Mazda 6 Forums banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

Registered
So my pesky cylinder 6 has been a thorn in my side ever since I bought the wagon about a year and a half ago. A few months after I bought it it misfired on 6 so I replaced all the coils and plugs like I planned to anyhow. The wagon has always been an oil drinker, and I was smelling burning oil after running it hard, but a month or so ago it misfired on 6 bad, enough that the plug wasn't usable. I thought, it's been a year so I'll put in a new plug and not worry. Two weeks later, it misfired again and I knew what had to be done: valve cover gaskets. I really don't like cracking the engine open but it's really a life or death situation for the motor. Luckily, the front three cylinders are very easy compared to the back 3.

Thanks to @bluedevil6 and his fantastic guide, it wasn't bad at all and it was incredibly satisfying cracking the cover's seal and peeling it off 馃榾 You can maybe tell from the picture that cylinder 6 had more crud around it where oil was likely seeping into the plug tube. The only worry I had is that every bit of plastic under the hood is incredibly brittle due to age. I cracked a couple tabs and even damaged a wire, but nothing a little (or lot) of electrical tape can't fix!

So after a day of driving, I haven't smelled any oil at all and no CEL. I'm hoping that oil consumption has slowed or even stopped. Fingers crossed! View attachment 238055
Not 100% sure... but does your v6 have roller finger followers with the pivot points being hydraulic valve clearance compensators (like the Ford Duratec was in my '98 Mystique)...or are they direct acting mechanical bucket /shim lifters? Do u have the water pump drive off the frt bank intake cam?

Registered
Discussion Starter #64
Not 100% sure... but does your v6 have roller finger followers with the pivot points being hydraulic valve clearance compensators (like the Ford Duratec was in my '98 Mystique)...or are they direct acting mechanical bucket /shim lifters? Do u have the water pump drive off the frt bank intake cam?
I don't know enough about engines to answer any of that, haha.

Registered
Discussion Starter #67

Registered
Can鈥檛 help much with the oil consumption, as I don鈥檛 use oil like the typical 3.0s I only go through about 1/2 to 1 quart between my 4K oci鈥檚, I think that has to do with my mystery leak on the upper front of my engine.
But I can say I haven鈥檛 been in a while and the wagon is looking really good!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Can鈥檛 help much with the oil consumption, as I don鈥檛 use oil like the typical 3.0s I only go through about 1/2 to 1 quart between my 4K oci鈥檚, I think that has to do with my mystery leak on the upper front of my engine.
But I can say I haven鈥檛 been in a while and the wagon is looking really good!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A friend of mine used to own a 2007 3.0 ATX just like yours and it never consumed a drop of oil between changes. He drove the shit out of it too.

61 - 70 of 70 Posts