Mazda 6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Mazda6 UOA's'

what do you think about Amsoil 5-20 XL7500series?
I realy liked it on my 2002 Ford Focus.

I think Amsoil makes just as good synthetic as it gets.
M1 0-20 looks really impressive based on your UOA's but you are in a cold climate.
Here is Florida it rarely drops to 40F and temps are usally between 60 - 90F year around so I think 5-20 is a better match for my climate than M1 0-20.
What oils are dealers using, Motorcfaft 5-20 - blend?

Any thoughts?

Also I did notice that many of you did switch to Synthetic at 1K miles, I think it may take you 15K miles or more to fully break in you engines on synthetic.
Almost everybody are telling me to fully break in the engine to around 7.5 - 10K miles and than switch to Synthetic.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: Mazda6 UOA's

Climate here varied from 88F-20F during that drain interval, including extreme duty cycles. (I basically raced the car).

It routinely gets to 100F+ in Maryland during the summer...I wouldn't call it cool by any means :).

Amsoil synthetic is very good. If you do use it, please considering doing a UOA on your second change with it. I'm curious as to the results, as I'm sure many others are.

Dealers are using Motorcraft 5w-20 Semi-Synthetic...if their following factory spec. Its already been shown though, that some dealers put in whatever crude oil they have laying around (usually 10w-30) with a poor grade fram filter.

Stock filter (good quality) is a Motorcraft FL-820S (On the V6).

Visit http://www.bobistheoilguy.com on professional opinions on engine breakin.

Many switch to synthetic at their second oil change (which is usually 500-1000 miles on the engine).

If anything, synthetic would allow for a more "gradual" wear in after the inital is done, smoothing the engine out.

But don't listen to me, read for yourself and do some research.

The sooner you switch to synthetic (after making sure the engine/drivetrain is fine..aka manufacturer break-in by most standards) the sooner you get the added protection.

For transaxle fluid changes, its usually around 5k miles to switch.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts

Dark brown through black, but that in itself means almost nothing. Within 1000 miles or so, oil will change color due to oxidation (or something). Darker oil does not necessarily mean more-overworked or less-successful-at-its-job oil!

·
Registered
1,836 Posts

Greg that UOA kicks ass!! I'm changing to Mobile 1 0w-20 when I get back from NY.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

Oil smell and oil color are not indicated of engine wear, or longevity of the oil.

There is only one way to know if your oil is...

1) Lasting the extent of your oil changes.
2) Not filling up with debris.
3) Your oil filter is working.
4) There isn't antifreeze, fuel, or other containments in it.

With a UOA.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com for a free test kit.

Smell and color are akin to waving a wand at the car, and saying its time to change the oil.

·
Registered
290 Posts

hey crossbow thanks for that link I will definitely use it on my P5's Amsoil 5-30 and M6 with what ever brand of oil I will decide to use.

·
Registered
725 Posts

Just got my UOA back from Blackstone today. Here it is: Mazda 6s UOA - Castrol Syntec 0w30 - 7571 miles
Oil was in use from 10/19/03 to 1/24/04 for 7571 miles. Car sees about 90% freeway miles. They are quick but fairly gentle with my girlfriend at the helm and quite a bit more "vigorous";) when I'm driving.

Overall I'm very happy with the results. Bear in mind that the batch of Syntec I used has been proven to have about 4 ppm of iron in it to start off with, so that brings the actual amount of iron down to 17 ppm. Considering higher miles on this sample, and low miles (relatively) on the car, I'm impressed. Also, almost all of this interval was run with the 1st gen Injen intake. The 15 ppm of silicon is pretty dang good in light of this. Oiled cotton gauze filters usually don't filter as well as paper, so it's good to see that the silicon is well in check. Really my results are a virtual carbon copy of Crossbow's last UOA numbers wise, although my interval is a lot longer, but his usage was also much tougher.

At the very least, this does prove that the car gives good wear numbers on a 30wt. oil (and a thicker one at that) as well as the 20wt. speced by Ford/Mazda.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: Reading Topic: Mazda6 UOA's

Excellent! Thanks for doing this UOA pisa!
I hope the bob guys give more feedback :).

I'm going to do one more 0w-20 UOA after the next change (I want to wait an oil change cycle first) and then I think I'll give GC a try during the autox season.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
5 Posts

Here is the link to my oil report. This is the factory oil from the first oil change. Sorry the image sucks. Blackstone misread my email address and snail mailed the report. I scaned it but looks bad, will have to keep working on it. I now have Redline 5w-30 syn in the engine. I should have the next oil change due in April. I will do another analysis then. What do you think?
Mazda 6 oil report

21 - 40 of 169 Posts