Mazda 6 Forums banner

141 - 155 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
out of the norm? it was lean before 5psi. im not telling you to buy it now. im telling you that these issues would have been apparent a long time ago, if you had actually DRIVEN the car.

which is why as soon as you posted i pretty much asked about you AFRs and stuff. because i knew you would be lean up top.

again, im happy for the project. but i would recommend just removing the SC until you can afford tuning. just my opinion.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
ok, i dont know how a BOV works. lol

EDIT:

i know you can use a BOV control boost on a SC. keep doing what your doing then. im just trying to tell you whats wrong and what you should be doing. in the end its ur car. so do what you will.
Thanks again.

I'm torn.
If I stick with my path of limiting boost to 5 psi I might just as well change the SC pulley to 4 or 5 inches and slow it down a bit. This will reduce the amount of air being pumped in circles when in by-pass; which will reduce heating and reduce noise. Cost - $75.
If I buy a tuner I can stick with what I got and actually turn the boost up to what ever the SC can actually make. Cost - $800-$900 for a tuner and fuel injectors and who knows what else.
Either way I will probably change over some of the 2.75" tubing to thick wall to try to quite it down a bit. The whistle of the air sounds cool, but the Zippy background noise gets annoying.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
haha, whatever you do have fun with it. and im not sure the sound of an SC could get annoying to me, haha.

i know i love the sound of spool and my turbos whistling as they spool, haha

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
out of the norm? it was lean before 5psi. im not telling you to buy it now. im telling you that these issues would have been apparent a long time ago, if you had actually DRIVEN the car.

which is why as soon as you posted i pretty much asked about you AFRs and stuff. because i knew you would be lean up top.

again, im happy for the project. but i would recommend just removing the SC until you can afford tuning. just my opinion.
Watch the video again. I'm at 5-7 psi around 2300 rpms on up. Thats the beauty of the SC, instant boost regardless of rpm. I really wish I had taken some video earlier. I drove for three months and regularly made 5 psi without going past 4700 rpms.

I am going to take your advise and leave it off for now. My reverse trike project is coming together nicely and should be a hell of a ride when complete. I plan on using it for my daily driver next summer, so maybe I'll play with this SC then.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
What would you think of putting my set-up on a 4 cylinder Mazda 6i? It would probably be able to make 11 - 13 psi with tuning?? Would the rest of the stock drivetrain take it?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #146 (Edited)
Tore my BOV/recirculation valve apart last night and found the problem. On this design the top side of the diaphram is exposed/connected to manifold pressure; the bottom side of the diaphram is vented to atmosphere and a valve stem rod passes through a sealing bushing and connects to the actual plunger that opens and closes. It appears the seal around the valve stem failed exposing the bottom side of of the diaphram to the vacuum side of the SC. I can blow air back into the outlet tube and have it come out the vent......not good because that means it was also a large vacuum leak. Since it was also still vented to atmosphere, the resulting lower pressure on the bottom side, shifted the diaphrams operating range higher. In fact it was probably not even opening at idle and that is why I had the rpm bounce when the airflow through the SC stalled momentarily. I bought a "reduced cost" i.e. - cheap ebay one and I guess I got what I paid for. If I want to keep going I will have to buck up and buy a good one from Vortech. See link below to manual.
http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/download.php?dir=pdf/manuals&file=8d20400im.pdf

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
You dont have to buy one from vortech. Theirs is pretty much no different than the one you had. I had an eba bov on my last project and never had any issues running triple the amount of boost you are.

you cant just put iit on a 6i. You would have to start damn near from scratch and get it to mount up. A stock 2.3L should be able to handle 10psi with tuning.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
The amount of boost isn't what killed me, it was the leaking stem seal. This BOV is shot, leaks like a sieve. I'll have to try to fix it or get something else. I have all winter to decide.

As for the 6i, I figured on starting from scratch. The fabrication work is half the fun! I was reading MrTeas turbo thread in the 6i section and just wondered if an SC would be an easier way to go. I haven't read the whole thing, but at least in the beginning it sounds like you would need to do more to the engine internals if you go past 7-8 psi. I'll keep reading. I have a spare M62 laying around looking for a home.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Holy lean shiz batman!

I'd be afraid to even drive the car. I'm not going to dive into this just b/c I know it's been said before. But I know I, like everyone else, would LOVE to see what this thing could do as far as power-wise on the 6. PLEASE get tuning so you can let this thing rip. It's going to suck to see you blow the engine on this car due to running it the way it is before you get a chance to tune it. You've already spent countless amounts of $$$ to get it here...don't cheap out. :p

Best of luck though! I know it's exciting!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here are some more pictures of the installation. Yes, it hangs low, but not stupid low. I may fab a belt cover yet. I thought I may have trouble in the rain with belt slip, but it doesn't seem to be a problem. I do however, plan to remove the the system for the winter because of the snow banks, ice chunks and road salt we have here in Michigan.

I did forget to mention that the relocation of the throttlebody ment the existing wire harness would not reach. I either had to cut and extend the harness or come up with some sort of extension. Luckily I had the complete engine harness and throttlebody from my old engine. I stripped out the necessary wiring and plug from the old harness and cut the plastic plug section out of the cover on the old throttlebody. A little soldier, shrink tube and high temp RTV and I had a sweet 18" extension cord.

Well that's my story to date. My total cost is just under $1000, but I also bought a lot of 3" plumbing and tubing parts I did not use. If I had to duplicate it right now, it would be around $750, depending on what gauges I used and how cheap I could find another used SC. There are new SC's that would fit and make more boost, but my budget was limited to $1000 and I really didn't want to get into tuning. I did the project to show you can still hop-up a "modern" engine without breaking the bank and just for the fun of it. If you would like to take it for a test drive, I'm in west Michigan, come on by. On to my next project...converting a crashed 2001 Suzuki SV650 into a fully inclosed reverse trike to see if I can get 80 mpg. :drive:
Here are some more pictures of the installation. Yes, it hangs low, but not stupid low. I may fab a belt cover yet. I thought I may have trouble in the rain with belt slip, but it doesn't seem to be a problem. I do however, plan to remove the the system for the winter because of the snow banks, ice chunks and road salt we have here in Michigan.

I did forget to mention that the relocation of the throttlebody ment the existing wire harness would not reach. I either had to cut and extend the harness or come up with some sort of extension. Luckily I had the complete engine harness and throttlebody from my old engine. I stripped out the necessary wiring and plug from the old harness and cut the plastic plug section out of the cover on the old throttlebody. A little soldier, shrink tube and high temp RTV and I had a sweet 18" extension cord.

Well that's my story to date. My total cost is just under $1000, but I also bought a lot of 3" plumbing and tubing parts I did not use. If I had to duplicate it right now, it would be around $750, depending on what gauges I used and how cheap I could find another used SC. There are new SC's that would fit and make more boost, but my budget was limited to $1000 and I really didn't want to get into tuning. I did the project to show you can still hop-up a "modern" engine without breaking the bank and just for the fun of it. If you would like to take it for a test drive, I'm in west Michigan, come on by. On to my next project...converting a crashed 2001 Suzuki SV650 into a fully inclosed reverse trike to see if I can get 80 mpg. :drive:

Please make a youtube video!!!!! I’d love to see what the car runs and sounds like!!!

·
Super Moderator
17,447 Posts
You realize you bumped a thread that hasnt had a reply in 6 years? I dooubt hes even around anymore, hasnt logged in for over 8 years...
I feel like this is happening a lot more often lately. I wonder if the site search is bringing up old results more often than it used to, or if Google re-scraped the forum and was ignorant to how old the posts were.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Id bet its something else, all the urls changed with the new software and the whole site is getting indexed over. Id bet money thats the issue. Why they felt the need to mimic iOS for a web forum that had a perfectly working platform is beyond me.

141 - 155 of 155 Posts