Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
***Hope this topic isn't listed anywhere else yet. If it has, blow this one away and I humbly apologize.***

The Mazdaspeed 6 2007 model has just arrived here in the lower mainland in BC, CANADA.

Obviously, this is the Canadian model and there seems to be a couple of small changes on it.

(1) Navigation System is now available on the MS6 for Canada. Our US friends had already been enjoying this feature and this is now finally available in Canada.

(2) The Horsepower Rating has dropped to 270 HP (from 274 HP), but the torque number remains the same at 280 tq. SAE ratings.

(3) There are again only 3 exterior colors available (Titanium Grey Metallic, Velocity Red Mica and Black Mica), but Liquid Platinum Silver? has been replaced. Again, the US counterpart has more colors.

(4) Xenon Headlamps (2006 model had Bi-Xenon?....correct me if I'm wrong).

(5) Price went up with the Navigation Package. Sells for approximately $42,000+ CAN. listed price on lot (top of the line MS6 with leather).

No other visual differences in appearance as far as I can tell.

I was able to take a brief test drive this car and found it to be similar to my MS6 2006 with the following differences:

(1) The clutch seems smoother and lighter...is this just me, or did they improve this?!? Take-offs are smoother, easier to shift and power is ultra smooth.

(2) Shifter feels smoother from 1st to 2nd to 3rd...it must be just perception or did they improve on this as well?

(3) Navigation (for Canadians of course..) Neat little popup screen that replaces the cubby-hole on top of the dash. Flips open with a button and a big Mazda Symbol on a white background on the LCD screen starts. The Navigation package also has a tilt feature and removable remote left of the shifter. Didn't get to play with it a lot, but neat to watch.

My overall impression:

They could have made it a lot better, but only improved it a bit. For our friends in the US, probably no difference at all (other than perhaps the HP rating). Overall, still a great package and a good price (at least in Canada) for all the stuff you get. As I've said before, it feels and drives like a German car, has good power, luxury and performance to boot.

WISH LIST (wish the MS6 had it as standard equipment, but still doesn't):

(1) MP3 6-changer. Have to buy it separately still...
(2) Memory seats would be nice (at least for the driver).
(3) Limited slip diff up front and a more active AWD system (similar to Subaru).
(4) Different looking wheels/wider wheels. Gotten used to the look of the wheels, but we've all seen better.
(5) Folding rear seats like that of the regular M6. This is less of a gripe, but I think they still could have made it stiff enough without having to kill/restrict this feature on the car.

Off topic, the powered hard-top Miata (Oops! MX-5) is also now out (I also own this car). The first shipment of these here (I've been told, has sold out already), but I was able to get a demonstration of the operation of the hard-top. Great little car (and now also neat to watch the hard-top operation)...

·
Registered
829 Posts
wow, if they really improved the clutch and shifter, then I would say they did more than I was expecting. I figured they weren't going to do major changes...more like, hey guys, we have enough parts for more MS6s, let's make another year. <shrug>

·
Registered
358 Posts
Is the clutch still hydraulics?

I wish Mazda would slap on LED tail lights. The new Speed3 will have them!! :drool:

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I wonder if the hp change is because of the reflash.

·
Registered
795 Posts
ill go check them out tonight see if my dealer got any

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I only got a brief test drive around the block so I can't be sure. The car was so new, it still had plastic covers on the inside and large stickers on the hood. I don't think it was even PDI (dealer prepped) yet. I'm lucky, cause I know the Mazda guys personally so I was able to take a drive.

I could be imagining it, but I swear the clutch was lighter and smoother (at least compared to my own MS 2006). The shifter also felt slightly smoother. For all I know, I could have a screw loose...so everyone reading this should take my blurb with a grain of salt until someone else drives it and confirms.

I'm tempted to trade my car for the new one just for the Navigation, but I'll most likely lose a ton of money in the process. So sad in Canada...

wow, if they really improved the clutch and shifter, then I would say they did more than I was expecting. I figured they weren't going to do major changes...more like, hey guys, we have enough parts for more MS6s, let's make another year. <shrug>
[/b]

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
As I had previously mentioned in another thread, my May '06 production Canadian spec 2006 MS6 Sport seemed to have a much lighter clutch feel than the two I test drove earlier in the year (January and early March). These two cars would probably have been in the first or second production batch, as the Jan test drive was in a brand new car with about 15kms on it, and the 2nd test drive was in the Sales Managers personal ride, which had 8000kms on it so was probably on the road in either Dec or Jan.

The cam action is still present on mine, but the "lighter" clutch "spring", or whatever it was, makes it much less tricky to control the clutch at engagement point. Also, at the time I was buying my MS6 (in late June) I drove another MS6 (3rd test drive). I don't remember much about the clutch on that one, but I do remember specifically noting that the clutch on my car, which I took delivery of two weeks later after that 3rd test drive, was noticeably lighter, so the clutch on the 3rd car probably wasn't much different from the first two I drove, otherwise I would have noticed the difference sooner.

