Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove an MSP this weekend at MazdaRevItUp through the slalom...

The turbo setup on that car is really just for show... Mazda should have gone with lower compression and higher boost but that I guess would have required a new engine assy and therefore would have cost more. There is a decent midrange torque, but after around 4500 RPM, the engine just seems to be anemic. Feels like Mazda could have either chosen a better turbo, or could have reduce the compression ratio to 8.5 and raised the boost to 12 psi. Sure the power curve would have been a little less streetable but no less than the average turbo car... probably would have been good for up to 250 HP too... and before you all go squealing about torque steer, remember than the powerband would have been top-heavy, where torque steer is less prevalent anyway. The handling is exceptional, though... I was very impressed by that... but I would not by that car.

OTOH, finally drove a Miata the way I wanted to- on a course. Holy crap I want one now. I can't remember when I had that much fun in my ZXtt.

-Alt

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Mazdaspeed Protege'

Originally posted by Altersys

OTOH, finally drove a Miata the way I wanted to- on a course.  Holy crap I want one now.  I can't remember when I had that much fun in my ZXtt.

-Alt[/b]
See, I toid you so. :D :D

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reading Topic: Mazdaspeed Protege

Hehe. Actually I'm seriously considering an RX-8, if it drives as youthfully as the Miata (or even close)... may end up getting that before the '6...

-Alt

1 - 3 of 3 Posts