Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dealer by me didnt have any M6 with Leather. I was wondering if any of you have the leather package? My question is....Is the leather hard or soft? Thanks! I'm looking forward on buying my M6 in 90days ugh! Backorder!!!! ugh!

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Reading Topic: MAZDA6s Leather

i was a strong opponent of leather...
then i sat in the seats....really comfortable...very supportive...as a driver you don't slip and slide around. Heated seats are a godsend. I am not definitely a fan of the leather. It's just comfortable....a good balance of hard and soft....cushiony, yet supportive. Very nice!

-Yasir

·
Registered
543 Posts

I've never had leather seats in anything....

Doesn't it still get super-hot in the summer? Super-cold in the winter? Like vinyl? What about legs sweating on it in the summertime, like they do on vinyl? Yech.

Like I said, I've never had leather seats, but I've always wondered this when I hear people dreaming about them, etc.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts

haven't experienced the summer yet...not really looking forward to it, but we'll see....as far as super cold is concerned...hasn't effected me too much...the heated seats kick in after about 30 seconds to a minute, so you get good and toasty.

-yasir

·
Registered
322 Posts

the black leather seats are super hot in summer, but so long as you put on the climate control it cools down nice and quick and you don't have sweaty legs... you can get sweaty legs if you drive about without the air conditioning tho

they're pretty firm, but you really should sit in them to decide.. I heard some people complaining that they couldn't get comfortable in them and were getting them removed and replaced with aftermarket leather seats... I'd prefer if they were a bit softer... hmm can anyone say lazyboy? ... but all in all they're fine

·
Registered
78 Posts

they are not as soft as a caddy but not as firm as an integra leather seat..very comfortable....if you get black leather limo tint every window in your car!!!!atleast here in vegas if you dont you'll end up with blisters on your a$$...as for the cold heated leather is great warms up in just minute..

·
Registered
166 Posts

I didnt want leather in mine either until i took it for a test drive. I love it, I never had leather before but i plan on having it in about a week and a half. Just be sure you know how to take care of it, if you dont it will start cracking and then be a real pain in the butt!!

·
Registered
1,330 Posts

the meguiar leather wipes are the way to go...just apply every 6 months or so.

-yasir

·
Registered
2,301 Posts

Some of the best stuff for leather is by Lexol, they have a conditioner and a cleaner, use the conditioner once a month and the cleaner sparingly inbetween that, and always condition after you use the cleaner because it is a really strong cleaner and will stip conditioning off of it, there are also wipes that are really good as a quick clean thing while you are in the car.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts

and to answer the question about heat... wow, it gets hot, even in 80 degree weather... get a sunvisor, they make them custom for the Mazda6 and they fit great. I forgot to put it on once and had to stand outside until the AC cooled them off a lil. Not to mention the visor helps to protect you dash also.

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts

Best thing I have found is to get the windows tinted. It amy not keep the car cooler temperature wise, but keeps the sun off the leather so it doesn't get hot. Also will protect your dash from harmful UV rays that could crack it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Replying to Topic 'MAZDA6s Leather'

i want to get mine tinted, but the tinting in pa is 70 for front, 70 for back, and 8 for rear. it maybe it is 80. 8 doesn't make sense. anyways, it seems kind of pointless to spend all that money for that little of a tint

·
Registered
2,301 Posts

yeah tinting laws in PA suck, but i have seen many many many people with illegal tint... they arent as picky about it as they are in other areas... as for the tint thing, i would definitely go with tint... the visor just protects the front seats, anyone in the back would get hot a$$. But the visor does a better job protecting the dash, since you cant tint your front windows, only the strip along top, and that doesnt protect your dash when the sun is overhead, considering most of the beating down sun comes from the windshield

·
Registered
3,392 Posts

I think the leather is pretty supportive. Would almost like more back lateral support. As in, absolutely no side to side movement of the back, and I'm chubby, so I have a big back, yet there's still movement. I also sometime slip forward for some reason.

Its hasn't been over 75 yet, so I can't comment on the heat. I might end up getting pissed though when I leave my car in a parking lot on a hot day. Luckily with the alarm and immobilizer, I can keep my windows down.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts

I've only owned one car in my life (soon to be 2!) and it had leather seats (green Accord EX, beige leather). I would never go back! Seriously, I notice the millisecond I open the door to cars with cloth seats. I don't like the lint, even though I don't think that is a huge deal... but it's the feel.

I can't comfortably get into a car with cloth seats when I initially sit down. I feel off center and have to kinda hop my bum around to adjust. I say hop because you can't really shift on cloth. That's not to say you have tremendous sliding effects with leather though... If the seats are made well, they will hug you like a naked bear (as opposed to fuzzy bears or cloth seats).

Leather also feels luxurious - although it's a combination of the car and the quality of the seats. Lay-Z-Boy quality seats in a Pinto won't make you feel very luxurious... albeit probably very comfortable. It may seem snotty to say but leather seats are such a luxury option - almost the "whipped cream on top" for the car. It sets it apart and puts it top of the line. There's nothing like looking into a car and seeing leather trim. To me, it's dissapointing to look into a great car and see... cloth :(.

Put 2 identical cars next to each other - identical in every way except that one has cloth seats and the other leather - and I'd be willing to bet the overwhelming majority would consider the leather seated car "better". It's like the leather is a sign that the car is top quality.

Please don't think I'm pissing on any of you with cloth seats. Preference is preference but that's my two cents.

BTW, I didn't have the heat problem too bad with my beige leather most likely because it was a lighter color (no tint, either). I am a little scared of the black leather in the 6 but more than willing to accept it either way. I mean, it gets hot but unless you're making a lot of bare skin to leather contact, you should be ok. I care for my leather with Turtle Wax leather conditioner. Smells clean - like aloe and really puts a nice shine in. Makes it feel soft, too...

Alright, proceed with the naked bear hug jokes and the comments about driving around commando... :)

·
Registered
45 Posts

I was dead set agaiunst leather too, until the test drive. First I drove a 6 without leather and really didn't like the cloth (ribbed?) seats. (Do the soften up eventually?) Then I drove one with the leather, and it is awesome. Do a test drive comparison for yourself of both kinds. The leather sure is nice......Kyle

·
Registered
383 Posts
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'MAZDA6s Leather'

We initially ordered a 6 w/leather (to get the heated seats); but order was cancelled by MazdaUSA for some obscure reason. Dealer found similar car w/o leather, but was willing to add the leather and heated seats.

Thinking the wife only cared about having bun warmers, I opted to get the heaters installed in the existing cloth seats (she was out of town when the decision had to be made). Found out she really wanted the leather too. Doh!

Talked to the upholsterer the dealer uses and asked him about perf vs. non-perf. He said he could do either one - the perf is really only for looks and will not last as long as the solid leather. Oh really, says I? Think perferorated paper, says he. Ahhh, guess we'll get solid, since wife usually keeps cars for a long time.

·
Registered
383 Posts

Originally posted by RRRyan

how much did the upholsterer quote you for the job?[/b]
He was supposed to call the dealer to see if he could give me the dealers price, but hasn't called back yet. He said $1200 was his normal price.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts