Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The M6 has won the Austrlia's Best Car award for Mid-Size Car over $25,000.

Check it out and here is the

link

·
Registered
355 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Mazda6 Wins Australia's Best Car Award for 2002'

One thing I started to wonder when checking these results. Why is Mazda6 in this category? For me it should belong to the one with Renault Laguna, Peugeot 406 etc. After all it is a upper-medium sized car like these (or Deluxe car under 57.000, or what does the car have to have to be in that category?).

Just wondering... It is strange how cars are sometimes categorized... Mazda6 is a big car after all. Anybody wonders the same?

Anyways, great to see Mazda to win, even if it competed against "smaller" cars.

·
Registered
85 Posts

Originally posted by javah

One thing I started to wonder when checking these results. Why is Mazda6 in this category? For me it should belong to the one with Renault Laguna, Peugeot 406 etc. After all it is a upper-medium sized car like these (or Deluxe car under 57.000, or what does the car have to have to be in that category?).

Just wondering... It is strange how cars are sometimes categorized... Mazda6 is a big car after all. Anybody wonders the same? Anyways, great to see Mazda to win, even if it competed against "smaller" cars.[/b]
You probably need to know that in australia the Mazda6 is still considered a medium sized car. The Toyota Camry tested against it ( and which didn't win ) is actually bigger.

A large car would be a Holden Commodore ( 3.8L V6 or 5.7L V8 ); Ford Falcon ( 4.0 L I6 or 5.4L V8 ); Mitsubishi Magna ( 3.5L ); Toyota Avalon ( 3.0L ) etc. And there are bigger cars than those available too. The Renault and Peugeot tend to be classified as luxury models.

·
Registered
510 Posts

Once again it really comes down to how cars are perceived in different countries......

In Europe cars such as Mazda6 are definitely considered to be "Large"....
As Family cars are normally VW Golfs, Ford Focus, Opel Astra, etc.....

But in Australia it is considered a "Mid-sized" car....

Probably in America it would be called a Mid-sized Compact or something like that......

·
Registered
355 Posts

The Renault and Peugeot tend to be classified as luxury models.[/b]
That's what I was wondering. Since I know very well (owned some of these in the past) cars like Peugeot 405 (pre 406); Citroen C5, Audi A4 and Renault... And I would consider these cars being in the same class with Mazda6 (even the price levels are -at least in Finland - about the same in all these cars, IF you don't count in the 406 coupé designed by Pininfarini in the same bunch). Mazda being a bit cheaper in the list yes...

Oh well, I knew it already that categorizing differs very much from country to country... Just sometimes it would be nice to know where is the logic behind all this (I admit that there was also some other cars in the deluxe list I don't know so well, but there was these four I knew well).

Mazda made the 6 to compete against the German favourite cars like the BMW 3-series, AUDI A4's and OPEL Vectra (Holden in Australia???)... With a great results indeed. :)
This happens to be the most competed set of cars in Europe (with the new Citroen, Peugeot, Ford Mondeo's, Nissan etc... the list goes on); a huge success it seems to be since they had to increase the yearly production of Mazda6 to 898 000 cars per year (from 788 000, which was about 600 000 before that) while starting the production also in USA with more 6's coming soon from there also...

BUT even this won't be enough (people are gonna have longer waits in near future in Europe)... Especially after Mazda starts to win "car of the year" titles in row... The "snow ball effect" has started, it can't be stopped (I would be surprised if Mazda6 wouldn't be THE car of the year, internationally...); but I have been wrong before. :sarc

·
Registered
8 Posts

Originally posted by RodneyJ

I am very happy about this news indeed !!!!

:D :D :D :) :) :)[/b]
So am I !!!

I actually never bought a car before so quickly as this one. On Thursday, August 29 I heard about Mazda6 to be released in Australia in two days. On Saturday I had a test drive. On Monday I bought it with the same day delivery.

Although it is not as powerful as my previous Mitsibishi Magna (Diamante in the US) I like it very much and enjoy driving it every day since.

So Iam glad that it is the best car of the year here.

Here it is

·
Registered
510 Posts

Hi Primus,

Welcome to the Site !!!

It's great to see more fellow Australians posting here !!! :D

Love the Pics of your Red Luxury Sedan !!!!!!
To be honest Magnas are OK, but I am not a Mitsubitshi fan at all...

I have had my Sparkling Silver Luxury Hatch for over a week now.....

Had to do 1000 klm service today....No problems to report !

Hopefully will post some pics within the next week or so....

·
Registered
8 Posts

Originally posted by RodneyJ

Hi Primus,

Welcome to the Site !!!

It's great to see more fellow Australians posting here !!!   :D  

Love the Pics of your Red Luxury Sedan !!!!!!
To be honest Magnas are OK, but I am not a Mitsubitshi fan at all...[/b]
Thanks!

