Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just did some testing on our speed 6navigation of my own. There is a very good chance that we can add a reverse camera to our vehicle without spending crazy dollo. I just posted on a cx-7 forum asking if someone can take pics of their navi harness's and possbly trace the wires from the nav to the reverse cam. I BET that the reverse cam is nothing more than a composite signal cam being fed into the navigation unit. Anyway if you want to help out with this read here

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread....211#post2709211

In the diagnostic screen on our navi, they wired it to register when we go in reverse, which my 04' mazda 3 navigation did not. So that would engage the camera IF the navigation unit registered their being a camera plugged in. We are also wired up for voice activation, the software is there, and all we need to add is the mic.

If anyone has the part #'s or where I can order the cx-7:
reverse camera
microphone

Thanks all!!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Hummm I don't have problems backing up... so all the work to install or mod something like this seems like a waste... In fact anything that isn't huge... like navigator.. or whatever... doesn't need this unless the driver shouldn't be driving in the first place...

The stock screen resolution is terrible to boot.... meaning doing this mod for... say... DvD playback or video's of some sort... is pretty wasted anyway...

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hey guys, I just did some testing on our speed 6navigation of my own. There is a very good chance that we can add a reverse camera to our vehicle without spending crazy dollo. I just posted on a cx-7 forum asking if someone can take pics of their navi harness's and possbly trace the wires from the nav to the reverse cam. I BET that the reverse cam is nothing more than a composite signal cam being fed into the navigation unit. Anyway if you want to help out with this read here

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread....211#post2709211
In the diagnostic screen on our navi, they wired it to register when we go in reverse, which my 04' mazda 3 navigation did not. So that would engage the camera IF the navigation unit registered their being a camera plugged in. We are also wired up for voice activation, the software is there, and all we need to add is the mic.

If anyone has the part #'s or where I can order the cx-7:
reverse camera
microphone
Thanks all!!
[/b]
BUMP
I am interested in this info as well definitely keep up the investigating. Found out this morning that we could have the mic hooked up as well i did the code that someone entered on one of the other topics i think it was up up down down up up down down and it lets you do a mic check and adjust the sensitivty of the mic. It requested that i talk into the mic. Just got to find a mic that we can buy that would look factory. As for the reverse camera it might be doable but with a license plate camera because the one on the cx-7 if i can remember was built somewhere into the hatch of it. Also theres a few menus in there that might let us be able to use the nav when driving (type a location).

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Hummm I don't have problems backing up... so all the work to install or mod something like this seems like a waste... In fact anything that isn't huge... like navigator.. or whatever... doesn't need this unless the driver shouldn't be driving in the first place...

The stock screen resolution is terrible to boot.... meaning doing this mod for... say... DvD playback or video's of some sort... is pretty wasted anyway...
[/b]
Well, I'll chime in here from my own experiences and concerns. First, I am a parent who is very paranoid. Even with the best child locks things can happen. I've heard too many horror stories on kids getting backed over. So in my old 6 I installed a rearview camera on a license plate holder. I got a hold of a navi monitor from europe. I thought the monitor had very good resolution.

To use the camera, I bought the a/v switcher from www.avelectronic.com. It was a part of a larger a/v system that had a carputer, etc. The camera worked great and provided me with piece of mind. Yes, your view behind you is not obstructed, except for anything shorter than the top of your trunklid, like kids. So, I have to disagree with you. There is a need for it for certain people.

Now, avelectronic has a cheaper alternative such as the single input switcher. You just splice into a few wires, wire up the camera for power, run the wiring and cut the hole to run the wire for the license plate camera and you are good to go.

Attachments

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
awesome thanks... now anyone here speak german and want to shoot this guy an email? A guy I worked with just left yesterday to go back to germany because his visa was up.... he spoke german... but I wont be able to contact him for a few weeks...

·
Registered
275 Posts
BUMP
I am interested in this info as well definitely keep up the investigating. Found out this morning that we could have the mic hooked up as well i did the code that someone entered on one of the other topics i think it was up up down down up up down down and it lets you do a mic check and adjust the sensitivty of the mic. It requested that i talk into the mic. Just got to find a mic that we can buy that would look factory. As for the reverse camera it might be doable but with a license plate camera because the one on the cx-7 if i can remember was built somewhere into the hatch of it. Also theres a few menus in there that might let us be able to use the nav when driving (type a location).
[/b]
What screen do you have to do this on? I would be very intersted in voice command.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts