Mazda 6 Forums banner

8481 - 8500 of 8513 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thread Revived from the dead....

My rant..
I gave my older nephew my 05 6 Gt when I bought my 16 6 Gt. He put it under his name, but it has a cel so the car's having issues getting smogged. So right now the car has no current registration and no insurance.

I go to drop off my daughter at school today and see this in the school lot... My 05:

My nephew is up north in school and had the car sitting in the driveway. So my sister in law is allowing my younger nephew to drive the car around... NO insurance... NO registration.. And he just got his license last Wed... It took him 5x to pass the written /driving tests so we know he's a really good driver...

Just pissed at my sister in law...

Rant over

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
I got busted in my mazda for no insurance and no registration in california as well..... Long story short the registration will be a fix it ticket you will pay ~$50 after fees and stuff and the insurance ticket was originally ~$900 after fees and stuff but the judge took it down to $500.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Well after going off on her... Now she's pissed at me. I dont care, I love her and her children and want nothing but the best for them. She understands this, but still pissed I called her out.

After my "discussion" with her, she took the car to a mechanic after work. The car doesn't have any current cel's (I had just replaced the rear manifold before giving it to them, I think the code finally cleared) they just have to get the Smog done now and get him insured. At least things are getting taken care of and not being stupid.

@bobmugen... Sorry but driving around without ins and reg is just plain stupid.

My nephews 16, driving a V6, not a good driver and has almost zero driving experience. He's going to get in an accident... Mom's going to be screwed.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I drive unregistered from time to time, it is a simple ticket here. But no insurance is full retard. $5K fine in Ontario. It takes 15 minutes to get a car insured and proof of insurance emailed to you and if you have a current policy it doesn't even cost money up front.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Found out that I might inherit a car. Taking a drive up north to look at it. Nothing special, a 2000 Saturn LS2 that needs tires and a tune-up. Be lucky to fetch $2K on private market for it, but it looks clean enough. Plus, California DMV will waive their usual BS since it's an inheritance from an immediate family member. Thinking it might work as a commute car so I can save my 6 some wear and tear. Put PL-PD on the Saturn, lower my annual mileage down to 8000/yr on the Mazda and I should hopefully save some bank.

21mos and I'm turning 40K on the odometer on the Mazda, I need to slow down!

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I know it's kind of a turd but, hey, it's free and if it runs it'll save wear and tear on the real ride. Trust me, would not even make my short list if I was actually car shopping. I owned a few SLs that I enjoyed, but the LS was the beginning of the end for Saturn.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I owned all three generations of the SL. First one was a '96 SL I bought new and, granted, the SOHC 1.9L was a turd. Second one I owned was a used '93 SL2 that I got about 80K out of before I wore it out (clutch and brakes were min spec plus A/C went out, all about 155K). Third one was a used 2000 SL2 that I had modded pretty well and got about 70K out of before I traded it in for something more snow-worthy. None of them ever let me down and I fared about 38-40MPG on the highway. Granted, all three of them had 5SPD MTs and the autos that GM used on the Saturns were absolute rubbish.

·
Super Moderator
16,816 Posts
I owned all three generations of the SL.
I'm sorry to hear you had to go through such a nightmare.

And 40k after 21 months? You're on the same pace as I was haha. hit 95k this morning and it's been exactly 4 years and 2 weeks. :D

·
Registered
704 Posts

And 40k after 21 months? You're on the same pace as I was haha. hit 95k this morning and it's been exactly 4 years and 2 weeks. :D
Hit 25,000 miles coming home this morning... 8 months...

·
Registered
1,086 Posts

So much love for Saturns here. LOL Honestly, the SLs treated me well. When they shifted production to Delaware and started sharing chassis with Opels, that's when things crashed. I remember my roommate at the time was so impressed by my 2000 SL2 that he went out and, against my suggestions, bought a brand new 2004 Saturn ION. Now THAT was a pile of shit. Ignition issues, transmission issues, the whole works.

And yeah, little more miles than I planned. I drive 300mi/wk just to get to work and back and I also use my car for incidental field work. Plus I've added 2000 unplanned miles in the last month due to a death in the family. Not hard to rack miles when you're a commuter.

·
Super Moderator
16,816 Posts
Sorry to hear about the loss :(

Yeah you guys are in the same boat as I am. I'm doing almost exactly 400 miles a week for work, and it's also our weekend car, the Home Depot run car, food shopping car, vacation car, etc.

From May 2013 - Jan 2014 I was only doing 16 miles per day for work and I have still racked up this many miles. It's sad, but also completely worth it every time I get in that car :)

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
That's the kind of mileage I used to run. Thankfully not wearing out the current car at that pace.

Sent from a Samsung that doesn't explode.

·
Registered
526 Posts
The Saturn SLs were like an S Class Merc compared to the pile of rubbish that i was driving in the 90s - a 1991 Chevy Lumina ! After owning it for 3 years, i was convinced that it was designed by an environmentalist who hated car owners or a man who desperately needed some mental health treatment. If there was ever a single model that marks US car manufacturers hitting a rock bottom, its gotta be the 91 Lumina !

·
Registered
100 Posts
Went to fix a vacuum leak today caused by a broken valve on one of the lines.. When I yanked the old valve off it pulled the line off of the intake manifold. Had a really bad rough idle and had no idea why. Sat in my garage and took apart my entire intake setup just to find that I needed to reattach the other end of the line.. IMG_6199.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
16,816 Posts
Went to fix a vacuum leak today caused by a broken valve on one of the lines.. When I yanked the old valve off it pulled the line off of the intake manifold. Had a really bad rough idle and had no idea why. Sat in my garage and took apart my entire intake setup just to find that I needed to reattach the other end of the line.. View attachment 202297

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Doh!

Reminds me of when I replaced my air filter and forgot to plug the MAF back in before turning the car on - boy did it not like that haha.

8481 - 8500 of 8513 Posts