Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a comparison between the Mazda6 and the new Accord/Acura as seen in Auto Bild online.

http://www.autobild.de/test/neuwagen/artik...34787fe077bd293

I'm not responsible for the translation. Had it translated via babelfish. I just got rid of the worst mistakes. Don't blame me.

********************************************************************************
The new Accord is said to be a sportsman, Honda says. Now it is here and looks similar to the Mazda6. Do the Japanese already copy themselves now ?

Honda's chief engineer Tsuto Sasaki is completely excited. What will the Germans say to his baby? HIs baby, that is the new Accord, will meet his opponent, the Mazda6, for the first time. No miracle thus that Sasaki is nervous.

After a 50 kilometer comparison drive in the French Alps the Honda man can't wait any longer: "May I drive the Mazda?", he asks. After 10 minutes Sasaki is back and is grinning. Like Japanese do: friendly, but it doesn't mean anything.

Is he grinning from disappointment, because the Mazda is so good? Or because his car is still better? The question marks remain. How much Mazda6 is in the Accord? Is the new one a copy or a falsification of the highly praised 6? Or is the Honda different? More beautifully? Better? One thing is certain after the first meeting: The two do not only look very similar. They are indeed. Like identical twins. Particularly from the front. Both carry a heart shaped air intake with large firm emblem.

"they stole the front design from us", Mazda will say. "no", counters Honda's spokes person Alexander Heintzel. Honda's US models of the luxury brand Acura have been carrying this face for a long time ." However, altogether the Accord shows more love to details. Its grill is set in of a chrome framework. Same applies to the side windows, and also the door handles flash metallically. Greetings from Alfa's 156.

Sharply like a central vertex an edge runs over the hood. New are the outside mirrors. They carry now auxiliary turn signals. All marginal notes. Only at the tail the Honda shows its own style. The Accord is a classic sedan. The Mazda is as well available as a hatchback.

The disadvantage for the Honda is obvious: Instead of a large hatch, only a small cover swings upward. Behind it a fissured reservoir hides itself. That offers place for four suit-cases, but true size looks differently. In addition the high border of the trunk obstructs comfortable loading of luggage or beer boxes.

With the trunk closed the Accord presents its strong backs. Disappeared the angular, boring rear lights of its predecessor. Instead it carries now narrow plastic strips. Although the lines are sharply drawn, the Accord appears to be a bit chubby from the rear view. Clearly more massively anyhow than the roundish Mazda back part.

No doubt: Mazda and Honda are made from the same wood. Both are good four-cylinder front-wheel-driven cars. The Accord positions itself thereby however somewhat more sportily. Already its entrance engine throws out 155 HP (Mazda6 1.8 offers 141 HP, the 2.0 offers 120 HP). The sport version has 2.4 litres, two pretty high-grade steel end-pipes and 190 HP (Mazda6 2.3: 166 HP).

The two-litre four-cylinder has a lot of bite and runs pleasantly calmly. Only starting from 4500/min it begins to be noisy. In the comparison with the Mazda, Honda's challenger is the more active driver's car. That is particularly at the taut chassis, because of the direct steering element and the precise 5-gear MT.

The five-gear automatic (1750 euro) shouldn't be taken into consiceration. The Honda is more fun with the manual. Particularly on curvy roads and uphill. There it wants to be pushed. Despite e-gas the engine hangs willingly on the right pedal. Only with under 3500/min it becomes somewhat tired.

Clearly, the Accord is rather for travelling than for speeding. With the Interieur order prevails. All switches and lever lie handy and are easy to use. In front as in the back, head-room and seat comfort isn't a problem for normally large humans. For giants meanwhile the switching positions of the seats and the steering wheel could have ended up more generously.

Otherwise comfort and the safety equipment are pleasingly complete. Nearly. Because ESP is only available for the 2,4-l-models. All models are coming with two-zone air condition, CD radio with steering wheel operation, power-windows as well as adjustable central arm rest with stowage boxes in the basic model for 22.400 euros. At least here the Accord is better than the Mazda. Perhaps that's ehy Honda's developer Sasaki grinned therefore in such a way.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Mazda6 vs. Accord'

It seems as though the article is focusing on the Honda, and barely mentions the '6. I would have liked to have seen a driving comparison. I can't speak for the '6, but I drove a new Accord. The Accord's interior is second to none. Ergonomic and clever in it's layout, it feels good to touch. Driving the Accord, however, is quite bland. Refined, but bland.