Can't comment on any difference in shifting though. If there is any it was subtle compared to the clutch. I do remember noticing that the 2nd test drive in the well broken in Sales Manager's car (8k kms) had smoother shifting, more snick-snick, than the first car. I remember noting this as something to look forward to once the linkage broke in.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
$42,000 cnd is just crazy. No offence to Mazda, but how many people will slap down $42k when its in BMW, Acura, Infiniti, and Lexus territory.
[/b]
$42,00 is crazy.. and is that taxes in.. since what's the tax now 13%?

·
Registered
440 Posts
(5) Folding rear seats like that of the regular M6. This is less of a gripe, but I think they still could have made it stiff enough without having to kill/restrict this feature on the car.
[/b]
The rear seats DO fold down.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I only got a brief test drive around the block so I can't be sure. The car was so new, it still had plastic covers on the inside and large stickers on the hood. I don't think it was even PDI (dealer prepped) yet.
[/b]
Exactly how mine was when I bought it w/ 5 miles :love:

Sux about the HP tho...

·
Registered
428 Posts
That just kills me. I'd love to have had the nav in my car. Or at least the stock flip up screen. Good to hear the shifting feels a little smoother too, cause my dealer doesnt seem to believe that the shifting on my car is crap between 1-2-3.

·
Registered
23 Posts
$42,000 cnd is just crazy. No offence to Mazda, but how many people will slap down $42k when its in BMW, Acura, Infiniti, and Lexus territory.
[/b]
The BMW 330IX (AWD 6.6sec 0-100KM) starts at CD$50,500! That's for a stripped down model with no options (which are hard to find to begin with). Add leather, sport package, 6-disc CD, etc. and your at $58,000+. Thanks anyway. I'll stick with the Mazdaspeed 6. In fact I ditched my 528I for the Mazda 6 weeks ago, and I couldn't be happier. Plus you can get the Mazda with a 7year 160,000KM warranty. Well worth it IMHO.

Now if only I'd waited, I could have had the 2007 with NAV. Any word on the OEM Sirius Radio for Canadians?

·
Registered
210 Posts
All 2007 Mazda 3's have LED taillights not just the Speed 3's. I Personally think they look like ass.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Now if only I'd waited, I could have had the 2007 with NAV. [/b]
The Mazda NAV option ends up costing 3k CDN or something like that. I'd prefer to shell out 800$ on an aftermarket navigation GPS tool instead.

·
Registered
482 Posts
[/b]
I knew someone will come up with this... IT IS IN CANADA, NOT US~~~~~ :slap:

·
Registered
305 Posts
I knew someone will come up with this... IT IS IN CANADA, NOT US~~~~~ :slap:
[/b]
You have to wonder why the big price spread between USA and Canada - after all, we are now talking a 90 cent dollar - Canucks are paying a lot more than a 10% premium to offset the US buck.

·
Registered
117 Posts
You have to wonder why the big price spread between USA and Canada - after all, we are now talking a 90 cent dollar - Canucks are paying a lot more than a 10% premium to offset the US buck.
[/b]
Vechile prices in Canada are still set at $0.70-75 and it is typically harder to get CDN dealers to drop the price. It is now typical to see Canadains coming to the US to buy and then import vehicles. Just it like some US buyers were doing so when the CDN$ was under $0.65. It works for many vehicles with the exception on Honda that tries to nuke the warranty. Even for imports there is only a 6.1% duty. Compare MS6 GT with sunroof for $25k US to almost $40k in Canada.... Not a tough choice even after the duties, fees, couple visits to (Canadian tire and DMV) and even shipping or flying and driving...

Been there done that!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Vechile prices in Canada are still set at $0.70-75 and it is typically harder to get CDN dealers to drop the price. It is now typical to see Canadains coming to the US to buy and then import vehicles. Just it like some US buyers were doing so when the CDN$ was under $0.65. It works for many vehicles with the exception on Honda that tries to nuke the warranty. Even for imports there is only a 6.1% duty. Compare MS6 GT with sunroof for $25k US to almost $40k in Canada.... Not a tough choice even after the duties, fees, couple visits to (Canadian tire and DMV) and even shipping or flying and driving...

Been there done that!
[/b]
Damn MS3 is $22.5K in the US and $30K here in Canada. If I could, I would lease an MS3 from just across the border, but apparently they won't lease to Canucks in the US.

R

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, I concur. But I don't think it's really Mazda doing the dirty work here...it's the Canadian Government with all their excise taxes, duties, gas taxes, yadda, yadda. I love living in Canada (I used to live in the US until I got married and moved up here), but the taxes and red tape here are just killers IMHO. The luxury brands you've listed are even higher here than the $42k CAN. that Mazda wants, so in retrospect, what Mazda offers a reasonable deal for the performance and level of luxury. Such is life....

[/b]

1 - 20 of 24 Posts