Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Does anyone know, if the suspension of the Mazda6 2.3l GT-model is different from 2l & 1.8L versions? If it is, then what are the differences?

Regards

Tomi

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Mazda6 Suspension'

I've read in several magazine tests that it is a bit stiffer in the 2.3, but I can't confirm that with any info from Mazda.

Those testers anyway said that the softer suspension in the 2.0 and 1.8 gave better comfort, but didn't conflict with handling properties.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I`ve got the same feeling too. I test drove 2.0l version and the 2.3l version (which I chose) and the 2.3 felt much more stiffer especially in the tight corners.
However, I have not found anywhere any "official" information if the suspensions really are different from each others.

Tomi

·
Registered
355 Posts

What I have read, didn't state any difference on suspension.

That reminds me, that there has been lots talks in this forum about some problems with suspension (some clanking noise?). Was that only with the Asian / Australian models made earlier this year, or has anyone got the sound in very latest production patches?

Infact I have inside information on that from Finnish car dealer... They were test driving Mazda6 in Estonia half a year ago with other scandinavian and baltic sales, just before they started the sales here.

The result was that they were able to make the 2.3 GT models suspension have that clanking noise, and they revved and tested the car in all kinds of roads (as horribel they could find)... And the noise got worse...

It also resulted in suspension to go almoust away, and drivability got quite bad then... After maintanance the problem was gone (I don't know the exact problem, but it sounded just like the problem many people have described here before).

I believe this has been so far the only serious BABY sickness in a new model. I would like to believe that it has been fixed in the patches coming out from factory nowadays? Any comments on that???

And ofcourse if you hear this voice from your suspension / front etc. Go ahead and tell and fix it :) It is definately under the warranty fixes.

·
Registered
355 Posts

Oh yeah, the stiffer feeling... Remember that when you have more low profile tyres, you have less soft part under your car... And that makes a big difference of how you feel all the little bumps on the road. It can also create a feel of more stiff suspension even if it wasn't.

And 2.3 comes with 215/45R17 here... Compared to 195/65R15 with the other models, it will create a big difference on this aspect.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

That`s correct - the tires in 2.0 & 2.3 model are different, but I really am having hard times to believe that the difference could be that big.

I tested both versions in the same small twisty road and the speed which I could drive when entering corners with 2.3l model was TOTALLY different from the 2.0l model.

Tomi

·
Registered
355 Posts

Ofcourse I can't know how big the difference is you are talking about...

It could be possible also that different countries come with different setups?
And there is so many other variables effecting on the drivability...

This gives me a good idea of going to test my car with someone elses who has 2.0 (Steve? ;) ) and see how big the difference is :D

·
Registered
71 Posts

The difference between different tyre profiles is quite noticable.
Now I drive with 205/55 R16 winter tyres instead of original 215/45 R17 summer
tyres. The car now is much more comfortable than it was before tyre change and
still handles very good. The handling advantages of 215/45 R17 tyres IMHO are
noticable only at quite extreme driving mode.

·
Registered
355 Posts

Now I drive with 205/55 R16 winter tyres instead of original 215/45 R17 summer[/b]
Wanna tell more about what kind of winter tyres you got?

Studds or studdless?

Brand?

Feels good - ah this you answered already... But after you get real icy weather, still feels good?

All these questions are pounding in my head now, because I am thinking what size tyres to get for the winter etc.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Suspension problems

Originally posted by javah

...there has been lots talks in this forum about some problems with suspension (some clanking noise?). Was that only with the Asian / Australian models made earlier this year, or has anyone got the sound in very latest production patches?  

Infact I have inside information on that from Finnish car dealer... They were test driving Mazda6 in Estonia half a year ago with other scandinavian and baltic sales, just before they started the sales here.

The result was that they were able to make the 2.3 GT models suspension have that clanking noise, and they revved and tested the car in all kinds of roads (as horribel they could find)... And the noise got worse...[/b]
I have a Mazda6 on order in the UK, expecting to take delivery in January. I'm obviously concerned to be reading about potential suspension problems on this site, and as yet nobody here has been able to confirm the true cause, or the success or otherwise of any dealer-proposed solutions.

I have read here also that the factory in Japan appears to have recognized the problem and has at least advised dealers in Singapore. Mazda UK however are unaware of this in spite of the cars being here now for around 2 months. They simply suggested I call Mazda Customer Services in Japan for information.

Does anybody yet have any further info on this apparently significant ignificant blot on Mazda's quality record?

Regards,
Harley

·
Registered
71 Posts

Goodyear Ultra Grip 6. Studdless. According to tests these winter tyres
could be clasified as universal tyres according to Scandinavian standards.
They show one of the best results on wet and dry tarmac, but are not so
good on ice and snow. I completely agree about excellent handling on
tarmac but have to do more tests on snow and ice (when it will appear
for more than just a few days).

·
Registered
355 Posts

Goodyear Ultra Grip 6[/b]
Interesting to hear how it works on ICE. Since in the Finnish magazine (tests cars and tyres as well - called 'Tekniikan Maailma') just 1 month ago this tyre got to be last in the winter tests.

The positive thing about this tyre was it's better behaviour on "normal roads without ice" than the others. But after there was more Ice or snow, it was left behind all the other studdless tyres in the test. Definately a tyre compromised for Middle European weathers.
But not for the Scandinavian "arctic weather".

(Others were: Nokia Q, Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50, Continental ContiVikingContact 2, Michelin Maxi Ice, Agi Soft Sarek and the Goodyear in order of success).

Personally I desided to get either Nokia or the Bridgestone, since they seem to be only studdless tyres you can 'trust' on 'smooth ice'... But with studdless always keep in mind, it can't have as good grip on 'smooth ice' as the one with studds, that's the only minor minus for these tyres.

·
Registered
355 Posts

Does anybody yet have any further info on this apparently significant ignificant blot on Mazda's quality record?[/b]
Yes, maybe we should get back to the point of this topic? Any problems with suspension? Sounds that shouldn't be there? The talk in this forum has made some people around here a bit 'nervous'.

I believe that it is just a harmless little thing with the first patches, which won't bother the consumers any more in the future - I hope I am right.

But since the forum is re-organized, I hope we can take the talks of tyres to a new section made for it. :)

·
Registered
71 Posts

Originally posted by javah

Personally I desided to get either Nokia or the Bridgestone, since they seem to be only studdless tyres you can 'trust' on 'smooth ice'... But with studdless always keep in mind, it can't have as good grip on 'smooth ice' as the one with studds, that's the only minor minus for these tyres.[/b]
Last few winters in Latvia were kind of warm. There were some real cold weeks
though. But the main roads are usually more or less clean or covered with that
ugly mixture of sand and salt. So mainly I'm gonna drive on wet or dry tarmac.
Besides these tyres are not absolutely useless on snow and ice alse - they're
worse than those dedicated ones, but still driveable. Simply i must not to forget
about this on snow and ice.

·
Registered
355 Posts

Last few winters in Latvia were kind of warm. There were some real cold weeks..[/b]
You probably made the rigth choice for your country...
I have driven once thru Latvia (and the whole Baltic) and then it was nice Spring weather UNTILL after Riga it started a SNOW BLIZZARD which lasted till Poland, and ofcourse we were driving on summer tyres... That wasn't fun... In those conditions your tires would have been great (since you can keep them longer than tyres which are made for more arctic conditions - and this kind of surprises are not so bad).

So not a bad choice for Latvia, since there it can be summer in middle of winter and also the opposite (at least in my experiences). :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts