Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed the Mazdaspeed CAI and its been running great for a few days...

however now the first time driving in the rain and it throws a CEL... (it was not raining hard)
I pulled over and looked in the hood, everything looked fine, however the air filter was wet to the touch.. is that normal?

is it ok to drive hard in the rain? looks to me that water from the tires will get to the filter pretty easily through the holes in the inner tire wall...

I'll take it into the shop tomorrow and have the read the CEL code..

·
Registered
364 Posts
Filters get wet, thats what happens when it rains, and thankfully that is why they are oiled and such...you should be fine. I drove a car that had a CAI in the snow/slush/rain of chicago and never had any moisture sucked in.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I just installed the Mazdaspeed CAI and its been running great for a few days...

however now the first time driving in the rain and it throws a CEL... (it was not raining hard)
I pulled over and looked in the hood, everything looked fine, however the air filter was wet to the touch.. is that normal?

is it ok to drive hard in the rain? looks to me that water from the tires will get to the filter pretty easily through the holes in the inner tire wall...

I'll take it into the shop tomorrow and have the read the CEL code..
[/b]

It's fine to drive it in the rain. I've thrown codes a couple of times from rain in the intake. I don't remember what number is, but it someting like "MAF/IAT voltage high or out of range". My 3 did the same thing for over 2 years, every time it rained hard, or I washed the car--and nothing serious ever happened. Don't worry too much about it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Filters get wet, thats what happens when it rains, and thankfully that is why they are oiled and such...you should be fine. I drove a car that had a CAI in the snow/slush/rain of chicago and never had any moisture sucked in.
[/b]
I've never had a CAI before, usually just bought a K&N drop-in filter for my other cars.. always cleaned and oiled it regularly..

however on the Mazdaspeed CAI filter it says in big letters "Synthetic filter, do not oil"

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
spent a good amount of time driving around in the storms last week, no problems whatsoever. the car actually was running a little better than normal...cooler air most likely.

mazdaspeed cai 1, ernesto 0

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
to those with cai, do you put some shield around the filter to minimize the water getting to it or is this just something thats normal (filter getting wet) and I should'nt have any worries?

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
You shouldn't have any issues with Hyrdrolocking until the filter is completely submerged...

I wonder if this could be the first case of the AEM/Injen CEL on a Speed6???

My guess is still the gas cap though... take it to the dealer to get it assessed or to a local car store and have them tell you the CEL code...

·
Registered
900 Posts
I have a splash shield that covers the side of the filter that is open to the undercarraige. I also added a shield to the left front inner lower wheel well area to help keep water from splashing into the cavity. I have had a wet filter (which AEM assures me is normal!), but have never had a CEL related to my CAI since it has been on there. Just the usual extreme caution to standing water of pretty much any depth over a couple of inches needs to be observed.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
591 Posts
A couple of weeks ago it was raining so hard the streets started to look like rivers. I slowed down just because I am paranoid, but even with it raining that hard the CEL never came on.

·
Registered
595 Posts
i have the CP-E CAI and put an injen hydroshield on there. I think these things work because i held it under a running faucet and no water got through. Plus it keeps the filter clean and doens't inhibit airflow.

http://www.autoanything.com/air-filters/65A2582A0A0.aspx
[/b]

it it is inhibiting water, than it will inhibit some flow of air also....there is no way to completely block water, then expect that there will be no air flow restriction - think about it.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
it it is inhibiting water, than it will inhibit some flow of air also....there is no way to completely block water, then expect that there will be no air flow restriction - think about it.
[/b]
Yeah I hear you. But there is minimal restriction. And dont take my word for it. RyceBoi flow tested it and found there was no significant difference in airflow. Also, it hasnt thrown a cel.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You shouldn't have any issues with Hyrdrolocking until the filter is completely submerged...

I wonder if this could be the first case of the AEM/Injen CEL on a Speed6???

My guess is still the gas cap though... take it to the dealer to get it assessed or to a local car store and have them tell you the CEL code...
[/b]

Well just came from the shop, I got to look at the computer while he was checkin,

the code was "P2187 - System to lean at idle" bank1

I also asked him to check for an upgrade since I had'nt had the reflash, computer saw a newer pcm,
new version was L38J-18881-B SW-L38JEB000, is that correct??
different numbers than here, http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=51366

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
:shocked:

you now have the first AEM related CEL for the ms6. i dont see how water could create a lean condition tho. as long as the CEL isnt blinking, youre ok. i suggest you just reset that CEL and see if it comes back.

·
Registered
940 Posts
i have the CP-E CAI and put an injen hydroshield on there. I think these things work because i held it under a running faucet and no water got through. Plus it keeps the filter clean and doens't inhibit airflow.

http://www.autoanything.com/air-filters/65A2582A0A0.aspx
[/b]
For your next trick (and for a much more realistic test) insert a vacuum cleaner hose into the hole, turn on the vacuum and stick it under water.

;)

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Well just came from the shop, I got to look at the computer while he was checkin,

the code was "P2187 - System to lean at idle" bank1

I also asked him to check for an upgrade since I had'nt had the reflash, computer saw a newer pcm,
new version was L38J-18881-B SW-L38JEB000, is that correct??
different numbers than here, http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=51366
[/b]
AEM/Mazdaspeed CEL on a Speed6... its a first, probably won't be the last... where is Stretch when you need him :)

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
drove hard during a thunder storm as friday with my fujita. No CE light, the roads were flooded least 2 or 3 inches in some places.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Like I said before though, it has been proven that in order to cause vital engine damage the filter must be submerged... which would require quite a bit of flooding...

·
Registered
578 Posts
A friend of mine has an RX-8 with mazdaspeed CAI. He got his filter wet by driving in the rain and his car ran really lousy for a while and popped up the CEL. Ended up having to pull the MAF sensor and clean it off because it was damp.

Drove around VA during Hurricane Ernesto (tropical storm... whatever) in my ms6 with a cp-e CAI... no problems.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts