Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I owned a Mazda 6 & fixed it up pretty nice but it was never a Mazdaspeed 6. I'm about to purchase one in the next few weeks and the owner said the only issue with it is that it has "an oil leak from fuel pump gasket or fuel pump cam cap" & that it would cost between "$200-$400" to fix. Any input from you guys?
It s black 2006 with 118,000 miles on it. It "looks" immaculate. The owner plans to let me drive it for a few days and is willing to let me take it to a mechanic or Mazda to check it out before I buy it (which is pretty solid of him,I think). I used to be a member here years back and I'm glad to be back because you guys truly helped me love Mazda's. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Jonathan

·
Registered
252 Posts
I owned a Mazda 6 & fixed it up pretty nice but it was never a Mazdaspeed 6. I'm about to purchase one in the next few weeks and the owner said the only issue with it is that it has "an oil leak from fuel pump gasket or fuel pump cam cap" & that it would cost between "$200-$400" to fix. Any input from you guys?
It s black 2006 with 118,000 miles on it. It "looks" immaculate. The owner plans to let me drive it for a few days and is willing to let me take it to a mechanic or Mazda to check it out before I buy it (which is pretty solid of him,I think). I used to be a member here years back and I'm glad to be back because you guys truly helped me love Mazda's. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Jonathan
At that mileage I would absolutely be warying of owning such a car, but he seems pretty confident, so could be a good buy. I would definetely pay lots of attention to the engine and the way it runs because they tend to blow.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE-
The owner also sent me the following information of his 2006 Mazdaspeed 6:
1) 2 out of the 3 engine mounts have been replaced (all aftermarket)
2) The turbo is new and has less than 1000 miles on it
3) It is "fully bolted" except for the intake and manifold
4) It has an aftermarket tune (was going for E85)
5) List of aftermarket parts:
a) Cobb 3 intake/turbo inlet pipe
b) Full EGR delete
c) Corksport downpipe
d) Cpe single exit exhaust
Any further input from you guys here on the forum?
I'm planning to buy it next week.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Whats the compression?
This. Depending on the price it could be a sweet buy, but be extra careful with modded cars. It looks like the modding was tasteful and he wasn't using cheap ebay crap, but you still need to be careful. I'd definitely get a compression test done to make sure everything is in order. I wouldn't expect the compression to be super high anyway on a car of this age but as long as it's consistent that's fine. MAKE SURE he includes the Accessport or whatever he's using to tune it up. If he uninstalls the Accessport to sell it separately that reloads the stock map and with those mods you'll go boom in short order, or have to drop an extra grand on a new Accessport and some etuning.

There are two red flags I see given the information in this thread. One, I don't see an upgraded HPFP in the list of mods, and this is essential in this vehicle with any mods more than a simple intake. That said, it's probably been done and it just wasn't listed. If it hasn't been done, walk away. Two, the oil leak mentioned, if he is correct, is a pretty simple fix and certainly much easier than installing that turbo 1000 miles ago and it puzzles me that it hasn't been fixed. My money says that he has no idea where the leak is and he's selling the car because he doesn't want to fool with it anymore. If it were me I'd make him fix it before sale if you decide to buy it, even if it means you have to pay a little more.

With all that said, I drive a Mazdaspeed 6 and I really love the car. It's a beaut and there's not much out there that's like it.

·
Registered
252 Posts
This. Depending on the price it could be a sweet buy, but be extra careful with modded cars. It looks like the modding was tasteful and he wasn't using cheap ebay crap, but you still need to be careful. I'd definitely get a compression test done to make sure everything is in order. I wouldn't expect the compression to be super high anyway on a car of this age but as long as it's consistent that's fine. MAKE SURE he includes the Accessport or whatever he's using to tune it up. If he uninstalls the Accessport to sell it separately that reloads the stock map and with those mods you'll go boom in short order, or have to drop an extra grand on a new Accessport and some etuning.

There are two red flags I see given the information in this thread. One, I don't see an upgraded HPFP in the list of mods, and this is essential in this vehicle with any mods more than a simple intake. That said, it's probably been done and it just wasn't listed. If it hasn't been done, walk away. Two, the oil leak mentioned, if he is correct, is a pretty simple fix and certainly much easier than installing that turbo 1000 miles ago and it puzzles me that it hasn't been fixed. My money says that he has no idea where the leak is and he's selling the car because he doesn't want to fool with it anymore. If it were me I'd make him fix it before sale if you decide to buy it, even if it means you have to pay a little more.

With all that said, I drive a Mazdaspeed 6 and I really love the car. It's a beaut and there's not much out there that's like it.
^^^ what he said.

HPFP, and the overall condition of engine are two main concerns.

·
Registered
252 Posts
190 across the board
Compression sounds quite good actually. If it's consistent across all four cylinders sounds like the engine is healthy.

Another thing you'll have to keep in mind if you do buy the car is cleaning carbon out of the intake valves with a walnut blast. Ask the owner if he has already done that.

If you can, post a video of the engine running (on youtube?) with the hood up, both when completely cold and fully warmed up. Have someone rev the engine up lightly while you film - will give you a good idea in terms of engine health.

So far so good - Just make sure you take the car to a mechanic and figure out for sure how much it will cost to have the fuel leak fixed BEFORE you buy it.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I honestly think you are over thinking it. The condition of the body on a 13 year old vehicle says a lot about how well it has been taken care of, and you said it's immaculate. Suspension and engine components are relatively easy to fix and return to perfect condition, a worn body and/or interior, not so much, you can spend a lot and still not get it to look as good as new.
Seller is giving you the chance to drive it for a few days, do that. Feel/hear the suspension for any noises, see how it shifts, see how the clutch works and make sure it is not worn, take it to your mechanic and find out about that leak. I doubt the seller will fix it for you.
190 psi on a 13 year old engine is good, that already tells you something.

Reality is that you are buying a < $10k >10 year vehicle, no matter how much you check, it may still give you issues on day two or be trouble free for years. I've always said that buying a used vehicle regardless of use/age is like buying the lottery.

Not sure why it was said to walk away if it didn't have a High Pressure Fuel Pump (please educate me), y own a tuned SHO currently delivering ~400 hp and it doesn't have one. You only see the need of a HPFP when you go to larger injectors and serious mods, all the mods listed are Stage 1, so I honestly don't see any concerns unless you guys tell me the stock FP on the Speed 6 is just adequate and doesn't have any room for minor performance upgrades.
A brand new turbo is a plus, ask if all oil lines were replaced and see if there is any warranty available on the parts and labor for it.

And yes, make sure the tuner with the stock file is included in the sale.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I honestly think you are over thinking it. The condition of the body on a 13 year old vehicle says a lot about how well it has been taken care of, and you said it's immaculate. Suspension and engine components are relatively easy to fix and return to perfect condition, a worn body and/or interior, not so much, you can spend a lot and still not get it to look as good as new.
Seller is giving you the chance to drive it for a few days, do that. Feel/hear the suspension for any noises, see how it shifts, see how the clutch works and make sure it is not worn, take it to your mechanic and find out about that leak. I doubt the seller will fix it for you.
190 psi on a 13 year old engine is good, that already tells you something.

Reality is that you are buying a < $10k >10 year vehicle, no matter how much you check, it may still give you issues on day two or be trouble free for years. I've always said that buying a used vehicle regardless of use/age is like buying the lottery.

Not sure why it was said to walk away if it didn't have a High Pressure Fuel Pump (please educate me), y own a tuned SHO currently delivering ~400 hp and it doesn't have one. You only see the need of a HPFP when you go to larger injectors and serious mods, all the mods listed are Stage 1, so I honestly don't see any concerns unless you guys tell me the stock FP on the Speed 6 is just adequate and doesn't have any room for minor performance upgrades.
A brand new turbo is a plus, ask if all oil lines were replaced and see if there is any warranty available on the parts and labor for it.

And yes, make sure the tuner with the stock file is included in the sale.
I agree, but generally speaking these Mazdaspeeds do not have a very durable drivetrain and the 2.3 tends to blow often. However, in this case I'm more inclined to believe the way the owner took care of the car (specifically during the break in period when new) makes all the difference. As soon as I hear high Mile Mazdaspeed 6 I'm like hell no. This example has to be one of the very few.

As for the HPFP with this engine I have heard many issues, so it absolutely is something to be concerned about .

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You guys rock!! The seller gave me the following information today:
1) The vehicle WILL come with the Accessport
2) It has NOT had a leakdown
3) All stock parts (including the rims and OEM parts he swapped with the aftermarket items) will come with the car once I buy it
4) It has a set of Michelin pilot sport AS3's
5) It makes about 305HP on aftermarket time
6) It was being tuned for E85
Thats what I got from the seller today guys. Any input?
About to post some pics too...

Attachments

·
Registered
252 Posts
You guys rock!! The seller gave me the following information today:
1) The vehicle WILL come with the Accessport
2) It has NOT had a leakdown
3) All stock parts (including the rims and OEM parts he swapped with the aftermarket items) will come with the car once I buy it
4) It has a set of Michelin pilot sport AS3's
5) It makes about 305HP on aftermarket time
6) It was being tuned for E85
Thats what I got from the seller today guys. Any input?
About to post some pics too...
Looks real good. Reminds me of my friends first gen v6 ... Find out about replacing the fuel pump and figure out the fuel leak as the final step.

Those aftermarket rims... the finish with the chrome lip is horrendous. but the design of the wheel itself looks good on the car lol.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looks real good. Reminds me of my friends first gen v6 ... Find out about replacing the fuel pump and figure out the fuel leak as the final step.

Those aftermarket rims... the finish with the chrome lip is horrendous. but the design of the wheel itself looks good on the car lol.
I will (most likely) put the stick rims back on it.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I will (most likely) put the stick rims back on it.
Yea, gag on those rims and the tires look undersized. Also, if you have some items that ARENT in the car, my 6 GT is gonna be a parts car. I drove a MS6 before and was amazed at the things it DIDNT have vs my car. Heated side mirrors, Homelink mirror, sun roof, 6 disc changer etc.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts