Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2006 MS6 was at the local dealer for a check engine light, door locks and window problem. The door locks and trunk locks did not want to work when it rained and the windows would not operate with the auto feature. They could not get this to duplicate due to dry weather during the weeks stay at the dealer.

The engine code was for lean durn at idle. They could not find anything wrong. They asked me if I had a tuner on the computer, or if I ran race gas in it, or if I ran low octane gas in it? I stated no to everything and told them the car hasn't ran right since the recall and reflash. They told me the problem was the intake, but couldn't be sure until the stock intake was put back on the car. I told them I didn't have the stock intake due to my wife tossing it in the garbage after I filled for divorse. They told me they could not repair the car until it was back to stock. I called Mazda USA and they told me they would not repair the car with the CPE intake on the car. I took it to another dealer and they got a code that the car was running rich on banks 1 and 2. When they called Mazda Tech, they were told to back the car out of the garage.

I thought there were laws to protect consumers from OEM not allowing aftermarket parts? Has anyone else had a similar problem? I wish now I would have bought the STI. Subaru welcomes mods and will tell you what to expect in performance with the different mods.

Any help is appreciated. Oh, if you are reading this from Mazda, Bite Me!

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
My 2006 MS6 was at the local dealer for a check engine light, door locks and window problem. The door locks and trunk locks did not want to work when it rained and the windows would not operate with the auto feature. They could not get this to duplicate due to dry weather during the weeks stay at the dealer.

The engine code was for lean durn at idle. They could not find anything wrong. They asked me if I had a tuner on the computer, or if I ran race gas in it, or if I ran low octane gas in it? I stated no to everything and told them the car hasn't ran right since the recall and reflash. They told me the problem was the intake, but couldn't be sure until the stock intake was put back on the car. I told them I didn't have the stock intake due to my wife tossing it in the garbage after I filled for divorse. They told me they could not repair the car until it was back to stock. I called Mazda USA and they told me they would not repair the car with the CPE intake on the car. I took it to another dealer and they got a code that the car was running rich on banks 1 and 2. When they called Mazda Tech, they were told to back the car out of the garage.

I thought there were laws to protect consumers from OEM not allowing aftermarket parts? Has anyone else had a similar problem? I wish now I would have bought the STI. Subaru welcomes mods and will tell you what to expect in performance with the different mods.

[/b]
Dude, I'm sorry to hear that, totally sucks and is unfair! I'd contact the regional service rep, an intake cannot allow them to void all work. There are WAY too many people running CPE's for them to say they won't do anything until it's back to stock and that is the root cause.

As far as I know - and people here may say I'm wrong - the CAI wouldn't/couldn't cause a lean idle. The stock MAF is still there so it's mapping that data to the ECU, which I bet is where the problem lay. They're just trying to F you. Have you thought about another dealership maybe? I mean, would they tell me with my MS CAI to take it off before they'd do anything? I doubt it, they're just looking for a scapegoat.

Good luck!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The first dealer told me they agreed that the problem is not the CAI. The car surges at times and throws a CEL. The car will idle up and down and then just stop and run smooth. The first dealer even told me Mazda was aware of the surge issues as a result of the reflash. I was told I would have to live with it and the CAI was causing turbulance and making the car run lean.

The second dealer told me the code they got was totally different and that when they called Mazda, they were told to stop working on the car!

Mazda really dissappoints me. Have you seen the commercial where they claim more Mazdas are raced on a weekend than any other brand? If that is true, I am sure it is with out any help from Mazda. God help us if they would support the tunning community.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I hate service advisors, techs, and dealers that give a hard time when they sell a performance car that they themselves sell PERFORMANCE parts for. Anywho, hate it for you, but the only way you're going to get help is with the stock intake in place. That would prove to you and them who's right. I hope you are, and I will admit, as a service advisor I've stood up for the customer only to have egg on my face later.......

·
Registered
700 Posts
the warrenty states that they can refuse to fix the problem if what you have modded is causing it. I have had no problem with my dealership at John Finger mazda. they had my car in so many times and i had ALOT done to my last 6s. i would say it all depends on the dealership.

I wouldn't recomend calling the regional service rep because thats who i was told if they came in the garage and saw you had aftermarket parts would close the hood and tell them to back it out. This was told to me by my service rep.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
I thought there were laws to protect consumers from OEM not allowing aftermarket parts? Has anyone else had a similar problem? [/b]
The law also states that a dealership has the right to refuse service. Mazda doesn't have that right, but a dealer does. What Mazda has the right to do is tell you that they aren't willing to work on the car until it's been returned to the condition that they warranty it in. The law also stipulates that Mazda only has to have a reasonable expectation that your mod is causing the problem. Since a "lean at idle" code is VERY common when using CAIs on Mazda6s, it is a reasonable assumption that your CAI is causing the problem.

The code that you're getting is a common code on standard Mazda6s when using a CAI. Chances are your problem is un-related since, 1> you have an MS6, and 2> you have a CP-E which is supposed to prevent that problem. But Mazda has zero responsibility to work on a car that's not in the condition that they warranty it in if they have any reason to believe that they're going to need to work on or around that modification. Their people aren't trained to work around other people's modifications. And the connection between your mod and the problem is a reasonable leap based on past experiences with Mazda6s and CAIs.

I wish now I would have bought the STI. Subaru welcomes mods and will tell you what to expect in performance with the different mods.[/b]
Haha. Subaru welcomes mods? The company that's gone to local races and video'd people racing as evidence to deny warranties? The company that's gone so far as to actually release press releases telling people not to modify their cars (the WRX specifically)?

Subaru does sell a lot of performance type mods for their cars, that's true.. But if you read the fine print you'll see that they're sold "as is", for "off-highway use only", and that installing them voids your factory warranty. They even tell you that installing their exhaust components is a violation of federal law and you could be fined $10,000.

Subaru is widely regarded in the enthusiast community as the absolute poster child for manufacturers that talk out of bother sides of their mouth in regards to performance modifiations.

Mazda really dissappoints me. Have you seen the commercial where they claim more Mazdas are raced on a weekend than any other brand? If that is true, I am sure it is with out any help from Mazda.[/b]
Mazda actually is the #1 manufacturer for support of racing. They own their own racetracks, including one of the best in the nation, run not only their own teams but their own entire series of racing, and have a seperate divisions just for the development of racing parts for the novice racer where you can buy anything from stock parts at wholesale prices right down to custom fiberglass panels for your car for the uber-serious weekend racer. And they even pay you, just regular people, for winning local races as long as you use a Mazda decal and compete against at least 4 other drivers.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I thought there were laws to protect consumers from OEM not allowing aftermarket parts? Has anyone else had a similar problem?
[/b]
You might be able to win this one but you will likely have to take it to (small claims) court.

I do have an easy suggestion: find someone in your area that has also got a CAI. Most people probably still have their intake! Borrow it for a few days and take it back to the dealer with the "original" intake. Then there will be no issues!

Nastier: buy the whole thing from one dealer and take it back for work to another. After the repair, return all the gear!

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
The company that's gone to local races and video'd people racing as evidence to deny warranties? \
[/b]
Off subject and not to threadjack, but there was a TV crew at TWS and as soon as everyone saw them, on went the blue tape over licenses plates :)

Check out the pic in the thread ( http://picasaweb.google.com/Klash2005/TWS) where I'm changing brake fluid - taped over baby! Funny as most people were less concerned about the warranty than cancellation of insurance from their carriers!!! Racing with your insured street car can and will get you booted from insurance! Least raised to a higher rate :)

·
Registered
2,914 Posts

[/b]
If you want some help, call this number 877-232-3402 and ask for Shawn in the Service Department. This dealership I do business with and they have never had issues with any mods on my car. They are the only Mazda dealership that carries CPE products and they are quite familiar with them.

So relate the issues that you are having and I am sure they will take steps to help you. Tell them that Marlon referred you.

·
Registered
706 Posts
That's awesome. I'm constantly amazed at how many dealers who will refuse service over simple bolt on modifications. They sell the same frickin part. Marlon, you're the man for helping out.

·
Registered
672 Posts
The thread starter should immediately speak with a consumer protection attorney in his area, as long as he's not in California, most will take the case for no fee up front and bill the fee to the loser.
[/b]
What's different about California?

·
Registered
76 Posts
dude any part put on the car will void the warranty. everyone says that it has to lead or cause the problem but that is up to the dealer or techs to decide. if you were having problems with the motor you should have put the stock intake back on. I know you didnt have it but maybe you could have borrowed one from someone. basically you kinda screwed yourself now because they will note the vin number. I hydro-locked a motor with a CAI and had the motor warrantied but i worked a dealership at the time. if i didn't it would have cost me 3500 for a new block and bottom end.

and subaru is not mod friendly. i put 50,000 on my wrx and never had a problem. did a turbo back and tuning at 7,000 miles with no problems. i would not say they are mod friendly i would just say maybe very reliable. i have heard many horror stories about modded subarus just like every other brand.

·
Registered
134 Posts
dude any part put on the car will void the warranty. everyone says that it has to lead or cause the problem but that is up to the dealer or techs to decide. if you were having problems with the motor you should have put the stock intake back on. I know you didnt have it but maybe you could have borrowed one from someone. basically you kinda screwed yourself now because they will note the vin number. I hydro-locked a motor with a CAI and had the motor warrantied but i worked a dealership at the time. if i didn't it would have cost me 3500 for a new block and bottom end.

and subaru is not mod friendly. i put 50,000 on my wrx and never had a problem. did a turbo back and tuning at 7,000 miles with no problems. i would not say they are mod friendly i would just say maybe very reliable. i have heard many horror stories about modded subarus just like every other brand.
[/b]

Actually, that is not correct. Federal law protects consumer rights to use aftermarket parts on a vehicle without being denied warranty service. It's called The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302©), and a summary can be found below. Think about it...how could one differentiate between aftermarket tires, brake pads, rotors or even windshield wipers vs. an aftermarket CAI. Certainly tires and brakes can affect perfomance just as much as a CAI, though in different areas.

What the law does not protect against is if the aftermarket part installed can cause the issue the car is observing. Point is a manufacturer would likely be violating federal law if they denied warranty on say your turbo because you have aftermarket brakes installed. The part being warranted has to be related to the aftermarket part and the aftermarket part has to be shown to have caused or have the potential to cause the problem. In this case the cause is unclear, and the CAI could be the culprit in the eyes of the dealership. While many people on this board have used the same CAI with NO problems, the dealership has no facts to say one way or the other. If they already did diagnostics, but cannot find any problems thus far. They might believe that the CAI is causing the issue. So it is within their rights to deny any further diagnostics under warranty without the car being put back to stock form.

My recommendation, contact your regional rep and send off some letters to Mazda NA headquarters.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302©)
This federal law regulates warranties for the protection of consumers. The essence of the law concerning aftermarket auto parts is that a vehicle manufacturer may not condition a written or implied warranty on the consumers using parts or services which are identified by brand, trade, or corporate name (such as the vehicle maker's brand) unless the parts or service are provided free of charge. The law means that the use of an aftermarket part alone is not cause for denying the warranty. However, the law's protection does not extend to aftermarket parts in situations where such parts actually caused the damage being claimed under the warranty. Further, consumers are advised to be aware of any specific terms or conditions stated in the warranty which may result in its being voided. The law states in relevant part:

“No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumers using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name...” (15 U.S.C. 2302©).

·
Registered
375 Posts
see thats the funny thing about most companies, most of them sell the parts but dont warrenty them and say they are for offroad use only....
that is accept most american companies

dodge is great for this stuff they have stages and such that boost your power way beyond that of a noral car the have 36k mile warenty on the parts and they are street legal.... o ya gm does it too

just thought id throw that your way

·
Registered
76 Posts
Actually, that is not correct. Federal law protects consumer rights to use aftermarket parts on a vehicle without being denied warranty service. It's called The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302©), and a summary can be found below. Think about it...how could one differentiate between aftermarket tires, brake pads, rotors or even windshield wipers vs. an aftermarket CAI. Certainly tires and brakes can affect perfomance just as much as a CAI, though in different areas.

What the law does not protect against is if the aftermarket part installed can cause the issue the car is observing. Point is a manufacturer would likely be violating federal law if they denied warranty on say your turbo because you have aftermarket brakes installed. The part being warranted has to be related to the aftermarket part and the aftermarket part has to be shown to have caused or have the potential to cause the problem. In this case the cause is unclear, and the CAI could be the culprit in the eyes of the dealership. While many people on this board have used the same CAI with NO problems, the dealership has no facts to say one way or the other. If they already did diagnostics, but cannot find any problems thus far. They might believe that the CAI is causing the issue. So it is within their rights to deny any further diagnostics under warranty without the car being put back to stock form.

My recommendation, contact your regional rep and send off some letters to Mazda NA headquarters.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302©)
This federal law regulates warranties for the protection of consumers. The essence of the law concerning aftermarket auto parts is that a vehicle manufacturer may not condition a written or implied warranty on the consumers using parts or services which are identified by brand, trade, or corporate name (such as the vehicle maker's brand) unless the parts or service are provided free of charge. The law means that the use of an aftermarket part alone is not cause for denying the warranty. However, the law's protection does not extend to aftermarket parts in situations where such parts actually caused the damage being claimed under the warranty. Further, consumers are advised to be aware of any specific terms or conditions stated in the warranty which may result in its being voided. The law states in relevant part:

“No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumers using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name...” (15 U.S.C. 2302©).

[/b]
i know of this law. There is also another law that protects the company providing the warranty. (when i find it i will let you know) that basically state the opposite.

the parts you stated (aftermarket tires, brake pads, rotors or even windshield wipers) are parts that will not be covered under warranty, including clutch, unless they can be proven to be caused by manufacturer defect. any parts that can be worn excessively by customer or through abuse will not be covered.

mitsubishi was going to autox events taking down plate numbers and voiding customers warranties because they thought cars were being abused. when you buy an evo you have to watch a 25 min video warning you not to do any aftermarket parts or use anything other than mobile 1 in your car or it will void warranty. i sat through this video when my buddy bought his.

in the case of a CAI the dealer can pretty much make up an excuse to prove they are right. how can you prove them wrong if they come to you and say the CAI messed with the MAF senor to make it run rich or lean. bottom line is you go there with aftermarket parts they will try to screw you. i've read of cases where people with lowered cars had engine problems and the dealer linked the problems to vibration caused by the after market springs.

when i hydrolocked my car due to a CAI in three feet of water that i didn't seem coming, my service manager said if i took the car to any dealer it would not have been covered under warranty becasue my CAI caused the issue. luckily i worked at the dealer and got it covered because i had a "stock intake."

see thats the funny thing about most companies, most of them sell the parts but dont warrenty them and say they are for offroad use only....
that is accept most american companies

dodge is great for this stuff they have stages and such that boost your power way beyond that of a noral car the have 36k mile warenty on the parts and they are street legal.... o ya gm does it too

just thought id throw that your way
[/b]

you are part right. i had a srt 4. if you do the stage packages the warranty only covers them if you have the dealer install them, and pay their rates. gm and toyota are also the same way with their supercharger kits.

·
Registered
493 Posts
[/b]
Some Acura dealers also cover aftermarket parts along with the factory warranty if they are dealer installed. Of course, a JRSC street kit costs around $5K installed so you pay one way or another.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The "other" law you are thinking of is for third party warranties, they can set whatever terms they want. They are not the manufacturer after all. OEM's have to comply with federal consumer protection mandates. Don't get me wrong, dealers will play their games.
BTW, in Ohio, you can pretty much trash your car for the first 12 months. According to the consumer protection acts in Ohio no part on a car should fail in the first 12 months, INCLUDING the brakes, clutch and those other "wear" parts.
OTHER STATES VARY.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I fought with the dealership over my car having an intake and exhaust. I was forced to put the car completely back to stock until they would work on the car, but they didn't complain about working on it once it was stock, but the mazdatech line specifically tells the dealership NOT to work on the car if it has any modifications, with exception to approved mazdaspeed parts. This has basically caused me to lose interest in modifying my car ever again. The problem ended up being a bad O2 sensor, which was the fault of the shop that installed my gauges. I will give them credit though, once they found it was the 02 sensor and wasn't the fault of mazda, they didn't charge me a penny...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts