Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 222 Posts

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Being proactive here to prevent the results and technical discussion thread (http://forum.mazda6club.com/2-5l-i-4/342618-orange-virus-tuned-3rd-gen-mazda6-2-5g-skayctiv-results-technical-discussion.html) from being hi-jacked by those getting tuned:

I've created this thread specifically for those who are attempting to get their car tuned and have questions or are running into issues trying to do certain things with Mazdaedit, their Tatrix port, and Orange Virus Tuning (OVT) including datalogging, flashing and any other tricks.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Awesome! Just ordered my Tactrix. I'll be starting the process next week. Can't wait!

So far, my wants are pretty similar to yours, Solar. More power over 3k but maintaining gas mileage. Before I found out about this tune, I was going to buy a second car (an NB miata) just to get something with a bit more pep. However, I've abandoned that idea and I'm going full speed with the tune and some chassis stiffening.

My thanks goes out to OVT and Solar for all the work and help!

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
One technical note on the process thus far.

I got my Tactrix yesterday and after getting it registered to the Epifan software the first thing I did was to dump my stock ROM and send it off to be processed and sent back (this allows you to reload it any time you need to, for example.) I then went out and ran a few data logs.

Be aware that the act of dumping the ROM -- not just writing it -- resets the ECU! What this means is that the long-term trims and such are lost, exactly as if you pulled the battery. I drove only to the place where I can do some WOT pulls, and noted that the car "felt" slow, and not a little bit either. Examining the logs on virtual dyno confirmed -- it WAS slow, and a quick perusal of the data showed why, as all the trim data and optimization that the ECU usually does over a bit of time was gone.

Later last evening I'd driven about 30-40 miles and the vehicle's subjective response was back to normal. I didn't have time last night to pull a new set of logs, but will before I flash the base file as I want a decent stock ROM baseline -- and while I have my Torque logs I ran the other day they're nowhere near as detailed as the bluetooth interface is a lot slower (even my "good" one; an OBDLinkMX) than the Tactrix cable interface.

Point being when you start this process if you want baseline WOT pull logs (and you probably do) for comparison purposes make sure you give the car some time to re-learn after pulling the base ROM dump before you go do those pulls, or you're going to get numbers that are SIGNIFICANTLY down from where they should be. In addition while OVT notes that you need to drive the car for 20 or so miles before logging to send back to him after flashing a new ROM file I'll underline this -- the ECU's adaptive process is VERY material to performance so don't ignore that instruction!

·
Registered
488 Posts
I'm a tiny bit confused. So pulling the ROM isn't like copying it on to Mazdaedit? Its like cutting it out and letting the ecu relearn basic settings?

·
Registered
282 Posts
I'm a tiny bit confused. So pulling the ROM isn't like copying it on to Mazdaedit? Its like cutting it out and letting the ecu relearn basic settings?
It is copying it. there are types of data in the ECU. ROM and RAM.

ROM = hard data, pull the battery, it's still there.
RAM = soft data, pull the battery, it's gone.

the RAM portion is for the ECU "learning." basically the ecu is given the same ROM data for thousands of cars, but not all cars respond the exact same, considering locations, climates etc. the ECU has set instructions, or "rules" that have to be followed. if the ECU does not get exactly what these rules request (example 14.7 AFR) then it has equations to "clean" the ROM data to get what the ECU requests.

All these equations / adjustments are saved in the RAM section. When you read the ECU it clears this RAM portion out. Then the ECU has to "relearn" those equations / percetanges / etc.

·
Registered
488 Posts
That makes a lot more sense now. So its just like a computer: pull the plug and the RAM wipes.

Thanks for clearing that up for me!

·
Registered
582 Posts
As much as I REALLY want to do this, there's a part of me that is hesitant because there's always that slight chance I go and F my car up.

I checked out my ECU today when I installed the SRI & it's definitely supported.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I'm really not sure how you can screw up your car since you are not adjusting the tune tables yourself.

For example I was doing something wrong in the order of making connections and ended up having the flash/upload of the tune crap out partway through the upload process 3-4 times in a row, so I just took my other car to work. When I came home my battery was stone cold dead because I'd left a power converter on attached to my ancient laptop and the ECU was blank from the unsuccessful attempts to flash, so the car could not be started. That sounds pretty FUBAR, but it wasn't really a bad problem.

After discussing flashing with OVT and making connections more patiently, methodically and exactly in the order given in OVTs instructions I was able to properly flash the ECU with a tune on the first try after getting enough juice into my battery from jumper cables to my other car, then jumped the car to start and then drove around normally and get the battery recharged.

So, that's my horror story, but I think it actually shows its pretty difficult to do any harm to the car, even when making as many screw-ups as I did.

·
Registered
38 Posts
So I am running into a problem while collecting logs.... I cant see the files it is reportedly writing to. I went and collected logs, saw the green bar, everything was done according to instructions, but no sign of the (.csv) anywhere.

Frustrated, I went back and hooked it up again just to try and get any log saved. I changed the file path it writes to just in case, started recording, gave a little gas, stopped recording, even clicked on "save full session log" which isn't in the instructions, it gave me a dialog box stating that the file had been saved (it gave me the exact file path and name). I even was able to click on "open last log file" and it popped up with a graph showing my throttle position change when I was testing the logging. it got that data from somewhere, but when I go to find the file - nothing. There isn't a single (.csv) on this Laptop - anywhere.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Make sure you "Connect to ECU" instead of demo mode. When you are datalogging you should see numbers dancing around for all of the parameters.

I actually got CSV files in Windows Vista when I tried to datalog in demo mode, but they were 100% empty and couldn't be opened.

Since you see the results, what I would do is go to the folder it is supposed to be in, check the properties and make sure it is set to "show all file types."

Other than that I'm stumped assumping you followed the OVT directions on setting up the log file save location. And you only have to do that once. Next time you come into mazdaedit it will save logs to the same location.

·
Registered
282 Posts
So I am running into a problem while collecting logs.... I cant see the files it is reportedly writing to. I went and collected logs, saw the green bar, everything was done according to instructions, but no sign of the (.csv) anywhere.

Frustrated, I went back and hooked it up again just to try and get any log saved. I changed the file path it writes to just in case, started recording, gave a little gas, stopped recording, even clicked on "save full session log" which isn't in the instructions, it gave me a dialog box stating that the file had been saved (it gave me the exact file path and name). I even was able to click on "open last log file" and it popped up with a graph showing my throttle position change when I was testing the logging. it got that data from somewhere, but when I go to find the file - nothing. There isn't a single (.csv) on this Laptop - anywhere.

Any ideas?

Did you change the file path through "choose logging directory" ? Select it as desktop and check

·
Registered
38 Posts
You know, I did find it curious that the only parameters with its fields populated was the throttle position (during logging). It was active, and responsive, but the only one sending data.

I am going to go through it slowly again.

EDIT;

The only thing I needed to go through more slowly was my hard drive. It seemed to have nested the files 10 folders deep (App data, virtual store etc..). The version of windows 8 on this thing is annoying as hell. Saving to the desktop would have probably prevented that.

Thank you for the quick responses.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Re: instructions....."Then, you setup the logger. Simply check mark the options I have set out in the instructions, connect to the ECU, start recording and go log."
There are only 2 choices as examples which are 1st and 2nd gen 6's in terms of marking certain options. Do 3rd gen's click on same options as 2nd gen as shown in example?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Yes, these cars are 3rd gen but use 2nd gen ECUs, please select second gen.

Also for logging select Mazda 2nd GEN CAN Logger, this will datalog the fastest and the have all PID access (logging options)

·
Registered
563 Posts
"Quote: Originally Posted by shazy View Post
What? If I understand correctly you are speaking about in MazdaEdit right? IT is only not there under DEMO, not when actually connecting to the ECU.
Everything is there when you are not in DEMO mode. I thought the samething at first too lol."

@OrangeVirus Tuning, is this the case? There were two items in demo mode which were not available according to instructions but instructions said "if not an option just skip it". Should we go back once connected to ECU to select the other two options which were not present in demo mode? I just did first log so want to make sure for the remainder of logs.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Once you get the BASE file from Orange Virus you will find the Epifan software wants an updated file in order to load it. And once you load that file those missing PIDs will magically appear...

·
Registered
563 Posts
Once you get the BASE file from Orange Virus you will find the Epifan software wants an updated file in order to load it. And once you load that file those missing PIDs will magically appear...

Is your BASE reference re: the first flash received from OVT after the stock dump is sent to him? Or do you mean the first file received from him after the first datalog? I've not received an update request from Epifan software but have only flashed once and datalogged once.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
When I downloaded the software from Epifan once it was registered I was able to take the ROM dump and send it off.

However, when I got the first file back from OV it refused to load and said it didn't have a map for it, requesting that I email Epifan. I did, and he almost-immediately replied with one file that needed to be dumped into the program directory for MazdaEdit. Once I did that the flash was able to proceed and the missing PIDs were visible.

·
Registered
563 Posts
When I downloaded the software from Epifan once it was registered I was able to take the ROM dump and send it off.

However, when I got the first file back from OV it refused to load and said it didn't have a map for it, requesting that I email Epifan. I did, and he almost-immediately replied with one file that needed to be dumped into the program directory for MazdaEdit. Once I did that the flash was able to proceed and the missing PIDs were visible.
same happened to me, OVT found a MEL patch that needed to be applied and it worked fine BUT I don't have "fuel pump duty%" or "oil temp" as options to select. The next time I log I will check and see if those options appear once I'm out of demo mode and connected to the ECU. @OrangeVirus Tuning is probably swamped in datalogs right about now but maybe he has something to add re: whether these two options are of any importance vs not needed.

·
Registered
282 Posts
same happened to me, OVT found a MEL patch that needed to be applied and it worked fine BUT I don't have "fuel pump duty%" or "oil temp" as options to select. The next time I log I will check and see if those options appear once I'm out of demo mode and connected to the ECU. @OrangeVirus Tuning is probably swamped in datalogs right about now but maybe he has something to add re: whether these two options are of any importance vs not needed.
They aren't required, and it's no problem tuning without them. I just like to keep watch on them for that 0.0001% chance the fuel pump hits max duty, or oil temp gets too hot. (has never happened yet)

1 - 20 of 222 Posts