I did not mind Mitsubisi and honestly thought I would buy a new Magna when it's released. But then I so this beauty and fell in love:)

Six years ago I sold Mazda 323 Etude - personally imported from Japan. I had it second hand for 4 years and was not impressed with the quality. After 100K km I had to replace all shockers, CV joints and muffler. Hope it was only because it was neglected by the first owner in Japan, and my new one will be much better

·
Registered
9 Posts

Like a previous post, I shopped till I dropped knowing I had to be in a new car by the 1st of October (lease expiry on my old Magna 3.5L). I had all the brochures Ford, Holden, Toyota and many others.. and being as fussy as I am. Not really at home with any of them..

Then walking through a shopping centre, she caught my eye.. those headlights gleaming at me, whispering to me across the mall... she drew me near for a closer look.. the lines, the finish, the interior all gorgeous.. then I asked about price expecting much higher only to find it was SMACK BANG! in the middle of my budget..

I test drove the same day.. picked my colour (titanium grey) and went to the 3 mazda dealers in town and told them.. this is what i want.. no exceptions!!

mazda6, titanium grey, tinted windows, classic, manual... find me one and give me a finance deal.

The best deal got the order and I took delivery on 26th of Sep.

and absolutely love it...
I change cars every 3 years, and have done for many years.. but it will take something to move this one out of it's spot for a while..

am I suprised about this result??

NO!

:D

·
Registered
837 Posts

Excellent choice ED! And Welcome to our humble forum.

Glad you pick the 6 and already driving it. So think yourself as the few lucky owner on this forum. There are only a few members with their 6, a slew members waiting for their 6 and just about the rest of the world waiting for it to be available to buy. :(

One other thing I am jealous of your car is that you get the titanium grey as an option. That colour is so cool. We NA get this dark grey which is just yucky!

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

Yeah, that Titanium is definitely nice!! And the pic you posted Ed really accentuates it.

Welcome aboard. Any more nice pics???..

:)

Alan

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Hi Ed!

Cool! Great to hear you got your car. It's marvellous!

I also have mine, since a week back. I keep trying to invent new reasons to take the car out all the time.

Urrmm...got to go buy new batteries for the flashlight.

"But you never use the flashlight, dear"

Urrmm...well...hmm...I want some candy too.

"You don't need that. We have that at home."

But...but...I NEED TO DRIVEEEEEE!!!!!

Fake discussion. But I guess plenty people will have it...:D

·
Registered
9 Posts

for those that asked... a few more pics..
also.. The australian model is only available in 2.3L and isnt fitted with the NAV or some other extras that the european model does. In Aust. mine cost $35004 drive away which equates to about $18550US. how does that compare with other countries..??

·
Registered
136 Posts

Another Aussie here....

I have had my Pacific Blue M6 for 11 weeks, and clocked up 6000 klm yesterday.
The car is still as nice and stiff as it was when I first picked it up - no dash rattles as yet.
Fuel consumption is outstanding - I do freeway/tollway driving and am averaging 8.4-8.9l/100klm.
The car is not as quiet as I thought it would be, but then again, I came from a Nissan Maxima 2001, which is the quietest car I have ever owned - couldnt even hear the engine at idle. Road noise is a bit loud, as is the engine, but hey, it has heaps more features than the Maxima.

Mike

·
Registered
510 Posts

Hi Ed,

Welcome to the Site !!

Great Pics too, I own a Luxury Hatch, colour is sparkling silver !!

Titanium Grey is a favourite colour of mine, So is Silver Contrail & Pacific Blue......!!!

I really don't like the Yellow at all, might look OK now, but in the Future yellow will be an out-of-date colour, best to go for colour that will stand the test of time !!!

Sedan definitely has some more rear head-room than Hatch as well, but the sedans rear seats don't fold quite as flat as Hatch And wagons...

Enjoy Your Car !!! :D :D

·
Registered
8 Posts

Originally posted by ed_watson
            for those that asked... a few more pics..
also..[/b]
Great pics, Ed. I would suggest you to fit a chrome exhaust pipes. Do not go to the dealer though. Pick oval pipes for Ford Falcon from Rocca's. They are only $25 each and fit perfectly. The only thing you will have to do is to drill a small hole from the bottom and put a little screw. That is what I have done. This photo only gives you a slight idea how they look. Maybe later I will publish a dedicated pic.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

Hmm Primus I must say that the sedan in red is a real looker. Just missin' that rear wing. Very good looking car.

·
Registered
9 Posts

Please do Primus, just so I can see what type to get..
also been quoted by coopers auto electrician $120 to LEGALLY (and NON INSURANCE AFFECTED) get the inside rear lights connected and cables fully plumbed inside the cable casing. Thats for rear and brake lights - same as extremety ones.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts