Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard somewhere that the new Mustang is based off a modified version of the Mazda 6's platform. Is there any truth to this?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
mazda6 is built off the cd3 platform & the d2c for the mustang.

the mustang & NA mazda6 are built at the same factory, the auto-alliance located in flatrock, mi.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Yep. And Ford highway tests their pre-production cars by my house here. I saw the new Mustangs almost 2 years before they were released, but they were all covered in black mesh.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
I heard somewhere that the new Mustang is based off a modified version of the Mazda 6's platform. Is there any truth to this?
[/b]
None at all. It actually shares a lot with the Mazda3 of all things though.

no, the new mustang is based off Lincoln LS and the new Thunderbird.[/b]
Nope. For some reason this continues to be published, but it's simply not true. The DEW98 platform was knocked out of the running for the new Mustang a long time before it came to production. It was just too expensive to produce, it was never designed for a cheap mass-production car like the Mustang. It would have added 30% on to the cost of the Mustang to use that platform, and simply wasn't feasible. Although the basic design of the LS platform was kept (which could be said for just about any RWD car), the similarities end there. The Mustang platform actually shares far more with the Mazda3's C1 platform than with the DEW98 platform.

Although Ford has said as much it's, for obvious reasons, not one to exactly brag about this. Much better to just let the rumors continue about being based on the LS/Thunderbird.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A Ford salesman told me this. I guess I was silly for listening to a salesman anyways :)

Thanks for the info. Very interesting.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
ford put out a good brief about 6 months ago that illustrated the various platorms and the vehicles that are built off them. i downloaded a copy at work, but my machine has since been formated. damn government. anyhow, i'll see if i can find a copy. anyone ese have it?

here's the link to one of the products overviews

1 - 9 of 9 Posts