Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mazda has announced that the Mazda 6 will get two updates. The first is that, like the CX-5, the 6 will receive the SkyActiv-D engine. In addition, it has been announced that the 6 will also receive an AWD option. There are currently no details about which trims (or which drivetrain options) will get access to the AWD system, but expect the option to be available towards the end of calendar year 2019.

See the news here

Hopefully AWD isn't just limited to the SkyActiv-D but will also come with the SkyActiv-T. However, that will probably mean that only Grand Touring and above trims will get the AWD option. Fully loaded, it will push the 6 to a $40,000 potential with all options. That's dangerous territory IMO.

·
Administrator
8,401 Posts
This confirms, at least for me, that the 6 will be around for the foreseeable future, and also heightens the chances for a 4th-gen...

Then again, it may indicate the 4th-gen will be out for 2020, with AWD...

Intriguing... :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
AWD is available on the CX line in all trims and the 3 in all but the bottom trim. It's a $1400 option on both the 3 and CX-5. I don't see why they would do anything different on the 6 than they are on the 3, but they have been known to make some odd choices with trims in the past. That would push a 6 Signature starting price to $36,500. A Touring trim would be at $27,800. Obviously those prices would assume no other changes being made.

·
Registered
67 Posts
This confirms, at least for me, that the 6 will be around for the foreseeable future, and also heightens the chances for a 4th-gen...

Then again, it may indicate the 4th-gen will be out for 2020, with AWD...

Intriguing... :)
The 4th-gen must be coming in 2020. I thought I've read already that AWD won't fit with the current platform, and it explains why they are being vague about it.

That, or the engineers finally figured out to fit it in there.

The 6 is far from being a poor seller, comparatively speaking with other Mazda vehicles. If they can keep the Miata around, the 6 should be fine.

The 2018 Mazda 6 really makes it hard to predict what Mazda is trying to do, because changes they made to the 2018 model year are things other automakers would usually wait for a complete redesign.(new interior, powertrains, heavy NVH improvements, suspension, etc) If the new platform comes in 2020, it'd probably have to look almost identical except with a new steering wheel, infotainment, and switch gear.

Either way, this is good news, especially for the 2.5L Turbo models which would definitely benefit the most from AWD.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
IMO, Mazdas platforming maybe flexible enough to allow for changes/sharing across Skyactiv 1 and 2, so the current 6 could inherit some of the goodness of Skyactiv 2. The 3rd gen 6 is a pretty nice platform. May not have the same level of structural rigidity or NVH as Skyactiv 2, but may not need to short term if the options and pricing is compelling enough to compete.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
763 Posts
I doubt the 6 will get AWD with the 2.5T until the next platform debuts. Mazda said AWD physically didn’t fit. The Diesel engine is different and might allow the extra room but unless something else is redesigned for the current drivetrain, probably won’t happen just yet.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think Mazda is making a terrible mistake offering the diesel in the Signature trim level. They are trying to market it to a customer who I do not believe exists. Generally speaking, frugal customers are not the ones willing to put almost $50k on a car. Instead, they would rather shop at the lower end of the spectrum. I think they are mixing up people who will put down large sums for the likes of a Tesla. These people are not particularly frugal, but tend to be techno-savvy above all else. Mazda should offer the diesel in its own trim (a cross between Sport and Touring, perhaps) and charge around $28k and see what happens. While I'm actually hoping for the best (I'd buy one, to be honest), I also hope that Mazda knows that if this fails...and in all likelihood it will...they will help to permanently destroy the diesel market in the the US, once and for all.

·
Registered
941 Posts
North American passenger car diesel is ALREADY dead, the wake will be announced soon enough with the funeral right after.

Bringing a new diesel to NA is suicide.

Lastly, Mazda puts out a tremendous amount of bullshit on the internet, probably for free marketing research.

·
Registered
123 Posts
It seems to me the Mazda6 still trails its competition by 50-120 horsepower.

Until they address that, they're going to be perceived as a cheap car, not just a slow car. It is difficult for me to consider buying another one with such a massive performance deficit compared to so much of what is on the road now.

·
Registered
680 Posts

Until they address that, they're going to be perceived as a cheap car, not just a slow car. It is difficult for me to consider buying another one with such a massive performance deficit compared to so much of what is on the road now.

What are you comparing it to that has that much discrepancy in HP?

·
Registered
16 Posts

I'm not sure anybody would consider Mazda a cheap car, what with the current run that they're having. Low power used to mean cheap, but look at the average Mercedes and BMW entry level and mid level offerings and they are seriously power-deficient as well. Certainly not cheap, though. Would they consider Mazdas slow? Perhaps. But would that be a reality? Not in my opinion. HP numbers are misleading because a stand-alone number doesn't tell the whole story. How willing is the engine to respond to calls for more power? How accessible is that peak power? How wide along the power band is it available? How early in the power band is it available? Is the torque number there to back it up? How does the engine feel as it revs? So on, so forth. I believe Mazda has done more than most to improve their products. Gorgeous looks alone have been selling Mazdas for the last 5 years. The other virtues are things people generally discover along the way. I think that's fine.

I've been a fan of diesels for years, but I've never owned one. I'm happy that the option still exists, but I fear that by the time I'm in the market, I will have none. That's already the case with wagons.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hi idrive,
My 2016 Mazda6 has a wonderful 2.5liter with variable valve timing. Unfortunately, it has a feeble 184 hp and very low redline.

Feels like most of the Mazda6 competition has a six-cylinder option with 260-ish horsepower - Acuras, Camrys, Accords, Altima, Maxima, etc. A few years ago, the Fusion/Optima/Sonata had a 240-hp two-liter.

On the very optimistic end, the Kia Stinger has a 365-hp AWD (twin-turbo V6) option. Yes, it's a challenge to call that $56K car a competitor for the sub $40K Mazda6.

Obviously, horsepower is just one component of a car's capability, enjoyability, and performance. And raw power is increasingly less usable with today's traffic environment. Many people speak very highly of the Mazda6 for its handling. However, it feels like we're starting off with a very big deficit.

I'm a Mazda loyalist - this is my eleventh. I didn't look at many other options since I wanted a stick-shift when I got my 2016 Mazda6. But that stick-shift cost me a lot of nice options. If I don't demand an Asian stick-shift next time around, the Mazda6 faces very heavy competition.

Of course, this is just my opinion...

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Hi idrive,
My 2016 Mazda6 has a wonderful 2.5liter with variable valve timing. Unfortunately, it has a feeble 184 hp and very low redline.

Feels like most of the Mazda6 competition has a six-cylinder option with 260-ish horsepower - Acuras, Camrys, Accords, Altima, Maxima, etc. A few years ago, the Fusion/Optima/Sonata had a 240-hp two-liter.

On the very optimistic end, the Kia Stinger has a 365-hp AWD (twin-turbo V6) option. Yes, it's a challenge to call that $56K car a competitor for the sub $40K Mazda6.

Obviously, horsepower is just one component of a car's capability, enjoyability, and performance. And raw power is increasingly less usable with today's traffic environment. Many people speak very highly of the Mazda6 for its handling. However, it feels like we're starting off with a very big deficit.

I'm a Mazda loyalist - this is my eleventh. I didn't look at many other options since I wanted a stick-shift when I got my 2016 Mazda6. But that stick-shift cost me a lot of nice options. If I don't demand an Asian stick-shift next time around, the Mazda6 faces very heavy competition.

Of course, this is just my opinion...
Dude have you heard they released the turbo?
I also had a 2016 and agree with you to a point, but the turbo 6 is a different animal. Having driven all of the competition (including V6 Stinger) the 2018 6 Sig is quite competitce for 10-20K less. As somone else mentioned you really can't compare hp and torque numbers. What counts is the overall package including respknsiveness and balance. While AWD would do a better job putting 310lb-ft of torque to the ground, my turbo 6 is very quick. Passing can be scary fast. And its getting even better as the drivetrain gets some miles on it. All I fear for are my front tires.

So your comparison is outdate IMO.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
8,401 Posts
So your comparison is outdate IMO.
Quite, QUITE outdated actually.

Of the cars mentioned above, take out Acura, since their ILX is a 4-cylinder, and the TLX prices start where the Signature 6 is, and they only have a 4-cylinder at that price.

Accord? No V6 anymore.

Altima? Same.

Maxima? Not in the same class (Maxima is considered full-size, and IMO it's also overpriced, overweight, and stuck with a CVT).

In fact, the only V6 left is in the Camry (301 HP), but it's 268 lb-ft isn't even close to the 310 lb-ft that the 2.5T in the 6 puts down. Plus, the V6 starts at $35K, which is again, where the Signature tops out at. You're looking at a Camry OVER $40K with the same options as the Signature.

$40K, for a Camry? Get real!

The market has changed over the past few years. Gone are the V6's, replaced with turbo 4-cylinders that offer better performance, fuel economy, and less weight... And who knows how much longer that'll last, since crossovers are sucking the life out of both the sedan and enthusiast, not to mention the electric pods we'll all be cursed to be passengers in sooner than later...

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm not sure anybody would consider Mazda a cheap car, what with the current run that they're having. Low power used to mean cheap, but look at the average Mercedes and BMW entry level and mid level offerings and they are seriously power-deficient as well. Certainly not cheap, though. Would they consider Mazdas slow? Perhaps. But would that be a reality? Not in my opinion. HP numbers are misleading because a stand-alone number doesn't tell the whole story. How willing is the engine to respond to calls for more power? How accessible is that peak power? How wide along the power band is it available? How early in the power band is it available? Is the torque number there to back it up? How does the engine feel as it revs? So on, so forth. I believe Mazda has done more than most to improve their products. Gorgeous looks alone have been selling Mazdas for the last 5 years. The other virtues are things people generally discover along the way. I think that's fine.

I've been a fan of diesels for years, but I've never owned one. I'm happy that the option still exists, but I fear that by the time I'm in the market, I will have none. That's already the case with wagons.
Well said! I wholeheartedly concur. I have owned or driven much of the competition and the Mazda6 certainly is not a "cheap" car IMO nor is it lacking in power with the turbo. And that power is always available when called upon. Torque is the key word here. And yes, the beauty of this car more than covers any shortcomings, few as they may be. Since getting my 6 I've become sort of a styling snob. Lol! I find myself parking next to new Camrys and Accords as if to say "look at what you could have bought for the same or less money!" Where I once tolerated the styling of those 2 cars, I now find the Camry repulsive and the Accord sad and disappointing. The front view of the 6 is absolutely beautiful, the sides elegant...the back end could use a major refresh as it has a generic look seen on many other cars. The interior...nothing needs to be said. Nothing short of an Audi or Lexus compares. Well done Mazda! Now....about the rumored inline 6 and AWD?!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well said! I wholeheartedly concur. I have owned or driven much of the competition and the Mazda6 certainly is not a "cheap" car IMO nor is it lacking in power with the turbo. And that power is always available when called upon. Torque is the key word here. And yes, the beauty of this car more than covers any shortcomings, few as they may be. Since getting my 6 I've become sort of a styling snob. Lol! I find myself parking next to new Camrys and Accords as if to say "look at what you could have bought for the same or less money!"
I actually do the same thing! I walk past my 2013 and I still stare at it in awe of how sexy it actually still is. I finish a drive (short or long) and I'm just amazed at how well sorted it all is.

Where I once tolerated the styling of those 2 cars, I now find the Camry repulsive and the Accord sad and disappointing.
The current Camry initially grabbed my attention as a step in the right direction for Toyota, but less than two years later and it has already gotten so stale to me. I went to a Toyota dealership a few months ago with my wife (she has a 2011 Camry) and I was shocked to find out that the white-on-red-interior that was so popular on XLE-only cars as an option could be dealer-fit on any other trim level! Dealer fit! Imagine that. Sad. The Accord was an eye-sore to me at first, but it has grown on me a bit and I can appreciate it, particularly from the side and front. You have to give it to Honda, though...still offering manual transmissions in this day and age is a pretty balsy move...

The front view of the 6 is absolutely beautiful, the sides elegant...the back end could use a major refresh as it has a generic look seen on many other cars. The interior...nothing needs to be said. Nothing short of an Audi or Lexus compares. Well done Mazda!
I'm perhaps alone when I say that I do not find Audi interiors to be attractive at all. As for Lexus, their interiors are a bit too busy for me. Strange as it may seem, I'm liking Volvo interiors at the moment, though.

Now....about the rumored inline 6 and AWD?!!!
Don't you mean the rumoured Inline 6 and RWD?!? Listen...I've been saying it for years now that if Mazda wants to distance themselves from their Plebeian past they must ditch front wheel drive in every vehicle except the 2. Both 3 and 6 need to be rear wheel drive. The inline 6 was a total shocker for me, to be honest, since that would just have been wishful thinking in a world full of turbo-4s. I'm going to put it out there, though, that Toyota's involvement should spawn a proper Supra since it will already spawn a Lexus IS derivative. That's not hard to imagine since the last Supra shared a chassis with the SC. Interesting times ahead...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I'm to this forum.

I want to verify the news with you guys.
What engine will new Mazda6 use? Skyactiv-X or D?

I just found an article on Google that next-gen will use Skyactiv-D? What do you think, guys?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts