Mazda 6 Forums banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
So my pesky cylinder 6 has been a thorn in my side ever since I bought the wagon about a year and a half ago. A few months after I bought it it misfired on 6 so I replaced all the coils and plugs like I planned to anyhow. The wagon has always been an oil drinker, and I was smelling burning oil after running it hard, but a month or so ago it misfired on 6 bad, enough that the plug wasn't usable. I thought, it's been a year so I'll put in a new plug and not worry. Two weeks later, it misfired again and I knew what had to be done: valve cover gaskets. I really don't like cracking the engine open but it's really a life or death situation for the motor. Luckily, the front three cylinders are very easy compared to the back 3.

Thanks to @bluedevil6 and his fantastic guide, it wasn't bad at all and it was incredibly satisfying cracking the cover's seal and peeling it off ? You can maybe tell from the picture that cylinder 6 had more crud around it where oil was likely seeping into the plug tube. The only worry I had is that every bit of plastic under the hood is incredibly brittle due to age. I cracked a couple tabs and even damaged a wire, but nothing a little (or lot) of electrical tape can't fix!

So after a day of driving, I haven't smelled any oil at all and no CEL. I'm hoping that oil consumption has slowed or even stopped. Fingers crossed! View attachment 238055
Not 100% sure... but does your v6 have roller finger followers with the pivot points being hydraulic valve clearance compensators (like the Ford Duratec was in my '98 Mystique)...or are they direct acting mechanical bucket /shim lifters? Do u have the water pump drive off the frt bank intake cam?

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Not 100% sure... but does your v6 have roller finger followers with the pivot points being hydraulic valve clearance compensators (like the Ford Duratec was in my '98 Mystique)...or are they direct acting mechanical bucket /shim lifters? Do u have the water pump drive off the frt bank intake cam?
I don't know enough about engines to answer any of that, haha.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Reactions: MazdaMoisturization

·
Registered
640 Posts
Can’t help much with the oil consumption, as I don’t use oil like the typical 3.0s I only go through about 1/2 to 1 quart between my 4K oci’s, I think that has to do with my mystery leak on the upper front of my engine.
But I can say I haven’t been in a while and the wagon is looking really good!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

484 Posts
Can’t help much with the oil consumption, as I don’t use oil like the typical 3.0s I only go through about 1/2 to 1 quart between my 4K oci’s, I think that has to do with my mystery leak on the upper front of my engine.
But I can say I haven’t been in a while and the wagon is looking really good!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A friend of mine used to own a 2007 3.0 ATX just like yours and it never consumed a drop of oil between changes. He drove the shit out of it too.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
The wagon's cloudy lenses have been persistent through these past couple years. I've come to the conclusion that if they're REALLY hazy like mine, any attempts to clear them by hand polishing will be temporary at best. So I went with the "nuclear option," the 3M "heavy duty" headlight polishing kit that requires use of a power drill for the pads. It works. Before:

Horrible, right? After:

I added my signature blend of waxes after to hopefully protect the shine.

·
Rally Racer
2,637 Posts
@MazdaMetalhead looks great! You are really going to appreciate that come nightfall. I found mine stayed that way for about 4-6 months before they got cloudy again. I decided to spray them with a UV resistant clear but they ended up orange peeling quite a bit. I was able to sand out a lot of it but I think in the end I will have to replace the covers. I'll just add that to the list. The longer...and longer... list. :sneaky:

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Finally swapped the warm weather wheels on and gave the wagon a wash this week. I also ended up repainting the "mustache" the body color. It really does look better than the chrome.

Reactions: DrFeelGood

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Installed a trailer hitch and carrier to pick up my new (to me) '78 Kawasaki KE100 today!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
HAHA, nice man! I used to have a 1979 Honda CB125.

What size receiver did you go with? I would love to see an underside pic if you have one.

Wagon looks great.
Thanks! I've been lusting after 70s dual sports for a couple years. They're just beautiful and also last forever. I briefly had a Chinese CT70 clone but didn't like it. So this came along and I made it mine! Runs beautifully.

The hitch is a 1.25". It's a sketchy looking setup since with the carrier and bike it's right at the tongue weight limit, but I didn't have any problems on the 80-mile trip and it feels solid. If I think of it I'll get some underside photos.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts