Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK i got the cp-e exhaust installed over the weekend.
Been driving it around and here are my reaction.
(i don;t have a dyno yet, i'm going to get it as soon as i get some time)

When i first saw the design of the exhaust system, i already knew i would gain some power out of it.
Going from a single pipe into a Y- split into dual mufflers i knew the exhaust system was restricting a lot of power and potential out of the car. The cp-e exhaust is a 3in pip all the way down. Minimal bends with a SINGLE outlet. I'm sure most of you will agree in that unless you have a v6 motor with a true dual pipe exhaust system, a y-split with dual mufflers is just a big don't do. Even the piping of the exhaust system starts with a 2.5in pip and ends with 1.5in tips. All the bends and the changes in pipe size create restrictions.
So i got the exhaust put on, SIMPLE install. From the high quality hangers to the high quality exhaust bands ues, it couldn;t have been easier. The exhaust matchs up perfect with the stock tips. The system looks factory from the outside (those who live in states where exhaust laws are extremely strict this is a dream come true).

Anyway enough about the install heres the good stuff.

I turn on the ign and the system ROARS. I mean this system sounds BEAUTIFUL. Its got a very low rumble and it stays smooth throughout accelration. (this is not a bumble bee in a can sound like hondas). The sound is very aggressive.
At Idle i can;t even hear the exhaust from the inside. Very quiet until you decide to unleash it.

As far as power goes i can;t back this up until i get some dynos, but I can truely feel a difference.
accleration is much smoother and i know i've gained a large sum of horse power and tq.
My car feels like a completely different car. Coming out of a corner i can feel the accelration much faster then normal. ( i drive on average 150 miles a day so i can feel any difference with the car. If you don;t believe me i bought my car little less then 3 months ago and i'm already at 9000 miles)
when i floor the car i am pushed back into my seat a lot more then I used to be.
I will get my car dynoed for those who need acutal numbers to prove the gains. Currently i have the cai, cat back exhaust, and the hks bov installed. I will post numbers as soon as i get them. I kno there is a gain because for anyone who drives their car, you can feel more power when u actually gain more power.

Because the exhaust system got rid of one of the mufflers, there is a lot of weight saved to. I picked up the stock exhaust and the after market. There is a HUGE weight difference. I wouldn;t be suprised if the weight of the cpe exhaust was half the weight of the stock. As you will see in the pictures the stock mufflers are HUGE and weigh a ton. The cp-e muffler is small and is integrated into the piping of the exhaust. Light weight.... all ms6 owners know we need this.

Now on to the pictures (i will have a video up soon as well)

Exhaust hanger (notice the mushroom tips)

View of the entire Cp-e exhaust system

view of the cp-e exhaust system before install. (that little piece that looks like a cat on the left pipe is the actual muffler)

picture of the stock exhaust system. Look at the mufflers and how bit they are. Also you can see the CP-e exhaust system in the background. Notice the difference in size, and the bends in the pipe.
The stock exhaust has a lot of bends not to mention that Y-pipe spliter in the middle.

Picture during install

the MUFFLER (yes that is the muffler)

the money shot.

This is a full 304 stainless steel exhaust system. I'm loving it. I can;t wait to get the dynos up cause my butt says WOAH ~!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
very nice.

Glad that a member can back up CPE's claims
[/b]
I acutally have no idea what CP-e claimed with this exhaust.
I just knew the car needed it and i know i can feel a HUGe jump in power.
I'm drooling to see what kinda numbers i pull on a dyno.
Hopefully i can head up to MD this weekend to get my car pulled.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
He can't back it up totally yet...

Exhaust looks good... can't believe the price tag but its nice...

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He can't back it up totally yet...

Exhaust looks good... can't believe the price tag but its nice...
[/b]
Thanks for the props on the exhaust.
haha yewp i can;t back up anything ive said yet cause everything is just based on how i feel the car and how i feel the car respond. I'll get somethign for you guys real soon though cause i know some people just need to have the numbers =D

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WOW looks great! Can you post video clip of startup driveby with intake, exhaust, and bov?

-Kyran
[/b]
Yeah no prob. U want a vid that shows the startup and a drive by right?
i'll try to get out friday night to make the vid. so i should have one posted by sat afternoon

·
Registered
200 Posts
would really love to hear a sound clip. The one CPE has is horrible

·
Registered
243 Posts
Yeah no prob. U want a vid that shows the startup and a drive by right?
i'll try to get out friday night to make the vid. so i should have one posted by sat afternoon
[/b]
Yah! A clip of a driveby, a clip of starting the engine and idling then driving off, and a clip of inside would be awesome!

·
Registered
815 Posts
Looks good. I think you will have good numbers when you dyno. I can't wait to get mine. Did they mention anything re: the downpipe and an eta?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks good. I think you will have good numbers when you dyno. I can't wait to get mine. Did they mention anything re: the downpipe and an eta?
[/b]
The down pipe is almost done. I'd say maybe a couple more weeks. I saw the test pipe and i saw the cat. They told me it should be finished very soon. I'll try to get a more detailed eta on the down pipe

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did you ask about the DP install??? If you wanna hear some crazy news call CP-E and ask :(
[/b]
ah hahah yea i heard about the DP install. Its just one of those things u gotta scarafice for performance. That install is really really going to be a pain in the ass. Its just kharma. The cat back was east as shit to install (literly like 15-30 min) so naturally the DP gonna have to be hard as hell.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
ah hahah yea i heard about the DP install. Its just one of those things u gotta scarafice for performance. That install is really really going to be a pain in the ass. Its just kharma. The cat back was east as shit to install (literly like 15-30 min) so naturally the DP gonna have to be hard as hell.
[/b]
Ok, now I'm hellacurious....what's deal?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Can we not get any details here?
[/b]
well basically it will involve taking out the the drive shaft and pushing the motor foward or something of that nature

·
Registered
477 Posts
The down pipe is almost done. I'd say maybe a couple more weeks. I saw the test pipe and i saw the cat. They told me it should be finished very soon. I'll try to get a more detailed eta on the down pipe
[/b]
Is there going to be any additional muffling in the down pipe? If not, its going to be hella loud with 3" pipe all the way back and just one tiny resonator. If you've ever hear an EVO or STI with TBE and no cat, they are very loud.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Is there going to be any additional muffling in the down pipe? If not, its going to be hella loud with 3" pipe all the way back and just one tiny resonator. If you've ever hear an EVO or STI with TBE and no cat, they are very loud.
[/b]
Well the down pipe will have the cat built into it. The turbo itself will also act as a muffler. I do believe it will get louder as it does with all cars. Only thing i can say is we will have to see.
As of now the exhaust system is not too loud. The sound is clean and deep, and it idles very quiet.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
This is a noob question, but what are some potential warranty issues associated with the downpipe? My dealer has no problems with an after market cat back exhaust.

1 - 20 of 166 Posts
About this Discussion
165 Replies
54 Participants
digger10t
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing