Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Keep this one towards the top, as I am curious as well.

Thanks,
Jason

·
Registered
429 Posts
I have been running DS down in Texas this year. I've run DS 3 times in Houston, and I ran a novice group in San Antonio once. The run in San Antonio I finished first out of about 23 cars using adjusted times based on class. Straight times I came in second behind an EVO. In houston, the DS class is usually pretty small. I've finished second all three times behind a WRX (that runs racing tires), but have beaten a BMW 330, Acura Integra Type-R, Audi TT easily. In the rain, it beats just about anything out there. Once I throw on some Azenis, I think I can run down the WRX and take first in the Houston area. The braking is very responsive, I'm still getting used to driving a heavier car though, coming from a Del Sol. The one thing it does really well is come out of a turn and accelerate. With all the wheels pushing, it grips quick and there is no lag since you are usually at a high enough rpm. The understeer really isn't bad once you learn how to take corners with this car.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I run DS here in the SF bay area...very competitive class out here so I'm not doing great, but my times are getting better. I just started autocrossing in early 2007 and have done mainly large track events (hpde's) dating back to 1999

I'll be taking my MS6 to Infineon in a couple weeks for a NASA HPDE event...I'm looking forward to getting it out on a track to see how it performs

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am currently running an RX-8 and with the most recent recall I am thinking I might want to get out of it and into something that may not require an engine replacement.

Does Koni make a yellow version for the Speed6. I have them on my 8 and it is a night and day difference from stock.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Does Koni make a yellow version for the Speed6. I have them on my 8 and it is a night and day difference from stock.

Thanks for the help.
[/b]
The rears for the regular 6 should fit. The fronts I'm not sure since they are inserts.

·
Registered
451 Posts
if you go to youtube, i think there are a couple vids of speed6's doing autox

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've done a few AutoX in the Speed6, the stock car is quick on the launch and pulls strong, but autoX favors light nimble cars which dont necesarilly need a lot of power. The weight of the speed6 really is its weak point. I dont believe its the best platform for AutoX, but with a much larger rear swaybar and heavier spring rates, it will rotate much better, but its overall size and weight really hurts it. The Speed6 is much more fun on a track where higher speeds help to rotate its large chassis and then you can actually open up the car and use its power.

-Billy Johnson

·
Registered
319 Posts
I run DS here in the SF bay area...very competitive class out here so I'm not doing great, but my times are getting better. I just started autocrossing in early 2007 and have done mainly large track events (hpde's) dating back to 1999
I'll be taking my MS6 to Infineon in a couple weeks for a NASA HPDE event...I'm looking forward to getting it out on a track to see how it performs
[/b]
Did you you run at Infineon? Curious of what kind of lap times you turned?

·
Registered
188 Posts
I've only done it 3 times and each its been in DS. Stock tires are O.K. and the understeer is kinda bad but it could just be that I'm still new at this. The three times I've gone I've gotten top 10's for front drive street tire. I have gotten quite a few people asking how the car is, so I'm happy that people notice the car.

·
Registered
86 Posts
you know it has a lot to do with the driver... right? the first time I went Autoxing in the Z (my first time overall as well) I got 49th out of 70. Not terrible I feel, but a STOCK saturn Ion beat my time by some ungodly amount, and came in 6th overall.

Stock Saturn Ion vs. Z = I think it was the driver.

Improve your skills, get some rcomps then it doesn't matter what car you run.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts