Mazda 6 Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Well guys, if all goes well, I should take possession of the car this Saturday (to take it to a Mazda mechanic for a complete check over). If all looks well by the following Monday, I will be the proud owner by that evening. Any advice as to WHAT to direct the Mazda mechanic to look for?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Since compression has already been checked, I'd get them to check the VVT system to make sure it's operating properly and that the chain is tight. Back in the day there were issues with it getting loose and fixed under warranty, I would assume that any car rolling in 2019 has already been fixed by this point, but that's not something you want to pay for out of pocket. Aside from that the usual stuff, check the engine, check the turbo, check the AWD system (although if there's an issue you'll probably feel it when you are driving it, the transfer case likes to vibrate and make noise before it goes out.)

Also check for recalls, the Speed 6 was part of the big Takata airbag recall. Whether it's done or not it should be a free fix as long as the dealer can get the parts. Mine was done right before I bought mine, they put a sticker in the door frame to show it had been done.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Since compression has already been checked, I'd get them to check the VVT system to make sure it's operating properly and that the chain is tight. Back in the day there were issues with it getting loose and fixed under warranty, I would assume that any car rolling in 2019 has already been fixed by this point, but that's not something you want to pay for out of pocket. Aside from that the usual stuff, check the engine, check the turbo, check the AWD system (although if there's an issue you'll probably feel it when you are driving it, the transfer case likes to vibrate and make noise before it goes out.)

Also check for recalls, the Speed 6 was part of the big Takata airbag recall. Whether it's done or not it should be a free fix as long as the dealer can get the parts. Mine was done right before I bought mine, they put a sticker in the door frame to show it had been done.
Again, all of this is super good advice. Some points to add-on:

The Mazdaspeed6 drivetrain components (including engine and AWD) are known to fail from abusive driving such as hard launching, etc. If OP plans to drive this minty clean example this way, well, I'm really hoping you don't.

Stretched timing chain issues can hint towards neglected oil changes, same as VVT issues.

BMW's turbo 4 cylinders, especially the diesels and even Mazda's 2.2 diesel are all known to have stretched timing chain issues. BMW's computer doubles each oil change interval, meaning it tells you to change the oil once every 15k miles or so. The end result was terrible sludge issues which led to stretched timing chains. you'll know it when you hear it. Lots of Mazdaspeed owners use Shell Rotella in their car, although it's a diesel oil the additives are particularly good at fighting the properties of DI motor's and high mileage sludge. will give your crankcase a deep clean in the process. Royal Purple does the same..

21 - 23 of 23 Posts