Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in the Pacific Northwest in an urban environment with only a couple of snowfalls a year. Not enough to warrant winter tires. However, I can't afford to get caught out and about again on summer tires in a snowfall (this week has been murder for me).

So, I want to go with all seasons on the stock 18" Speed 6 rims. In the OEM 215/45/18 the only option is the P-Zero Nero, but the Canadian pricing on those tires is nuts ($406 list ... I can get them for low $300's per tire but it's pretty outrageous).

That leaves me with optional sizes. Reading through here, the 7" rims can only take a 225/45/18 as an option and I haven't found any fitment problems with the 225/45/18 reported here or on the other two boards I looked at. So, I assume I'm safe at searching out the 225/45/18 option.

The Avon 550's would be a good option, but can't be found in Canada. That leaves me with either the Toyo Proxes 4 or the Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS. I know minimum load index has to be 91, the Potenzas meet and the Proxes are a 95 so both should be OK.

Here's the question(s): Any comments about the three tires (Nero, Proxes, Potenza)? Any other tires I should consider? Anything wrong with my analysis?

Thanks much!

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
If I remember correctly, I read somewhere that Proxes4's were horrendous in the snow...

I also read (I don't know from experience, I live in FL) that skinnier tires were in fact better in the snow...

·
Registered
2017 MZ6 GT Jet Black Mica
3,575 Posts
Avon is great in bad weather, I had 17s on my PT Cruiser that were Avons.

You could always buy a set of winter tires/wheels and keep your OEM rims for summer/fall/spring. That's what I did. I have MazdaSpeed 18s and I bought a set of Mazda3 wheels from EBay and put snow tires on them.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you drop down to 225/40R18's you open up a huge selection of tires at a much lower price. yes it will change your speedo reading but only by 2%. Personally I do not like Bridgestones, the RE050's are good summer tires but expensive the RE92's that came on my old maxima were dangerous on anything but dry roads. The last tires I bought were Falken FK451's (summer tires) were great, cheap, lasted long under severe abuse, good grip. So if I was looking for a all season tire in a climate that did not get a ton of snow I would check these out http://www.edgeracing.com/tire/780/ you can't beat the price. Not sure if they ship to canada though.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's usually only a couple of snowfalls a year. Wet weather handling is the most important requirement combined with the ability to use the car in the occasional snowfall. That's the logic for all seasons.

225/40R18's are not an option on a 7" rim. Have to be 45's.

·
Registered
32 Posts
the sidewall ratio doesn't have any relation to the width of the rim, a 225 tire will go on a 7" wide wheel just fine. It might be more of a pain in the ass for the tire place to mount but who cares.

·
Registered
286 Posts
the sidewall ratio doesn't have any relation to the width of the rim, a 225 tire will go on a 7" wide wheel just fine. It might be more of a pain in the ass for the tire place to mount but who cares.
[/b]
I read it somewhere too that 45 is the minimum you need to fit a 225 on a 7" rim. Basically, 225 is a bit too wide for 7" but if you have eough sidewall to work with, it will fit.

Check here.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The tire shop I have an in with suggested Toyo Proxes4 in the 225/40/r18. They think it's a better fit than the 225/45 even if it's going to be a pain to install.

I've narrowed the price difference to $120 for all four between the Proxes and the Nero's. The Nero's would be the second choice all things being equal, but using an optional size I'm not entirely sure.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
It's usually only a couple of snowfalls a year. Wet weather handling is the most important requirement combined with the ability to use the car in the occasional snowfall. That's the logic for all seasons.
[/b]
If you are primarily interested in wet weather handling, an all season will be significantly worse than a three season tire; it has to be slippery in the wet because of the compromise made to make its tread compound have snow traction.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Here's the question(s): Any comments about the three tires (Nero, Proxes, Potenza)? Any other tires I should consider? Anything wrong with my analysis?

Thanks much!
[/b]
I've been running the P-Zero Neros for the last 10K miles. (installed @ 1K miles)
I'm completely satisfied with their performance wet, dry, and on light snow.
I'm running them in snow country (Ohio) right now.

IMHO when combined with the AWD on the MS6 they are an excellent choice.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I read it somewhere too that 45 is the minimum you need to fit a 225 on a 7" rim. Basically, 225 is a bit too wide for 7" but if you have eough sidewall to work with, it will fit.

Check here.
[/b]
Seems to be that you are correct, never knew that. I can go back to bed now that I have learned something new for the day. I checked some various manufactures websites (including the Toyo Proxes 4) and they all list a 225/40 should go on a minimum 7.5" rim.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.