Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd be curious to know if Mazda ever considered putting a turbocharged rotary into the Mazda6. Yeah I know thet MPS is already in planes for Europe and there are tons of aftermarket turbos on the way for the 6i, but don't you think a rotary in the 6 would be kinda cool?

I'm not even sure if the rotary can have a turbo added. Wasn't there an RX-7 turbo model? Anyhow, since the RX-8 is almost 400 lbs lighter than the 6 and reaches 0-60 in 5.9 seconds, I figure the horsepower would have to be upped in the 6 in order to keep those times or beat it. Then again, the rotary engine is lighter than the V6, so that weight disproportion might be negated if the rotary were plopped in the 6.... food for thought....

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Reading Topic: Mazda6 with Rotary Engine and Turbo

Mazda holds the rotary as an icon for their sportscars.
Therefore, I doubt that they ever considered putting it in the '6 - Seriously, at least.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

The Rotary requires too much hand assembly to be put in a high production car (too costly). Would also require a redesign of the 6 to RWD (got my vote)

The Rensis motor's torque curve doesn't make it suitable for the "average family sedan".

After the fiasco (for Mazda) of the 3rd gen RX-7, Mazda has no desire to return to Turbos. Once bitten, twice shy.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Mazda6 with Rotary Engine and Turbo'

Originally posted by LBJay

After the fiasco (for Mazda) of the 3rd gen RX-7, Mazda has no desire to return to Turbos. Once bitten, twice shy.[/b]
And with the REnesis pumping 250 horses with capable tuning for more, there's no need!

·
Registered
391 Posts

Originally posted by applejax

Originally posted by LBJay

After the fiasco (for Mazda) of the 3rd gen RX-7, Mazda has no desire to return to Turbos. Once bitten, twice shy.[/b]
And with the REnesis pumping 250 horses with capable tuning for more, there's no need![/b][/quote]

Torque is very low though. 3rd gen. rx7 had like 220 ft. lbs. torque.

·
Registered
45 Posts

Applejax, I know you are a moderator and all, but that has to be the ugliest avatar I have ever seen in my life. Maybe you can shed some light on it?:(

·
Registered
8,628 Posts

Mazda used to use the rotary in pretty much everything, until the oil shock. I say damn the mileage and go for it! ;-)

·
Registered
1,112 Posts

I don't like to talk about your avatar man, I don't even like to think about it! ;)

·
Registered
1,180 Posts

Yep, the rotary engine was in the first Familia (known as 1200 here in Europe and as R100 with rot. engine); in the 818 (RX-3); in the 616 (RX-2); in the 929 (RX-4) and the 121 Coupe (RX-5)

·
Registered
8,628 Posts

Originally posted by Phrosted

I don't like to talk about your avatar man, I don't even like to think about it! ;)[/b]
What about my old one? :p

·
Registered
8,628 Posts

Originally posted by crossbow

Timba,

I think he specially means rotary's with turbos.[/b]
Yeah... rotary's are in, turbo's are not.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts