Mazda 6 Forums banner

81 - 100 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Does SRI and exhaust need reflash of the car

Hi there,

I bought my second MSP6 last month, I was having a 2006 GX and now I bought a 2007 GT Navi (I also owned a 2004 mazda6i so I am a 6 lover!). I bought a Cobb SRI wich I installed on my 2006 and I had some problems ( throttle oscillating while driving at 80+ kph and putting the car at neutral point, and a weird sensation of the car compressing-not-compressing-not while driving at constant speed and just a little of gas on the pedal. The second problem is not present on my 2007 but the first one is still there. I plan to buy a magnaflow catback. My question would be, does a reflash or a programmation is needed or recommended with MSP6 to prevent engine damage at long term? I want to have my car for a while and these are the only mods I want to do (to have that sound! the power is enough for me!), so i don't want to do a programming that adds power to the car, ideally I would not change the programming at all, but I want to be sure that it is safe to add the SRI and the exhaust without playing with the CPU. Sorry for my english, I'm from Quebec!
Thanks for your post

·
Registered
611 Posts
Hi there,

I bought my second MSP6 last month, I was having a 2006 GX and now I bought a 2007 GT Navi (I also owned a 2004 mazda6i so I am a 6 lover!). I bought a Cobb SRI wich I installed on my 2006 and I had some problems ( throttle oscillating while driving at 80+ kph and putting the car at neutral point, and a weird sensation of the car compressing-not-compressing-not while driving at constant speed and just a little of gas on the pedal. The second problem is not present on my 2007 but the first one is still there. I plan to buy a magnaflow catback. My question would be, does a reflash or a programmation is needed or recommended with MSP6 to prevent engine damage at long term? I want to have my car for a while and these are the only mods I want to do (to have that sound! the power is enough for me!), so i don't want to do a programming that adds power to the car, ideally I would not change the programming at all, but I want to be sure that it is safe to add the SRI and the exhaust without playing with the CPU. Sorry for my english, I'm from Quebec!
Thanks for your post
There was a factory reflash but you'll have to check with your dealer to see if your car has had it. A SRI and exhaust shouldn't require any tuning if you want to leave the ECU stock. Your fuel trims may be a bit off but not so bad you'd need a tune. I'm not sure what you mean by compressing-not compressing so i cant help there.

·
Registered
836 Posts
maybe i read over it but are intercoolers on the OP? trying to decide what i want and came here to find out :)

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
You won't find any info on bigger mods like an IC on this thread, it stops at around flashes to get your stock POS running right lol. Just make a thread and ask, fuck it.

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
And if it's a good thread it might get added here.

·
Registered
13 Posts
hey just bought a 06 mazda6 classic wats the best body kit i dont wont to lower it though if possible may i get a link to a site to buy the kit from to
thanks..

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
ms6 noob question.

so, i have a ms6 with 80k miles. sometimes when i am hitting boost, the car seems to hiccup. and i don't believe it to be turbo lag. for example, i will boost at 3000-3500 rpm in 3rd gear and it will boost and then like let off for a second, i can feel the car hiccup is the best way to describe it. and i hear like a pop or bubble from the exhaust and then it picks up again. and the only reason this worries me is because it doesnt do it everytime, only sometimes. any thoughts? should i get this checked out asap? maybe a boost leak?

·
Registered
836 Posts
ms6 noob question.

so, i have a ms6 with 80k miles. sometimes when i am hitting boost, the car seems to hiccup. and i don't believe it to be turbo lag. for example, i will boost at 3000-3500 rpm in 3rd gear and it will boost and then like let off for a second, i can feel the car hiccup is the best way to describe it. and i hear like a pop or bubble from the exhaust and then it picks up again. and the only reason this worries me is because it doesnt do it everytime, only sometimes. any thoughts? should i get this checked out asap? maybe a boost leak?
kinda sounds like the WOT stutter. stretching the coils used to be the thing to do but ever since the v2 cobb AP maps came out things have been quieter about it. get an ap :)

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
kinda sounds like the WOT stutter. stretching the coils used to be the thing to do but ever since the v2 cobb AP maps came out things have been quieter about it. get an ap :)
hmm ok, i thought something might have been wrong with my car, so thats good to hear i'm not the only one experiencing it. someone on 6crew suggested switching to Denso 1 step colder plugs. I guess i might try that in the mean time. I will definitely get an AP once i can afford one lol.

·
Premium Member
2,168 Posts
hmm ok, i thought something might have been wrong with my car, so thats good to hear i'm not the only one experiencing it. someone on 6crew suggested switching to Denso 1 step colder plugs. I guess i might try that in the mean time. I will definitely get an AP once i can afford one lol.
An AP will make your car run smoothly, provided that you've been maintaining it properly. The stock tune is crap (rich AFR, load limits, etc). COBB's off-the-shelf tunes fix at lot of those issues and add improvements. They work great for both stock and modified ms6s.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So if I find an 06 that's all stock and in good shape <40,000 miles: what can I do to:

Preserve the car? (oil catch can? Motor mounts? Rear differential braces/mounts?)

Tweak the performance? (SRI? New plugs?)

I do not want to increase power so much as to stress and break the motor/trans/etc. I also don't want to spend all my weekends working on the thing or have it in the speed shop all the time etc. I like to work on cars and do have some experience but don't want to create a $16500 pain in the ass.

Any suggestions? I read the whole newbie thread and would just like some advice on what minor mods are good that won't compromise the day to day functioning of the car.

Sorry if the same question is posted somewhere that I have missed.

Can even a stock car benefit from an AP?

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
The AP makes a HUGE difference compared to the stock tune. One of the best first mods you can do since not only does it remove the crappy stock tune, but it gives you the best method of pulling data from your car so you have accurate knowledge of what's going on.

It's also a great early mod because it's a force multiplier that will allow you to get the most benefit from each change you make, and to quantify the results of those changes.

Enjoy it, and be sure to ask questions as you go, the AP, and it's free tuning software, can be a bit intimidating at first

·
Registered
291 Posts
The AP makes a HUGE difference compared to the stock tune. One of the best first mods you can do since not only does it remove the crappy stock tune, but it gives you the best method of pulling data from your car so you have accurate knowledge of what's going on.

It's also a great early mod because it's a force multiplier that will allow you to get the most benefit from each change you make, and to quantify the results of those changes.

Enjoy it, and be sure to ask questions as you go, the AP, and it's free tuning software, can be a bit intimidating at first
I'm still dragging my feet on buying an AP. I know it will make a huge difference (and hopefully the engine will be healthier not using the OEM tune), but I am pretty intimidated by the tuning. I have heard some people say that even the OTS maps from Cobb can be dangerous (even if they match the installed mods).

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
There's no doubt that it deserves proper respect. Many folks just don't think mechanically or have experience to draw from that provides baseline understanding of what all that stuff means.

When you want the benefits, but not the seat time to figure everything out, or the risk of possibly screwing something up, then getting an e-tune or a pro-tune is the way to go. Pro-tuning is going to a shop and paying them to do the work for you, getting an e-tune is working with somebody via email by sending logs and getting updated maps back.

When you decide to pick up your AP let me know. I'd be happy to work with you on an e-tune. I should have my tuning options published shortly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I did my spark plugs today (actually, a guy at work did them for me and showed me how to do them)...

Anyway, I saw this behind my intercooler and was wondering if anyone could tell me what it is?

Thanks.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I've seen that, too. It leads to a sealed firewall, from what I can see.

81 - 100 of 120 Posts