·
Registered
837 Posts

But Applejax, you speaking about the North American version which is design and build here in the good old US of A.

The Accord of which Autobild is written about is the version made for Europe. I think it is either built and ship from Japan or they may have a plant in Europe.

I would suspect they did the same there as they did here. Design and build it for the local market which is selling in.

We know that the NA Accord and the other Accord are totally different in looks. Dynamics will be similar with the exception of handling will be more sportier compared to the NA version.

To all those that drove the NA Mazda 6 already, is it relatively firm and sporty or has it been dampened so much that it feels too much like an NA Accord.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

I'm pretty sure that European Accords are built in Japan.
I liked the bit where they talked about trunk space and mentioned that the Accord's trunk may have trouble with beer cases. Those Germans definitely have their priorities straight. :hoho

As for the comparo - not a lot of detail. It seemed more like a first drive teaser. Obviously the Accord wins the power poll. But ont much is really said about the driving dynamics; perhaps a victim of translation.

·
Premium Member
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Replying to Topic 'M

The European version of the Accord will appear as an Acura on the North American market. As far as I know they all come from Japan. And no, there wasn't mentioned much about driving dynamics or whatsoever. Thus it's not really a mistake of the translation. So it can only be considered as a teaser article. :(

Edit: Yep, we Germans love to load lots of beer cases into our trunk. It's always fully loaded.

Cheers! :cheers

·
Registered
70 Posts

The acura tsx will probably be a great car. Pricing should be a bit more than a 6 but less than the to be redesigned TL for 2004. You could probably get a tsx loaded without nav for under 30 I would suspect. I think the engine will be a worked version of the Euro 2.4l. Offering 220+hp. Or so the rumors go. I have heard rumors of 240hp 2.4l which isint impossible seing the 2.0l in the s2000 has 240hp.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Originally posted by hieppo

But Applejax, you speaking about the North American version which is design and build here in the good old US of A.

The Accord of which Autobild is written about is the version made for Europe.  I think it is either built and ship from Japan or they may have a plant in Europe.[/b]
Yeah, I thought of that after I posted. I let it go to see how long it would take someone to bring it to my attention. :)

That Honda (what will be the Acura over here) is highly anticipated. We'll have to see if it can live up to it's hype.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Originally posted by Me

The acura tsx will probably be a great car. Pricing should be a bit more than a 6 but less than the to be redesigned TL for 2004. You could probably get a tsx loaded without nav for under 30 I would suspect. I think the engine will be a worked version of the Euro 2.4l. Offering 220+hp. Or so the rumors go. I have heard rumors of 240hp 2.4l which isint impossible seing the 2.0l in the s2000 has 240hp.[/b]
1. I would think that the TSX will start around $30. To offer a fully loaded one at $30 would impact Accord sales, as you could sacrifice a few features and get one for the same price as an equipped Accord.

2. hp, hp, hp. Horses, horses, horses. Blah, blah, blah.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

I think it would be entirely possible for the TSX to start well under $30K if the horsepower is kept down to around 200-210hp. Honda may be just aiming at those who would go for an RSX, had it four doors. I mean they're even named like brother and sister (TSX/RSX). A loaded Type-S RSX goes for around $27K. I'm thinking the TSX may be a grand or more than the RSX. We'll have to wait and see.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

Let's keep in mind too that the TSX is the Accord everywhere else, and is therefore priced accordingly (pun intended). I think it will be priced north of $25k with some interior refinements to justify the Acura badge. Frankly I'd rather they bring it over for $22k as is.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

I also like the fact that it is a smaller car. It looks to be around the size of the BMW 3 series.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

Oh definitely larger than that. The 3 series is tiny relative to a true mid-size sedan. The Euro Accord is about the same size as the 6, which is slightly smaller than most of its competitors. The 6 is just about as large as an ES300 or a 5 series.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts