Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
I read it in a news article. I can dig it up for you, but it may take me a while.

This platform is setup to support an AWD version of the 6. A turbo charged version of the 2.3L engine is a natural choice. Talk about direct competition with the Subaru WRX and Mitsubishi Lancer EVO-VII

Either, way, I have heard it from different sources, but at this point in time, the estimated date for release of such a version wouldnt be until later 2003 or early 2004......

Nikolas

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NICE

Thanks man. If you can find the article i would really appreciate the reading material. News like this just gets me all giddy and i find it hard to control myself.

:D

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Currency Conversion

Sampson,
Keep in mind those are Australian dollars. In US dollars that would be about $28,500. If it comes with AWD, LSD, and the 276hp, it would be a bargain.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Since i am from Ontario, Canada that is still a lot of $$. 28.5K is like........45K CND dollars. Still to much! But yes it would be great.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
But more than likely it would somehow turn out cheaper in Canada. In fact living so close to the Canadian border I might look in to buying there. I should check with Gujustud and see if he has a good line on a dealership. It's probably actually closer that way than to go to the nearest US dealership.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i hate waiting.
i think i will have to get the regular hatchback... hopefully early 2003. Maybe i can get the 4 cylinder and get a turbocharger installed later.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Well I'm sure Nikolas from Duratec Performance would love that sort of thinking! :hoho
Seriously, why not just get the V6? It's 219hp and will definitely have more torque down low for regular everyday driving. The Duratec V6 is actually a pretty nice engine. The two complaints people seem to have are with its smoothness and reliability. Mazda thinks it's addressed those issues with the changes they've made to the engine.
Anyway, it doesn't make much sense to me to turbo charge the I4 when the V6 is available. In a (god forbid) Civic or something it's somewhat understandable, because all the engines are anemic. But why would you get the less expensive version then spend money just to catch up to the more expensive version? If you're talking power potential, I'm sure Nikolas can tell you that either engine is capable of being blown. Given the V6's head start on power it probably has some head room to work with. Also remember that altering your engine to that extent will void your warranty.
In the end it's your money and I totally don't mean to lecture you. If you just prefer 4 cylinder engines, then you should go for what you love.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No you are right, you have a good point. My original intentions were to get the V6. I probably will go for the V6 .. just hope its not a lot more $$ then the I4.

I guess the reason i said that about a 4 cylinder is because the mazdaspeed 6 apparently will be using a 4 cylinder.... so i was thinking about in that sense. How do they get 276HP out of a 4 cylinder?? why dont they use the V6??

I still hate waiting.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I hate waiting too. It's not that I don't like my current car ('98 Subaru Forester). It's just that I miss having a more powerful car. I think my motorcycle has spoiled me. I think the V6 will probably not be more than $2000 more than the I4. Most likely not more than $1500. How do they get all that power out of the 4? It's called turbo. But it's not just a matter of slapping a turbo on the existing engine. They will have to strengthen some of the parts and probably lower the compression ratio. They probably don't use the V6 for a couple of reasons:
1. The MZR I4 is Mazda's brand new baby...they want to feature its performance potential, not parent Ford's.
2. Emissions. The I4 is ULEV to start, and might maintain LEV status even with the turbo. The V6, being only LEV already (I think) might have more problems.
3. Fuel economy. I know, not what you think about with a performance vehicle, but it's still a factor. The I4 is expected to come with about 26/32, and the V6 20/26. If you stuck a turbo on that V6 it might drop to SUV territory: 14/20. You could practically watch your fuel gauge drop!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I know which dealer I'm going to be dealing with here in Canada. The only reason is the aftermarket service and support they offer. But for you guys from the states, it would be pointless, as you aren't going to drive all the way up here just to get better service. Maybe we should do a group buy :p

Sasy we buy 5 and tell them to discount it... :D

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I'm about 10 minutes from the border to BC. I go to Vancouver more often than I go to Seattle. Not lately because the lines have been brutal. They're calming down though and supposedly getting more people up there. I'd go more often but they harrass me too often. Depending on where "up here" is, I'd be happy to drive there for better service! I hate most dealerships.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I don't think you want to drive "up here" to the dealer I deal with. It is in Ontario, a little too far to get service done. I can picture it now...I'm about due for my 24K service...better leave now, I'll be at 24K when I arrive in Ontario...lol

:hoho

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Kranberry

Where in Ontario do you live? And which dealer do u go to? I live in Kitchener. Maybe we can get some deals if we buy at the same time.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I live in Toronto. The dealer is up in Richmond Hill, about 45 minutes north of central toronto. It's not really that far, it's just city traffic that kills you.

Like I said, not sure about price, but service is next to none. I'd rather have aftersales service and support for the measley $500-$1000 that you'd save and get nothing.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I am pretty familiar with the Duratec V6 and I can say that the 219HP numbers they have given are pretty low compared to what can be wrung out of the engine. Those of us with the 2.5L Duratec or the 3.0L Duratec in the Taurus have received VERY good gains on our engines with just intake, higher flowing MAF, Headers, and exhaust......

Vortech makes a supercharger kit for the 2.5L Cougar/Contour and would just need to adapt the kit to work with the 3.0L engine and its mounting points as well as the returnless fuel system the 6 is going to come with.

I really want to get my hands on both versions of engines offered in the 6 so we can see how much power we can get out of them. As more and more models of vehicles come equipped with the 2.3L engine (or variants of it like the 2.0L); you will see more parts offered by us. Things will be good for the 6.

Nikolas

1 - 20 of 20 Posts