Mazda 6 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Mazda6 UOA's'

Hey crossbow, thanks for translating this for me. I am giving more then just the numbers in case the order is different.

engine miles 3185
oil miles 3185
Alum 6
Chrom 3
Iron 39
Copper 52
Lead 2
Tin 2
Moly 176
Nickel 1
Mang 9
Silver 0
Titan 0
Potas 10
Boron 46
Silicon 47
Sodium 6
Calc 2117
Magn 9
Phos 705
Zinc 873
Barium 4
Sus Vis 50.3
Flash 390
Fuel <0.5
Antif 0.0
Water 0.0
Insol 0.3

btw. I don't think that Redline makes a 5w-20. That's what I wanted. Next I will likely try M1.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts

Originally posted by ashutoshsm

Me?

I was in the land where the car in your avatar is still in use :). Just got back.
thought so.

welcome back.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: Reading Topic: Mazda6 UOA's

OK, I just did my first UOA. It is the second fill of Mobil 1 5W-30 using and M1-210 filter.

I think these numbers are every bit as good, if not better than the 0W-20 numbers.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: Reading Topic: Reading Topic: Mazda6 UOA's

Looks good. Post it on bobistheoilguy for expert opinions.

6i or 6s?

(Sorry if you've already mentioned it - I can't seem to find it!)

·
Registered
652 Posts

I added the info to the image. shift-reload if you still can't see it.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #50

I'm posting it to bobs, will have the url here in a bit.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultima...t=001252#000000

Many thanks to EVERYONE who has contributed to this collection of UOA's. This has provided more information on our car model, then any other 1st model car EVER!

Congrats on a job well done!

·
Registered
652 Posts

60% highway / 40% city (or stop and go rush-hour highway)

And, I don't think I am going to bother with 0W-20. I talked to AutoZone and Pep Boys people here, and they aren't planning on stocking it, because they don't think anyone will buy it here in Arizona.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #52

Ya thats about what I had on mine (which had about the exact same wear #'s). If you can't get it, then you can't get it.

Just thought you'd like to try it, since I did a similar switch (5w-30 to 0w-20) and noticed a change in the car's performance.

·
Registered
264 Posts

What exactly did you notice, Crossbow? We'd like to think that the synthetic makes the engine run smoother and produces a little more oomph. Smoother, probably, but is the oomph part just folklore?

I've put some money down on an incoming 6i. Planning to let the dealer fill with stock oil the first two times (maybe 500 and 1500) and then go to synthetic. Is this plan a keeper?

Finally I've learned that it's possible to switch out the cartridge rig on the engine for a spin-on. I travel a lot, and am worried that to get my oil changed away from home I'd have to hunt down a Mazda dealer just to find the right filter. Sounds like a big inconvenience. Is there any downside to doing this that has passed me by?

·
Registered
2,252 Posts

Stock oil the first couple of times isn't a bad idea at all - make sure they use the factory semi-synth Motorcraft. There is some general disagreement on the make-up of that oil, on bob's fora, mainly because of surprising results from the UOA of a new car (scroll back).

A few more 6i stock oil UOAs would be just waht the doc ordered!

·
Registered
264 Posts

I read a report on one of the fora--can't remember which--regarding the refusal of a dealer to convert the MZ6i oil filter cartridge system to a spin-on. This is something I'd really like to get done, but if the dealers are refusing or, worse, threatening to void warranties I'll muddle along with the cartridge.

Anyone else been told by a dealer that they wouldn't touch it or that doing it will affect the warranty?

I hope the report wasn't on this forum. If it is, I expect to be given the "use the search" lecture :) But I tried a search. Honestly...

·
Registered
47 Posts

Mazda 6s Motorcraft 5W20 UOA.

This was from the first change after factory fill. Blackstone misidentified it as 5W30. I've fixed it up top, but the viscosity range is still off.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts

Nice - thanks!

That looks quite good, I'd say, except for the high Silicon, Copper and Iron. I think those numbers had dropped lower with a switch to Synth in the 6s (see earlier UOAs) showing Synth IS better.

<edit> Here's a report from an almost exact situation (oil ran from 1700 through 5000 miles, compared to your approx 1100 through 5000 usage) ... comparing 0W20 Mobil 1 to 5W20 Motorcraft, we see ... (I'm referring to this UOA http://www.wam.umd.edu/~greghess/oilreport.pdf
- Less Aluminium
- Less Chromium
- Less Iron
- Less Copper
- Less Silicon
- Less Lead (NONE!)
- Higher Viscosity
- Higher Flashpoint
- Less Insolubles

Also, considering that at 3840 miles, additives were already getting low (your TBN of the 5W20 Motorcraft), just HOW dumb are all these companies (including Mazda) for suggesting 7500 mile intervals on stock oil?

Did you stick with Motorcraft 5W20 at this oil change, or move on to something else? If you went with motorcraft again, try to synch your next oil change to the 9214 one in the next comparative report for the same car I compared with above http://www.wam.umd.edu/~greghess/2nduoa.pdf(0W20 Mobil 1) and it should be interesting to observe the comparisons!

·
Registered
47 Posts

I stuck with the Motorcraft. I wanted to wait until I got some miles on the car before considering synthetic. Also, I want to see how far I can push the Motorcraft. Most of my driving is not hiway, so that may have something to do with the TBN number. But 5k on $1.77 oil ain't bad either. I'll probably stick with the Motorcraft for the next change, and take it to the dealer at 15k so they can "lube" the car, if that actually entails any work on their part.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts

I edited my post above, and introduced comparisons with 0W20 (it wins, duh) and also recommended you try to sych your next change with that same persons next change (9200-ish miles) for an extended Motorcaft vs. Mobil 1 comparison.

Awesome - we're finally starting to collect meaningful comparisons for the 6s engine now! All we need is for someone to start testing their 6i's regularly! My 2nd UOA results should be in by next week - I went 5100 miles on 0W20 from 6200 through 11300. (0W20 since the first change at 1250-ish).

·
Registered
2,252 Posts

Here it is!

Another good UOA, with noticeable improvements!

And I could 'feel' the oil was getting worse when I changed it out - noticeable improvement in revvin' since. Not to mention EVEN better fuel mileage - which shocks me - considering my driving style!

So ... will the originator of this thread replicate this info wherever needed, and edit original posts, please? Think another discussion at Bob's is due? I DO!

Here's a discussion I started at Bob Is The Oil Guy, for their expert opinions.

Comments? Overall - I'm feeling good about the filter/oil/interval :)

41 - 60 of 169 Posts