Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Vendor
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
We have all of the flanges ready to go ahead of schedule.

We will have the racepipes with catalyst available monday next week on our webpage.

-Derrick

·
Registered
26 Posts
Quick photo here. Just got this one off the welding table and took a pic, should have some more detail shots available later (tomorrow?) along with full details in a press release. As for the sound on the vehicle, we'll post video clips as soon as we have a party interested in buying one, but from the dB tests we've done on other vehicles with catalyst vs. resonator, there's a slight decrease in sound with the catalyst, but the larger diameter piping should drop the tone of the exhaust slightly when moving from a factory diameter catalyst pipe. From our experience, diameter changes wavelength and that effects tone of the exhaust whereas resonators, mufflers and catalysts effect the amplitude of the exhaust sound depending on design.

For some more detail, these are a full 3" TIG welded T304 stainless steel pipe with a metallic substrate high flow (200 cell) catalyst. The catalytic converter does not utilize vermiculite packing or a ceramic substrate like most factory units use. Instead it uses a malleable metallic structure and crush washers to retain the substrate brick. This means you get a catalyst that isn't held in with packing around the outside which can blow out at high temps and high backpressures. Also, these catalysts do not have cracking or fragmentation issues like the brittle ceramic units often suffer.

The flanges are a factory style with a floating front flange for attachment to the downpipe donut gasket, ensuring easy alignment and direct fit. They can be attached to factory size donut gaskets at the downpipe or larger aftermarket donut gaskets as found on our Power Series 80mm Downpipe.

Jason Griffith
Product Development Engineer
CorkSport Mazda Performance

Attachments

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
nice.. how much? and how much if i wanted to provide sound clips? eh? i just installed cs dp this weekend... its tits, but the install is not....

·
Registered
26 Posts
QUOTE (bmorrisj @ Feb 2 2010, 11:18 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1634201
nice.. how much? and how much if i wanted to provide sound clips? eh? i just installed cs dp this weekend... its tits, but the install is not....[/b]
Yeah. No me gusta the install on that DP. Or any MS6 DP for that matter - the removal is the tough part, eh?

I'll talk to Derrick about a deal for sound clips!! ;-)

Jason

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
QUOTE ([email protected] @ Feb 2 2010, 11:40 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1634205
Yeah. No me gusta the install on that DP. Or any MS6 DP for that matter - the removal is the tough part, eh?

I'll talk to Derrick about a deal for sound clips!! ;-)

Jason[/b]

and the 02 sensor that comes overtightened from the factory as a bonus... i should invest in manufacturers of m18x1.5 die sets

·
Registered
26 Posts
QUOTE (bmorrisj @ Feb 2 2010, 12:42 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1634218
and the 02 sensor that comes overtightened from the factory as a bonus... i should invest in manufacturers of m18x1.5 die sets[/b]
Knowing Mazda, in my experience they calibrate their torque wrenches to the waaay low side, because most of the factory fasteners are either blasted on or overtorqued on purpose. But with that O2 sensor, it's probably heat cycling more than overtight from the factory.

One good lesson to be learned there is invest in anti-seize, and use it in reasonable amounts on anything that heat cycles and you have to tighten. On everything from sensor threads to nuts and bolts. Not only does it help to get fasteners apart in the future, but it also provides a good method of getting consistent torque numbers from one fastener to the next.

Jason
CorkSport

1 - 8 of 8 Posts