Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so my MazdaSpeed CAI has arrived.. This will be the first CAI I have ever installed... After reading through the instructions I notice that I have to remove the front drivers tire for the install..

Is this really 100% necessary? Has anyone done the install without taking the tire off? I would really like to do my install this afternoon, but with the crappy weather in Texas right now I am not going to put the car on jack stands in below freezing weather to do my install. If I can get away with not taking the tire off I can do it in my garage.

Any other hints, recommendations, gotchas?

Thanks in advance,

David

06 Black Cherry Mica MS6 GT

·
Registered
315 Posts
Ok, so my MazdaSpeed CAI has arrived.. This will be the first CAI I have ever installed... After reading through the instructions I notice that I have to remove the front drivers tire for the install..

Is this really 100% necessary? Has anyone done the install without taking the tire off? I would really like to do my install this afternoon, but with the crappy weather in Texas right now I am not going to put the car on jack stands in below freezing weather to do my install. If I can get away with not taking the tire off I can do it in my garage.

Any other hints, recommendations, gotchas?
Thanks in advance,

David

06 Black Cherry Mica MS6 GT[/b]

Alot of people didn't take the tire off to install the cai, just put your wheels all the way right. Take off the fender liner starting at the front under the bumper. Take all of the plastic screws off up to the staple. It must be a squeeze though with the fender liner and wheel in the way.

Personally I took off the wheel, the fender liner and the front fog light housing. It was much easier and I could see the "hidden" bolts on the resonator. But I also wanted room to be able to check clearances and fab up a splash guard. And make sure the filter was installed completely on the pipe.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I DID take my wheel off but after doing it I realised I did not HAVE too. As long as you get the slapsh guard off the front bumper to access the 2 screws from below you will be fine. But your gonna have to jack the car up either way, so taking off the tire is not THAT much more if your having issues along the way....

·
Registered
220 Posts
I DID take my wheel off but after doing it I realised I did not HAVE too. As long as you get the slapsh guard off the front bumper to access the 2 screws from below you will be fine. But your gonna have to jack the car up either way, so taking off the tire is not THAT much more if your having issues along the way....[/b]
Yeah, do it...makes it easier.

Wayne

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
you don't need to remove the tire, jack the car or remove bumper. you will need to turn the wheel all the way one direction or the other though.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
you don't need to remove the tire, jack the car or remove bumper. you will need to turn the wheel all the way one direction or the other though.[/b]
Let me say that I am 6'2" and there is no way I could have gotten the 2 "hidden" screws without jacking the car up. My buddy is 5'6" on a good day and he had trouble too. While it may be possible, jacking the car up is not that time consuming and will make it easiER for most people.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the speedy replies..

As I am a total noob at this, assuming I remove the tire, how long am I looking to complete this job?

2 hours? 4 hours?? I can handle a wrench, its just deciphering the directions and making sure everything is buttoned back up..

I don't think I can screw it up that badly :drool:

·
Registered
288 Posts
I forgot to turn the wheel and it wasn't until I had everything tore apart that I remembered, so I couldn't start the car. Therefore I had to jack the car up slightly to get the resonator out.

The two front bolts were a PITA to get out of the resonator. I tried and tried but could not get the fog light assembly to pop out, which I think would have made it easier to get to the bolts.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
2-3 hours depending on comfort level, it can be done in 1 easily if you have done it before...

·
Registered
238 Posts
Thanks for the speedy replies..

As I am a total noob at this, assuming I remove the tire, how long am I looking to complete this job?

2 hours? 4 hours?? I can handle a wrench, its just deciphering the directions and making sure everything is buttoned back up..

I don't think I can screw it up that badly :drool:[/b]
1.5 hrs if you have background around tools/cars.

