Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched through a lot of the forum and was trying to find out if the wear I'm getting on my MS6 is typical or not.

I have 27,000 km on a 2006 MS6 (purchased in March of 2007). All my driving is city driving, so not a whole lot of highway driving.

I'm not a heavy braker, and have never had to slam on the brakes of this car, but it has been doing a lot of stop and go.

The dealer claims there is around 3.5mm of pad left on the front, and that they need to change the rotors as well because there is not enough left on the rotor to machine it.

Shouldn't you normally be able to machine a rotor at least once? They also want $724 to change the rotors and pads, which seems like highway robbery to me. (note - we do get raped all the time in canada on pricing, but that still seems high)

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
$724 to replace rotors and pads isn't bad. And you're right, typically you should be able to machine rotors several times on most cars. But some cars don't even allow you to machine it once, you either pad slam them until they reach minimum thickness or replace them every time the pads are done (I'm not saying the 6 is like that, just giving a general example). And are you sure the brakes have never been done on the car before and the rotors have never been machined before already?

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
$724 isnt bad? Are you kidding? What are the rotors 300 a piece? Just did a quick search, anywhere from 69ish to 125ish per rotor, and about $40 for a set of ceramic pads. So at most the parts would cost you about $290 which means they want $450+ for an hour job?

Pop wheels off, pull caliper pins, remove caliper, remove pads, push caliper pistons in, insert new pads, remove rotor, place new rotor, replace caliper and pins, bleed caliper, replace wheel.

I delivered pizza when i got my Talon and i got 32000 out of a set of Raybestos pads and stock rotors...

·
Registered
120 Posts
If I am not mistaken, that puts you around 17k miles which does seem awfully low miles to have gone through brakes but it's hard to account for driving habits. If you have doubts, simply have them show you with a service manager present; they should have no problem with that request.

I just swapped my front pads and rotors at around 32k miles (about 50k km), pads were probably about 4mm but the rotors were pretty grooved and dished so I just put new ones rather than did a resurface.

Not too sure what Mazda's practice is when it comes to rotors on this car, like was said earlier some mfg. don't even do a resurface ever (VW and Audi come to mind)

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
$724 isnt bad? Are you kidding? What are the rotors 300 a piece? Just did a quick search, anywhere from 69ish to 125ish per rotor, and about $40 for a set of ceramic pads. So at most the parts would cost you about $290 which means they want $450+ for an hour job?

Pop wheels off, pull caliper pins, remove caliper, remove pads, push caliper pistons in, insert new pads, remove rotor, place new rotor, replace caliper and pins, bleed caliper, replace wheel.

I delivered pizza when i got my Talon and i got 32000 out of a set of Raybestos pads and stock rotors...
The dealer charges closer to $150-$200 for a set of pads, I'm not sure how much front pads for an MS6 is, but they quoted $163 for a set of rear pads for my 2006 GTV6, so lets say $200. I don't know how much they charge for a set of rotors, but lets say $150 each. That's $500, then add 1.5 hours labor at $100/hr, that's $650. Plus shop supplies and taxes, that would be pretty close to $724. Factory parts are expensive, and things in Canada are more expensive than in the US. If you want to go cheap, go to Canadian Tire or Fountain Tire to do the brake job. Fountain tire gets parts from Napa and they cost about 50-70% of the dealer parts, probably not as good quality, but they'll work.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Brakes are one item I wouldn't go to the dealer for. If Just Brakes doesn't have the pads in stock, they can probably get them within a day. Also a great place to get a 2nd opinion on your rotors. If they are shot, look for some aftermarkets.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts