Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well possibly considering the move. Just a thought that gathered in my head during the last week.

There are two 2005 rx8s just sitting at a dealer near me and it is rather intriging to trade in for one. They MSRP at $29+ and many people over the rx8 forums say its simple to get $7k off of that. So I look at $22k out the door if I'm good. Trade in the 6 with a tradein value just under $17, but I owe just under $14 on it - so I net $3 (when I put down $8900 in a trade). I wonder how much I really could get them to give me for the 6... because then if I look at only financing $15 I can stay at the same payments and not feel guility about losing money.

And I am also very economically consicous, and I know I would be taking a hit ... but how big of a hit? When exactly do I "flip" my car and the equity around???

Yeah it is sort of a random post with no real purpose, but it's something I might want to explore some more

Pretty much just a dream, there probably is no way in hell I could get those numbers...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i moved from my 6i to the RX-8

things to consider.

BAD BAD gas mileage

Insurance is higher
But you are just that much sexier. You can definitely score some GOOD deals on 05's... that's what i did... i got my RX-8 with sport package for 25 out the door in January... i'd expect it to be Much better now.
[/b]
Well at least I would be going from a 6s to the 8 ... so the gas mileage would be a little easier to swallow.

I know tons of things influence insurance, but how much of a percentage did you jump? To me the insurance is the least of the worries...

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Also you have to remember the rx8 is not a consumer car. It is an ethusiast car. It's not a car you can just ignore and expect to work flawlessly everytime you start it. It requires strict maintance and a well informed owner as to the rotary's particular quirks.

If you like working on cars, and don't mind popping the hood and checking the oil level every fillup (And carrying a quart of oil in the car to top it off), never starting the car just to move it a few feet, making sure to hit redline frequently (otherwise you get carbon buildup on the apex seals), and blipping the throttle right before you shut it off.

Then its a friggin awesome car. Just slightly lacking in power.
http://www.rx8club.com

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Well at least I would be going from a 6s to the 8 ... so the gas mileage would be a little easier to swallow.

I know tons of things influence insurance, but how much of a percentage did you jump? To me the insurance is the least of the worries...
[/b]
As sexy as the RX is.....so far you're looking at 3 hits.

1. Trade-In
2. Gas (ESPECIALLY at $3+ per gallon) -- Idk if I could drive a low tq car that gets the same gas mileage as an SUV...
3. Insurance

Why do it, especially if you're not gaining anything but looks and minimal speed.

·
Registered
710 Posts
If a new one is at 20 to 22k for a leftover 05 what the hell are used ones going for 15k? 16k for a 05? Youre playing with fire with a car with such insane value. You never know if you need to get rid of it and than when no one calls youre in big trouble.

I think there are better choices out there. No offense to current rx8 owners.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Why do it, especially if you're not gaining anything but looks and minimal speed.[/b]
You are getting RWD, and one of the best chassis's ever made.
http://www.good-win-racing.com/mazda-talk/viewtopic.php?t=53

Not to mention you can fit 18x8.5's with 275 RT-615's under the wheel wells without posting a thousand threads about whether or not you need to roll the fenders.

That car is just so beautiful with the MS nose.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Personally, I test drove the RX-8 and found it be almost equal to my 6 but different. Yet it costs a whole lot more, so wasn't nearly worth it to me.

The shifter was too close together, couldn't tell if I was in 4th or 6th. The gears are too low, I could be in 6th at 50 mph. Making a car a 6 speed over a 5 speed isn't supposed to just make me have to shift more often, I'd expect the 6th gear tacked on at the end, not the middle.

The pedals are really frigging small. With my size 11s, twice during the test drive the edge of my foot drug the break pedale down along with the clutch because there just wasn't enough room down there.

The car is too low for as long as it is, so I couldn't gauge any distance on the nose.

Plus, while I think the Rx-8 is interesting looking, most of my female friends hate it.

I just felt that the Rx-8 would have been a toss up with the 6 if I was looking for a straight sports car instead of a sports sedan... but not worth what they're asking for the thing. I love the rotary engine, but still.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Where is the "biting my tongue" emoticon? Who am I kidding!

I'm really trying not to flame here, but I think you missed the point of the car and didn't know how to drive it properly (or just didn't). The car is an incredible drive, the entire dynamic is linear and connected. A picture of this car could be the definition of "handles like it's on rails". The tight torque band requires close ratios, and I had no problems keeping the pedals separate... and I wear a size 12 shoe.

The car is just barely low enough. You should sit in an FC or FD RX-7 if you want something to complain about. Personally, I would kill to have a sedan slung as low or lower than an RX-8. I needed a more practical car, so the RX-8 was not an option.

As a financial decision, I would not recommend trading in your Mazda6 for any car.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Rx8's are currently cheaper then 6's. At the current 8-9k off craze, I've actually considered trading in for one...The only thing that keeps me from doing it is the Mazdaspeed Rx8... The pwnstar is coming.
[/b]

MMMMM mazdaspeed rx-8, you must tell me more!!

Granted if it did come out it would have a price tag close to 40k and at the point hello 330i!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Its a toss up. Despite the lack of power in the RX-8 everything else about it is beautifully designed and has an amazing feel. Yet like others said the insurance and gas will be killers. Like Crossbow I would hold out for the Mazdaspeed version, if Mazda USA ever gets its act together and realizes hey, the Speed version of the 8 has been out for how long in Japan, and people want it, why not bring it to the States? Something about still developing it to the designers specifications, and plus with the supercharger and all. Thats why I wouldn't trade in for one. I'd wait it out, or pray for Mazda to re-release the RX-7.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rx8's are currently cheaper then 6's. At the current 8-9k off craze, I've actually considered trading in for one...The only thing that keeps me from doing it is the Mazdaspeed Rx8... The pwnstar is coming.
[/b]

Well that is the only reason why I would have even thought this. Im not looking at the car for the power, Im looking at the current price of these. If I wouldnt take such a hit on tradein, I would be at the dealer right now.

As for the "maintance" - Am I foolish for thinking about this car with the rotary engine? Also I "know" how to drive a stick and have driven sticks, though never owned a car that was a manual ... I sure somebody would argue this is a not a good answer for me.

And we waited on this boards for something like 3 years for the MS6 to come around ... enjoy your 2010 MS Rx8 Crossbow!

·
Registered
935 Posts
Have you considered a 2005 used Nissan 350z? Price-point should be similar, it also drives as if it's "on rails", maintenance costs should be the same or lower, gas mileage is similar, you lose a back seat but you gain some wait and a lot of power compared to the rx8, torque is impressive (274 lb-ft @ 4800 RPM), brakes are ample, insurance should be about the same, etc. If you can live without a back seat and you are looking for a fun "sports" car, I think it is at least worth looking at the 350z.

My opinion is of course biased because I recently traded in my 6s for a 2006 350z. But even when I step back and consider the 350z, I really feel like you get great bang for your buck performance and quality wise. I also test drove the rx8 and thought it was a great ride with high-quality fit and finish, but all gas mileage being equal I just wanted more umph, and didn't mind ditching the back seat. For me appearance was a near toss-up....there are aspects of both designs that I like and dislike.

I'm not trying to persuade you to buy one, just to consider one...because I think you would be pleasantly surprised. At any rate, good luck with your trade!

-Steve

·
Registered
122 Posts
Not to put a damper on your sales pitch, but the 350z is one of the ugliest sports cars I've ever seen. There's something to be said about great exterior styling, and the RX-8 is spot on in my opinion. I dunno, maybe I'm wrong, but if you're even in the market for an RX-8, you could care less about fuel economy, insurance, and trade-in value. I would think you should care about power, how that power makes it to the pavement, handling, and styling.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Not to put a damper on your sales pitch, but the 350z is one of the ugliest sports cars I've ever seen. There's something to be said about great exterior styling, and the RX-8 is spot on in my opinion.

I agree with Crash. :slap: How bout the body of an RX-8 with the engine of the 350Z? :D

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah agreed.

Im not set of getting rid of my 6... I am looking at the 8 and only the 8 just because of the price for a new 05. If nothing happens, I'll still have my 6.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Not to put a damper on your sales pitch, but the 350z is one of the ugliest sports cars I've ever seen. There's something to be said about great exterior styling, and the RX-8 is spot on in my opinion. I dunno, maybe I'm wrong, but if you're even in the market for an RX-8, you could care less about fuel economy, insurance, and trade-in value. I would think you should care about power, how that power makes it to the pavement, handling, and styling.
[/b]
Well like I said, there are styling aspects of both cars that I could do without. The tiny rear hatch window on the Z is dumb to me, while the bulbous front fender flares on the rx8 strike me as ridiculous. The rear end on the Z is a little too high and tapered for me, while the stock front end on the rx8 is too curvy and lacks definition. IMO Both cars look a thousand times better with a decent front lip and side skirts.

And again it wasn't a sales pitch, it was just Option B. My first instinct was to stay within the mazda family, but in the end I am glad I looked elsewhere. From cruising around several internet car enthusiast forums I have found that there is a large group of prospective buyers who are looking simultaneously at S2000, RX8, and 350Z to get their entry-level sports car kicks. I think all of these cars are fun and attractive in their own ways, so I just wanted to give this guy another point of view before spending a large sum of money. My intention was not to be persuasive as much as to be informative. I apologize if the effort was misconstrued. And I didn't mention the S2000 because I don't have any first-hand experience driving one, although they look (and sound) like a good time. Those cars will also rev to 9k without drinking all of your oil, but I digress.

While I can understand your statement regarding the mindset of a prospective RX8 owner, the truth is that fast cars are expensive to maintain, and from my observations the 350z seems like it is a faster car that won't cost you any more in fuel or maintenance, while providing the same enjoyment of rear-wheel-drive and tight handling. I try to make my impracticality as practical as possible. Since my Z is my daily driver, I really am concerned with gas mileage, maintenance, insurance, and trade-in. While trade-in and insurance are probably a wash between the two vehicles, I still feel like I am making out the same or better on the 2 former items.

Sorry, I'm not trying to be argumentative here, but I did not want to come off as though I am trying to steer him away from the 8. And thus ends my thread-jack.

To the OP, good luck with your decision!

-Steve

Yeah agreed.

Im not set of getting rid of my 6... I am looking at the 8 and only the 8 just because of the price for a new 05. If nothing happens, I'll still have my 6.
[/b]
Just read this post after I wrote a novel of a response, which is now irrelevant. Sorry for clogging up your thread :)

Steve

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
About this Discussion
41 Replies
25 Participants
Blake-mazda
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing