Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured since it's getting colder and I can have the wagon in the garage, I'd start in with the stuff I have planned. First up was painting the plastic grille pieces. I started with the main one since it's the most challenging, and to make sure I have enough paint at least for that one. I had a 1/4 can of semi gloss black left over from painting a nightstand.

The plastic was a mottled light gray color. Paint improved it a lot. I did two coats but 3 is probably ideal. I'm not a perfectionist and it came out good enough for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
Night & Day. Looks pretty solid to me. What else do you have planned (aside from painting more grill pieces)?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Night & Day. Looks pretty solid to me. What else do you have planned (aside from painting more grill pieces)?
For cosmetic stuff, for now I'm planning on painting the calipers red, and possibly getting new rims in the spring. Mostly I have mechanical work I have to do: new rear rotors and pads, new coils and plugs, and an O2 sensor.

·
Registered
110 Posts
For cosmetic stuff, for now I'm planning on painting the calipers red, and possibly getting new rims in the spring. Mostly I have mechanical work I have to do: new rear rotors and pads, new coils and plugs, and an O2 sensor.
Sounds like you’ll be busy. I only just bought mine in September and rear rotors and pads were required to pass safety so that’s something I don’t need to worry about. I’m torn between painting my calipers red or yellow but that’s pretty far down my list behind; pre-cats, cats and O2 sensors on the mechanical side which will be tackled in the next week or two once all the parts arrive.

On the cosmetic side I’ve got a boat load; I’m picking up a free front sport bumper cover & OEM lip spoiler and a pair of side skirts that will need the full bodywork and paint treatment over the winter (they’re currently white & my wagon is black). I also have a set of rims staring at me waiting for me to start the refinishing process so they’ll be ready for spring (they’ll be painted Dupli•Color Graphite).

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like you’ll be busy. I only just bought mine in September and rear rotors and pads were required to pass safety so that’s something I don’t need to worry about. I’m torn between painting my calipers red or yellow but that’s pretty far down my list behind; pre-cats, cats and O2 sensors on the mechanical side which will be tackled in the next week or two once all the parts arrive.

On the cosmetic side I’ve got a boat load; I’m picking up a free front sport bumper cover & OEM lip spoiler and a pair of side skirts that will need the full bodywork and paint treatment over the winter (they’re currently white & my wagon is black). I also have a set of rims staring at me waiting for me to start the refinishing process so they’ll be ready for spring (they’ll be painted Dupli•Color Graphite).
Sounds like it's going to turn out awesome! I also have to refinish the headlights, fix two rust spots, rustproof the undercarriage best I can, and touch up some dings. Fairly easy stuff but time-consuming. I personally don't like yellow anything on cars, but any splash of color on the fairly reserved dark gray wagon will sport it up a bit.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finally! I got my rear rotors and pads on tonight. I've never done anything as complex as brakes before (i know brakes are somewhat basic, but keep in mind a year ago and had never so much as changed my own oil) so it took several evenings. The biggest pain was getting out the one rotor retaining screw on the passenger side. Pb blaster and an impact wrench wouldn't budge it. I had to drill it out and broke 2 drill bits doing so.

Anyhow, I drove and broke them in and they feel fine to me, like they grab appropriately. No audible screeching it scraping, so that's good.

I bought R1 Concepts' "E-line" plain pads and rotors. I think they were like a $70 package on Amazon. Seeing how rear brake jobs are $330ish at a shop, I'm more than pleased.

Attachments

·
Registered
605 Posts
Congrats on the diy, definitely looks like it was due. I can’t believe you had the retaining bolts still in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Congrats on the diy, definitely looks like it was due. I can’t believe you had the retaining bolts still in there.
Yeah, they were metal on metal, even though I didn't notice any screeching or hitching. I'm kind of clueless with brakes, haha. They feel fine to me now so I should be getting that inspection sticker no problem.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I should be getting that inspection sticker no problem.

That is literally the ONLY positive to living in Ohio NO SAFETY INSPECTIONS. We do have a thing called E-Check in some counties but luckily Stark county is not of one of those lol
If you ask me it’s still a joke because they check for a cel, and visually check catalytic converters and that’s it.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is literally the ONLY positive to living in Ohio NO SAFETY INSPECTIONS. We do have a thing called E-Check in some counties but luckily Stark county is not of one of those lol
If you ask me it’s still a joke because they check for a cel, and visually check catalytic converters and that’s it.
I have mixed feelings about inspections. There would be some people who will drive legitimate safety hazards. An inspection every year is too much though. I think they should be done every OTHER year and only when the vehicle is more than 5 years old or so.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tonight was headlight "restoration." I saw a few places online where people were using toothpaste and a toothbrush with acceptable results. I think wet sanding is a lot of hard work, so I just went over the headlight with toothpaste and a brush, then followed that up with rubbing compound. Since I'm going to tint the lights with light smoke vinyl, I didn't care about perfection and I also didn't spray a UV clear coat. You can definitely tell there's more clarity and also more of a neutral instead of yellowish tone. Works for me!

Attachments

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks good. I did my Mazda P5 lenses with fine car polish a rag and a makita 1/4 sheet sander. It worked pretty darn well.
Thanks! As the old saying goes, there's more than one way to skin a headlight! Or something...

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Last week I "smoked" my headlights so I wouldn't have to clearcoat them after restoration. I'm assuming the tint vinyl will act as the UV protectant. It went on OK although I can't say it's a fun job. There are a bunch of small bubbles but you can only see them close up and they should go away in the summer sun (which is a long, LONG way off).

This pic is from this morning before I took it get the annual safety inspection. It passed--woo hoo!

Attachments

·
Registered
605 Posts
Last week I "smoked" my headlights so I wouldn't have to clearcoat them after restoration. I'm assuming the tint vinyl will act as the UV protectant. It went on OK although I can't say it's a fun job. There are a bunch of small bubbles but you can only see them close up and they should go away in the summer sun (which is a long, LONG way off).

This pic is from this morning before I took it get the annual safety inspection. It passed--woo hoo!

Those look really good, I like that they’re darker but not completely black.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Those look really good, I like that they’re darker but not completely black.
Thanks, I got the lightest "black" I could because any darker might be a visibility issue and I didn't want to keep them from passing inspection (or reduce my visibility at night when driving my kids around). I like them. Makes the 6 look a little more stealthy or something.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm painting my rims and calipers 2 at a time, but divided by driver and passenger sides, since I have directional wheels that I wanted to rotate. I used Rust-Oleum matte black wheel spray paint and Por 15 brush-on red caliper paint. On this first rim I went without primer to see if I could get away with it. I felt like I had to use more paint than I would have with primer, so the rest will be primered. It'll be interesting to see how they compare over time.

Anyways, I think I'm liking it. The wheel finish is more of what I'd consider a satin than a matte, which is actually what I was hoping for. I haven't clear coated because I don't believe Rust-Oleum makes a matte wheel clearcoat. Plus, damage can be easily repainted in the future with just the paint.

Attachments

·
Registered
605 Posts
@MazdaMetalhead that looks good the red calipers with the black wheels is a really good combination. You have me reconsidering my choice of blue brake parts lol. Could I ask how much the por 15 caliper paint cost, just looking for a comparison to the duplicolor kit at autozone

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
@MazdaMetalhead that looks good the red calipers with the black wheels is a really good combination. You have me reconsidering my choice of blue brake parts lol. Could I ask how much the por 15 caliper paint cost, just looking for a comparison to the duplicolor kit at autozone.
It's under $14 at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/POR-15-42806-Red-Caliper-Paint/dp/B00IK21RFW

I just used a couple of my kids' paint brushes to apply it. Anything I do you know it's going to be cheap, haha

·
Registered
605 Posts
. Anything I do you know it's going to be cheap, haha

I completely understand lol same here when I painted mine blue I just bought the $7 vht spray can caliper paint I’ve redone them twice (with the same single can) and they’re already chipping and peeling again, thanks for the link

1 - 20 of 52 Posts