Mazda 6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I completely understand lol same here when I painted mine blue I just bought the $7 vht spray can caliper paint I’ve redone them twice (with the same single can) and they’re already chipping and peeling again, thanks for the link
I forgot to say that although the POR 15 is just a tiny little can, I've done all 4 calipers with the recommended 2 coats each and I've used maybe 10% of the can. Not joking, it's insane the amount of coverage you get even though it goes on thick. I haven't used spray caliper paint but right now this seems like the way to go.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
So tonight I finished up getting the wheels and calipers painted and mounted back on the wagon. I wish the tires especially weren't so dirty, and these were the best angles I could get. BUT, I do like how it's looking. Pardon the messy garage.

Attachments

·
Registered
611 Posts
Wheels look good, as for the garage I'm jealous you have an actual garage lol

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
@MazdaMetalhead ... saw these photos over on the wagon love thread. Your machine is looking really tight!
Thank you thank you. Cheap and tasteful is my mantra. IMO the matte (really more satin) black paint on the OEM wheels looks incredible--totally changes the look of the car. All for like $5.86 per can at WalMart lol

·
Registered
98 Posts
If you use the spray caliper paint it is NOT capable of handling anywhere near the heat which the can will say it can handle (something like 350-400 degrees). POR15 is the best choice, then duplicolor if you aren't going to be seeing any higher friction pads or lapping days.

Had that crap flinging all around the wheel barrel, then catching on fire, on my '89 civic hatchback when bedding in a set of Cobalt Friction XR-2 pads prior to a track day (B18c5r block with B16c head, fully stripped interior, 10,000ish redline). Was factory calipers, master cylinder and DOT3 brake fluid, so the caliper paint shouldn't have been the weak link.

Pretty sure bits of the brake pad had stuck into the paint then caught it on fire. Still, it was a dicey moment having to do a sprint down public roads, wheels on fire, without brakes to try and extinguish the fire without shocking the metal with cold water.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Pretty sure bits of the brake pad had stuck into the paint then caught it on fire. Still, it was a dicey moment having to do a sprint down public roads, wheels on fire, without brakes to try and extinguish the fire without shocking the metal with cold water.
That's terrifying but also a little funny. You're alive to tell the tale, so it could've been much worse!

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Didn't expect the wagon would see daylight yesterday. Photo op!

Attachments

·
Registered
611 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Changed the lowbeams tonight. Can't say I'm a fan. Anyone who says you don't have to move the coolant tank out of the way is insane, haha. So removing the three tank screws, all three of them broke off. It's ok, because I was still able to move it. I'll have to get new screws however. Even with the tank gone it was very, very difficult to work in there. The passenger side was out, so I replaced both with brighter bulbs. Only, I dropped the driver side bulb and it's way down in the assembly, the old bulb, which works, is sharing the assembly with the new bulb. Obviously not ideal. But I did get the new passenger side in just fine, only that the assembly screw-on cap dropped down into the wheel well area when I was screwing it back on. I'm all done for tonight and will deal with it tomorrow. Is it easier to just take the front wheels off? Changing headlights on this car absolutely sucks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
I like what you've done with you car! Look forward to future updates :)

·
Registered
611 Posts
Changed the lowbeams tonight. Can't say I'm a fan. Anyone who says you don't have to move the coolant tank out of the way is insane, haha. So removing the three tank screws, all three of them broke off. It's ok, because I was still able to move it. I'll have to get new screws however. Even with the tank gone it was very, very difficult to work in there. The passenger side was out, so I replaced both with brighter bulbs. Only, I dropped the driver side bulb and it's way down in the assembly, the old bulb, which works, is sharing the assembly with the new bulb. Obviously not ideal. But I did get the new passenger side in just fine, only that the assembly screw-on cap dropped down into the wheel well area when I was screwing it back on. I'm all done for tonight and will deal with it tomorrow. Is it easier to just take the front wheels off? Changing headlights on this car absolutely sucks!

When I did my bulbs I found it easiest to partially remove the wheel well liner for both sides. You don’t necessarily HAVE to take the wheels off but it does make it much easier, you can take enough of the tabs out and push it over behind the wheel enough to get access to the lights without taking off the wheels if you don’t want to take the time to get the wheels off.

Completely agree Mazda made it nearly impossible to change the headlight bulbs on these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Only took me like 2-2.5 hours over three nights to get the stupid plenum off to change the coils, plugs and gaskets, haha. But what a sense of accomplishment when it finally pops off! I have other plans tonight so I'll get to the easier parts. This job sucks 😁

Attachments

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I agree... this was one of my first jobs and it was a bugger! It was so nice to have all cylinders reliably firing though.
It's a gigantic pain in the ass, but I figure at 160k I'm not going to be taking off the plenum again. I've already done the PCV valve, so once I do the coils, plugs and gaskets that's it, it's not coming off again, haha.

I also cleaned the throttle body and MAF sensor while I was in there with the CRC kit. The wagon runs like a top already, although it does use a little more oil than I'd like, but I figure all this stuff will put it in top shape so I won't have to really touch the engine again for the next couple years (knock on wood).

·
Registered
611 Posts
Not sure about you but for me the first time I had that thing off the hardest part was the EGR, but that has since been eliminated and the coolant tee because I broke it, also gone lol

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
As for the EGR, I just left it hanging in the breeze when I took off my plenum. Although I had it off here recently just because I wanted to bench clean it. The pipe to the exhaust came off reasonably smoothly with little fuss. However, I suspect I was lucky.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Finished up last night! Brand new coils and NGK iridium plugs. Haven't driven it yet but it idled just fine. And other good news--tomorrow I'm picking up a set of '15 6 rims from a kid who's selling them for $150!

Attachments

·
Registered
611 Posts
Finished up last night! Brand new coils and NGK iridium plugs. Haven't driven it yet but it idled just fine. And other good news--tomorrow I'm picking up a set of '15 6 rims from a kid who's selling them for $150!

Those wheels are going to look awesome, are you going to leave them that color?

21 - 40 of 70 Posts