Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I emailed [email protected] telling them I'd like to buy a 5-door Mazda 6 and asking when it would be available.

I got back a lengthy response, much of it boilerplate, but containing this:

In regards to your inquiry, Mazda has not made a final decision for the  
hatchback, or wagon version, of the Mazda6 for the United States.[/b]
And, importantly:

I have documented your comments for the corporate record, which is continuously reviewed in an effort to provide only the highest quality products to our customers. I have also forwarded a copy of your thoughts to our Product Planning department.[/b]
So if you're in the USA and you'd like to buy a 5-door or wagon 6, send an email to [email protected] and let them know. And better yet, if you know anyone else enthusiastic about purchasing the 5-door, please ask them to write a friendly letter to Mazda USA letting them know. It would be good for them to get a variety of emails from folks who aren't all just on one board. :)

I don't know how much effect emails can have on product plans. But I've seen every sign that the "enthusiasts" are interested in the 5-door version of the 6 due to its better looks and greater utility. They must have some clue on that, since they based the Mazdaspeed 6 on that model. But I'm hoping that they'll launch the hatch sooner than later if they see the real demand for that model.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Mazda's answer on USA Hatch/Wagon'

Hmmm...I'm quite sure that I've read an official statement somewhere that Mazda USA WILL bring the wagon and the hatch.

This must be a case of the left hand vs the right hand...:sarc

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Originally posted by tcwong

I already wrote to mazda usa a couple times on the hatch. Prehaps we should send them the link to the body style post later.

http://www.goonish.com/atenza/read.php?TID=370

I wonder if mazda reads this message board!?[/b]
That's why I started it... :)

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I got from their answer that they hadn't made a final decision on WHEN they'd be releasing them. (Since my initial question was on timing.)

·
Registered
391 Posts

I know that in Canada, the wagon will come but not sure when, they approved it. But they didn't approve the hatchback yet. I find that so stupid, the hatch is way better looking and Hatchback are very popular in Quebec.

·
Registered
13 Posts

I sent my own email just now. I am buying a new car in March or so of next year. I told Mazdausa that the Mazda6 sedan is now #2 on my list (to an Acura TSX); but if the hatchback were available then, Mazda6 hatchback moves up to #1. No shit!

·
Registered
319 Posts

Out of curiousity, why is the TSX #1??

In all honesty, I would think the Mazda6 will offer you more performance, and more features for the same, or slightly less money. Unless, you have that fairly common American fetish for little "A" badges on your hood ;) Plus, IMHO the TSX is kinda a funny looking car.

I'm just wondering why you have that as your choice. I don't know all that much about the TSX, but I do know that that is most definitely not on my list of cars I'd consider buying.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

The TSX is #2 on my list. Obviously I haven't been able to drive either one but the only advantage it would seem, at this point in time and for what information I have, that the TSX would have is..
(1) an assured rock solid resale value (unless Honda really messes up. But
what's the chance of that!)
(2) and what many consider the best NAV system in the car market. And its
voice activated to.

The M6's advantages?
(1) Killer looks
(2) Probably better price

As far as performance.. no one has been able to test drive the US tunned version of the TSX so we have no insight into that.

·
Registered
837 Posts

Jerome,

You have to admit that there is some sort of resemblance between the Mazda 6 and the Euro/JDM Accord soon to be Acura TSX. Though, it will be more expensive as you mentioned. Acura is a higher premium model that usually package their car with a little extra something just to justify the extra cost over the regular Honda Accord.

Yes you can get Mazda 6 with almost every single toys that Acura may offer but there may be some stuff that you can not get with the Mazda or Honda that Acura will have. For example, Acura may offer a higly tuned L4 (200+ HP) with a 6 speed manual or 5 speed Tiptronic. They may even up the current V6 model with DOHC i-VTEC and pump it out to over 300+ HP. We can never tell but you know that Acura as a premium brand will have to have one up on the normal competition.

For me, the Mazda 6 fit the bill real nice. But if the car is a big disappointment when I go see and test drive the car then I will have to put my tail between my legs and wait for the TSX. Sorry Mazda, but like I say previously in another thread, if they disappoint me with quality issue and driving dynamics because the car is made here for people over here than I have to pass on it and go with the car that fits my wants.

·
Registered
13 Posts

Jerome --
I like the TSX because I like Hondas. The TSX is the European Accord with an Acura badge. It's a little smaller than the NA Accord, which means it's about the same size as the Mazda6, i.e., the right size. I expect the performance and handling of the two cars to be comparable, unless Acura screws theirs up by softening the suspension. I expect the Acura to be more expensive, with an interior that will hold its own with Audi and Lexus. I've been driving a 99 Accord with leather interior for over 3 years, and I really feel spoiled by this car. If the Mazda is better dynamically, I'll buy the Mazda. If the hatchback is available in the spring, I'll buy the Mazda. Otherwise, I'll buy the TSX.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

Hieppo: My understanding is that there are no plans for the TSX to receive a V6 at all. I guess they don't want to cannabilize TL sales. Makes sense to me.

·
Registered
319 Posts

How much is the TSX supposed to cost? My understanding is that it will be about $25K, and more along the lines of a 4 door RSX than anything. I own a RSX Type S right now, and while I do think the interior is very nice, it is most certainly NOT close to the quality of Audi, which IMHO has the best interiors on earth. Even Lexus' I would say are still slightly better, though the RSX I would take over the IS300.

I guess I'm just a little skeptical about the TSX. I do like Hondas, in fact the only cars I've ever owned have been either a Honda or a Mazda. I think overall I prefer Mazda's driving dynamics to Hondas, but many times Hondas make such good financial sense. It also doesn't help that since I bought my last Mazda in 1990, Mazda then went into the dumps and I lost my desire to buy a new one, and thus bought 2 Hondas inbetween. Now that Mazdas are back, I would say I am going to once again pick a Mazda over a Honda.

I just have the feeling that the TSX will be much like my RSX in that it is a VERY VERY good car, but just doesn't have quite the edge I think the Mazda will deliver. The RSX is a lot of fun, but I think Mazda can do better.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts