Mazda 6 Forums banner

241 - 260 of 264 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
that sounds great.. Good luck with the tuning! i'm sure we will all be anxiously awaiting results.[/b]
This is great news! The output should be considerably more considering we will now be able to take advantage of advanced timing and higher octane. I'm guessing about another 15HP avg over just the MAFci for the V6 with peak around 20HP. Anxiously waiting for the test results.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
This is great news! The output should be considerably more considering we will now be able to take advantage of advanced timing and higher octane. I'm guessing about another 15HP avg over just the MAFci for the V6 with peak around 20HP. Anxiously waiting for the test results.[/b]
another 15 over the Mafci, which already increase by like 16? i dunno, seems a little ambitious...

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #244
I've managed to get 3-4 degrees of timing advance out of most of the powerband with no knock, and that's just comfortable street tuning in my spare time.

The dyno will tell the whole story. That reminds me; I need to grab my stock airbox while I'm at home this weekend. I want to do a baseline pull for comparison.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've managed to get 3-4 degrees of timing advance out of most of the powerband with no knock, and that's just comfortable street tuning in my spare time.

The dyno will tell the whole story. That reminds me; I need to grab my stock airbox while I'm at home this weekend. I want to do a baseline pull for comparison.[/b]
It will be interesting to see the difference in HP and torque with different octane ratings and timing advancement. Looking forward to your updates.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Dyno!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #248
We are confirmed for next Saturday. The deposits are in and we're scheduled.

Hopefully Jordan will get to come along and observe as well.

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Yep, looking forward to the dyno next Saturday. Should be lots of fun! Still waiting to hear back from Jordan. I was telling my father about it and he sounded interested and he and my grandfather might be swinging by to observe (I get to see them once every few months). They are both car guys. My father used to work on C-130s in the Air Force and as a hobby (and part time profession) worked on motorcycles and cars. My father used to buy motorcycles at auctions and we would strip them down to the frame, rebuild the engine, shocks, etc. I can still remember the smell of the engine parts covered in a crinkle coat engine paint baking in the kitchen oven. Those were the days.My grandfather loves fast cars and used to tinker on his own hotrods as a teen. His last hotrod he used to own was built by a shop, '34 or '37 Plymouth coupe with an LS1 Corvette engine (orange, shaved handles with door poppers, the works). He ended up getting rid of that for a more practical car. :p If the weather is nice and they do come, they'll probably be coming in my grandfather's Chrysler 300C SRT8. Can't wait to see what the day produces. :)
:seeya:
Paul

Next Saturday the 26th?[/b]
Yes, January 26th. We'll have the dyno from 1pm to 5pm if we end up using all 4 hours that are scheduled.

Paul

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Yep our results are in the dyno section, located here: Dyno results

Jordan, 'Bury Sixer, and myself went to dyno to get some tunes and results up. It was a lot of fun and we definitely learned some interesting things while doing this. I'd love to do this again soon. I won't go into too much detail so as to not repeat myself of what's already mentioned in the other post. But I will say that the tunes are still pretty conservative, I also believe very little to no tuning was done for anything below 3500RPMs (which I would like to do if possible). We didn't get to fiddle as much with timing as I hoped, Sean (the tuner and shop owner) added a little bit of timing around the upper mid to top end but was very little (around 2-3.5 degrees tops).

'Bury Sixer and I did reserve the dyno for 4 hours, 2 hours each for dyno and tuning, but out of the 4 hours realistically got maybe an hour each. If we both got a full two hours I think the results would be better as well. But for an hour each and some minor tuning, I am happy with the results (mainly that the gain, albeit minor, was across the whole powerband and a huge jump in an abnormal dip in power shortly after 3500RPMs).

My results probably aren't as accurate for top end power as it should be due to a bit of a glitch we hit with the standback. For some reason it lost sync with the timing sensor shortly above 6,000 RPMs causing a false "rev limiter" to kick in and shorting my dyno graph by 500-600RPMs worth of powerband left. Due to this, instead of hitting the limiter at 6700RPMs it was hitting unpredictably between 6100 and 6300 RPMs. I think that my peak HP would have probably been a little higher if it wasn't for this.

'Bury Sixer did not run into this issue and ever since my complete install earlier this month I've never run into this until Saturday on the dyno. We ran some datalogs and know what's happening and hopefully I'll be back at the shop sometime this week or weekend to do more testing and fix this issue. A deeper explanation is available in the other topic posted earlier.

As more develops, I'll keep you guys posted.
:seeya:
Paul

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I mentioned it to Jordan and he said he will find out as soon as he can for me from Josh (head honcho, makes price decisions). With exception to Lou and Jordan, noone else was in the shop over the weekend to get an answer because this past weekend was the Washington Auto Show so they were attending that. I've got to go back again either later this week or this weekend so I'll be in touch with Jordan all week and I'll continue to pester him. ;)

Paul

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Bump from the dead. This thread seems to have died. Is Maf-ci Gen 2 (aka Standback) still a go? Is there an 03-05 version?
I see nothing on CP-E's website for the 6s or 6i for any year. I do see them for the cx-7,bmw 335i, mazdaspeed3, and mazdaspeed6 though...[/b]
you have to order it directly from cp-e. i don't think they did testing on the 03-05s yet.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
No testing on the '03-'05 yet, they still need to schedule in a test car to do that. However, it has been tested and is working on the '06-'07. I've had mine in since January and it's running great with my CP-E CAI and Bored/Optimized TB. My A/F tune is only slightly different than the MAFci tune (more fuel needed to be added down low) and so far only 2.5-3.5 degrees have been added in the mid-top RPM range when under full throttle.

They are still trying to setup a price for the Standback with intake. I spoke with Josh on Monday and he asked me to check back in a week to see if he's had a chance to come up with a pricing structure.

Paul

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Could you check with them, now that they have the standback, will they lower prices for the tunable mafci for those just wanting something basic, and will they also allow original mafci non-tunables to upgrade to this lower priced tunable mafci at a discount? Yes, sorry, i'm poor :( I left an email for Paula but she hasn't returned my email, maybe she's not in sales.

241 - 260 of 264 Posts