·
Registered
201 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
use the smallest ratchet you have to remove the 4 resonator screws underneath and it will make it alot easier. pretty sure i got all but back bottom one from the top of the car.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I left it on and i'm sure its fine just gotta jack the car kinda high to make it comfortable down there.
I was a total noob installing and took me about 2 hours, but I was double checking everything.
g'luck

·
Registered
684 Posts
sorry i don't have a Mazdaspeed CAI, but it should be the same thing,
i jacked up the car from the front @ the cross beam (chasis), no need to remove wheel,
wheel turn all the way to right, splash guard was not totally removed, but took out 4-5 clips/screws.
hardest part was to remove the resonator (inside of bumper) tight space, not much lighting, difficult bolt to remove...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:swearin: :swearin: :swearin:

Ok, need some help installing my CAI.. I am attempting to take off the resonator and have two of the three nuts off.. The third one is giving me fits and I am worried that I am on the verge of rounding it off.

The nut in question is the top nut (closest to the hood of the car) I have tried a box wrench, as well as a deep drive 14mm socket.

The only thing that I can even get on the nut is the deep drive socket, but only at an angle so it keeps slipping when I try and put torque on it...

How did everyone else get that pesky thing off? Please help as I really need to get this done ;)

·
Registered
315 Posts
:swearin: :swearin: :swearin:

Ok, need some help installing my CAI.. I am attempting to take off the resonator and have two of the three nuts off.. The third one is giving me fits and I am worried that I am on the verge of rounding it off.

The nut in question is the top nut (closest to the hood of the car) I have tried a box wrench, as well as a deep drive 14mm socket.

The only thing that I can even get on the nut is the deep drive socket, but only at an angle so it keeps slipping when I try and put torque on it...

How did everyone else get that pesky thing off? Please help as I really need to get this done ;)[/b]
I used a 1/4" craftsman ratchet with a 6" extension or whatever long extension is most common in their mechanics tool sets. Also used a 6 sided, NOT a 12 sided socket, deep depth not shallow. I had the front fog light cover off, and the only benefit of having it off is that you can partially see up into the bumper, and see the hidden nut. I put the ratchet in the bumper fully, and looking at the left side of the car, I had enough room inside the bumper to turn the ratchet from about the 10 o'clock position to the 8 o'clock position. Holding the extension in place with my left hand and moving the ratchet with my right.

I remember thinking how the heck I was going to get that nut back on if I had to replace the stock intake.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I used a 1/4" craftsman ratchet with a 6" extension or whatever long extension is most common in their mechanics tool sets. Also used a 6 sided, NOT a 12 sided socket, deep depth not shallow. I had the front fog light cover off, and the only benefit of having it off is that you can partially see up into the bumper, and see the hidden nut. I put the ratchet in the bumper fully, and looking at the left side of the car, I had enough room inside the bumper to turn the ratchet from about the 10 o'clock position to the 8 o'clock position. Holding the extension in place with my left hand and moving the ratchet with my right.

I remember thinking how the heck I was going to get that nut back on if I had to replace the stock intake.[/b]
Couple of ironic things.. First is that I only have a 13MM deep 1/4" drive socket, not a 14MM (groan)

Second is the roads are so icy now that I cant even take the wifes car to go get one...

I am about to break out the dremel and trim off the plastic around the resonator bolt so I can get my larger socket wrench in there..

Unless someone else has a better idea?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
after some numb arms and bloody knuckels, the resonator is off!!!

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Not required, but I'd recommend it. Hell of a lot easier to get to the bolts that hold the lower intake to the frame. Since you've got jacks stands, I'd say do it, it will give you much more room to work. My 2 cents

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Finally got to take my baby on the road after installing the CAI and I can definitely hear the "sucking" noise as the turbo spools up.. Man its loud, even with the windows up and the radio on. Under light acceslleration or cruising its not noticeable, but put your foot down and sounds like a black hole...

I have read in others posts that after the battery has been disconnected (especially when a CAI has been installed) that the computer has to re-learn Fuel to Air ratios etc and that a power loss can be expected until this occurs...

First of all, is this true? It topped out at about 32F here today but the car felt about the same as usual, even during my first drive after hooking up the battery.. It didnt seem sluggish or anything.

I didn't get all up on it due to the potentially icy roads, but should I be expecting more as the computer works things out?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts