads with lots of potholes. My PR5 is the worst car for bumps than any I have ever been in. I still like the PR5 for it is a great handling wagon that allows me to haul things a little better than a sedan. The Mazdaspeed felt more substantial than the PR5 when I first pulled it onto the street. The suspension is very stiff but it "hits" bumps much better than the PR5. The PR5 feels like I ran over a tree stump on the smallest holes. The Mazdaspeed is not a 6s but it feels sporty going over bumps if you know what I mean. There is a difference in feedback when good suspension hits a bump versus so so suspension that is just firm as hell. There have been problems with the Mazdaspeed as can be seen on msprotege.com. There is a delay feeling with the engine that has to do with the intake. The solution is a 200 dollar CAI from Injen which not only makes the MSP run better but a decent bit faster as well. Altogether it's a must have if you get the MSP. Another MSP plus is the stereo which is pretty damned good. Everyone will tell you that it isn't great. Sure it doesn't compare to many aftermarket replacement designs but it's great compared to any other factory system. The Bose system in the 6 is decent but it's very factory and requires an extra 250 bucks for MP3. I would take the MSP over a plain jane Mazda6 simply because you get more for your money in the MSP. The MSP can be had easily for 19K right now especially with the 2003.5's coming out. If you want more luxury and instant v6 power then the Mazda6s Manual is what you want. Though if you want pure perfromance with the benfits of AWD now, then head out to find the last of the 2003 WRX's which can be had for 21K or so.

·
Registered
81 Posts

Aside from lowering the compression on the Mazda Speed Protege', did they do anything to the internals of the engine over the standard Protege' power plant; like beefier rods, etc?

Regards, Eightball

·
Registered
244 Posts

My friend has a MPS and a few mods... full exhaust, manual boost controller, intake, intercooler sprayers, gauges, etc. I totally kick his ass on the street, walking like 3 cars on him. Those cars definitely do not take to mods as well as our 6's. They handle fairly well but if you commute a lot you will get tired of the rough ride. Just my .02

~Kyle

·
Registered
6,083 Posts

Tru Dat.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts

labster,

Have you driven one yet? I drove the MPS Protege at Rev-It-Up and I didn't like it at all. Granted you couldn't get on the thing too much. But what I hated about was the clutch (felt like it was too high under the dashboard, that I could only get at it with the tip of my toe, and even then, my knee was hitting the dash, and I'm only 5'6"!) and the shifter (rubbery, knob was too small) and the seats (not comfortable at all)

I say if your looking for a track racer that you can sink a little extra cash into, then fine. But if you want refined, go with the 6.

·
Registered
592 Posts

It really depends on what you are looking for. The MS Protege is not set up to be a commuter's car and it was definitely not designed to be luxurious. It is a quick corner-carver that requires a driver that is willing to push it to its limits and then some. In stock forms, it will nearly keep up with a 6s and easily out-handle the 6. Its turbo set-up was deliberately tuned for linear power and to feel like a small V6 rather than a high-strung 4 so that cornering would not be upset by a sudden rush of power. Also, the limited-slip in the MS Protege allows you to power out of corners rather than going through the wheel-hop that is inherent of FWD in that situation. The MS Protege also gets better fuel mileage, a better sound system, and all of the boy-racer looks. Getting all of this in a warranty-backed package for this price is hard to beat.

That said, if you want a car that is smoother, quieter, and generally more refined, the 6 is your best choice. The 6s is slightly quicker in a straight line but will fall back in the twisties. Also, the 6 has cruise control and the availability of a moonroof, both of which a MSP Protege cannot have.

If this car will be an everyday driver and you spend a lot of time in it, the 6 is your best choice. If you want the looks, handling, and sound system without having to spend extra money with aftermarket mods that may or may not void your warranty, the MS Protege is the best choice.

Your best bet is to go on a long test drive in both cars. They are so different; you'll know which one you prefer.

·
Registered
352 Posts

Hey there labster....
my fathers friend owns a mazda dealership and in the past I was able to drive the mp3 the thing handled great but it was very slow.....
my freind just got the new mazdaspeed protege- it looks very nice and handles very nice and avtually has some pull....i have a 6 and like the car a little mre jsut becasue its a little faster at lower rpms and is very easy and predictabel to control when things get a little out of control

·
Registered
8,628 Posts

Wow, I can't believe no one has mentioned one thing yet:

The Protege is over and done with. It's being replaced by the 3 this year, so you're look at an end of the line car.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: Mazdaspeed Protege?

That's so good to hear that it's being discontinued. I was just thinking about it today, that if my 6 turns out to be a lemon, it's still in the shop, then I'm going to get the MS5. i'll just have to wait and see. I like the nice ride of the 6 though, very nice.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Mazdaspeed Protege?'

Originally posted by MZ6ZoomZoom

Wow, I can't believe no one has mentioned one thing yet:

The Protege is over and done with.  It's being replaced by the 3 this year, so you're look at an end of the line car.[/b]
There is one nice thing about an end of the line car... it has been pretty much perfected. I had a 99 Protege which I traded for the 6. I also have an 03 Protege5. There is a huge difference in the build quality, refinement, and reliability between the 99 and 03. It is quite amazing what 5 years of production experience can do to a car. With my 6, they had a whole 2 months of production experience... and it shows!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts