Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking through some British auto mags and saw a picture of the Ford Mondeo. It has the same dual exhausts, archs and shapes as our Mazda6. It's body kit is more Focus than Fusion, but the design cues are blatant. I knew that the Mondeo shared its platform with the Jaguar X-Type, but I hadn't thought about the 6 (though I suppose it makes says since the name Mondeo is supposedly derived from "mundus" and "auto" or "world car"). So far I can't find any direct matches, but if they are then I guess that means the baby Jag is really a Jap. Can anyone confirm?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mondeo doesn't share the same platform, no.

The reason that the Mondeo has a "world car" related name is because it was supposed to be one. The Ford Contour was its' twin in the US.
[/b]
Hmm... Ford must have just taken a lot of styling cues from Mazda in the recent models because they seriously look so similar it's startling.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Mazda6, does share the same platform with the Ford Mondeo, But Mazda changed a lot of it.

The Old Mondeo is the same car as the Contour.

The baby Jaguar is not Japanese. It's a Ford Mondeo with AWD.

The Mondeo is the First car on this platform.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Hmm... Ford must have just taken a lot of styling cues from Mazda in the recent models because they seriously look so similar it's startling.[/b]
There are some similar design cues, but platforms have nothing to do with looks. The Ford Edge is built on the same platform as the Mazda6, but they look nothing alike.

Mazda6, does share the same platform with the Ford Mondeo, But Mazda changed a lot of it.

The Old Mondeo is the same car as the Contour.

The baby Jaguar is not Japanese. It's a Ford Mondeo with AWD.

The Mondeo is the First car on this platform.
[/b]
Sorry, but you're wrong.

The Mondeo changed platforms in 2001 from CDW-27 to CD-132. Mazda's CD3 platform, that the Mazda6 is built on, is in no way connected to the Mondeo's CD-132 platform. The Mazda6 is built on a 100% Mazda-engineered platform, the CD-132 is a 100% Ford engineerd platform. Mazda didn't 'change' anything from the Mondeo platform, they're entirely seperate, and quite different, platforms. From 2002 until 2006 when the Fusion and its' sister-cars came out, the Mazda6 was the only car in the world that used the CD3 platform.

The CD3 platform is not used in Europe anywhere outside of the Mazda6 available there. Ford Europe was supposed to adopt it for the next generation of cars, however they decided that it didn't meet their standards, and will be using their own platform. The next Mondeo will be built on a platform, the CD-345, that is a result of a collaborative effort of all Ford Europe companies.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
sukispeed
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing