Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering having a Strut Tower Bar made. And since things are always cheaper in quanity. I'm asking:

1. Is anybody interested in one for their 6 i or s?
2. What would you consider a fair price for a model like the bar pictured below. Keep in mind, that is a MAZDASPEED bar and costs about $260 in Japan. (way too expensive for me)

Center bar would be polished Al. Tower mounts would be steel (powder coated, or anodized)

I will be calling around to several local metal fabricators to see what they will need to give me a ball park quote and I'm trying to judge intrest. I have a customer who will do any CAD work that I need.

Just to be up front, if I do have these made, I will make a profit on each bar.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Mazda6 Strut bar, intrest?'

Profit??? Nah, we want interest!!!

Anyway, strutbars in a body that is already as stiff as the Mazda6 would probably not be worth the cash, just my 2c...

·
Registered
158 Posts

I'd be interested in one for my 6s (when I actually get it). Not sure about pricing, but I'm always willing to pay for the good stuff.

BTW, you can never have a chassis that is too stiff. Too heavy? Yeah. Too stiff? Nah. Strut tower crossmembers are very effective at stiffening the chassis, especially for their weight.

·
Registered
514 Posts

Have you noticed the proximity of the tower bars in this car to the firewall? Looks like it may already be reinforced on the top half of the chassis.

-Alt

·
Registered
158 Posts

I hadnt noticed it. Hmmm.... I've read similar comments about the WRX, and am not sure what to think. The strut tower brace can't hurt anything, but the question is how much is it going to help. Something to think about when I'm at work today.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I've thought about the closeness to the firewall, but I figure that somebody is going to be making them for the 6. Why not me and I need a new source of income to support my Mazda habit.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Yeah, why not?

Just a small piece of advice: making parts that become a piece of the body structure could put you in a dangerous situation if an accident would happen.

I also think that you would have to get the part certifed and thouroughly tested, or selling it would probably be illegal and might get you into some serious s*it.

Just be carful. Anyway, it's a good idea to provide parts for the 6.

·
Registered
514 Posts

Agreed. Personally, I wouldn't want it to be business liability unless I had lawyers on retainers (or could afford one).

-Alt

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Originally posted by Steve 6erI also think that you would have to get the part certifed and thouroughly tested, or selling it would probably be illegal and might get you into some serious s*it.[/b]
Luckily, here in the U.S. things haven't gotten that bad for the aftermarket yet. A few disclaimers and set up as a LLC (Limited Liability Corporation) will keep me personally protected.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Just as long as you know what you're doing. Here a disclaimer wouldn't help much if a product was cause or probable cause of an accident.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts

i'm game. $100-$150 is in my price range for a sturt bar. $260 is fukin crazy.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Rome wasn't built in a day. Speed, quality and price. To get quality at a low price don't expect speed.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Reading Topic: Mazda6 Strut bar, intrest?

aye jay how much will the strut bar be i live in downey when will u be able to make them

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Reading Topic: Mazda6 Strut bar, intrest?

I'm with WhoDiddy. My front and rear strut tower bars on my Supra were $150 or so each. I think carbon fibers were $210. $260 is taking advantage of the market fo this car. I'd pay maybe $100-$125, but that's about it. I don't think I'll be in the market for awhile though.

In any event, I think it's a good idea to have in this car. The firewall is not necessarily engineered to withstand body flex on a constant basis, especially in hard corners. At least that's not its function. The strut tower bar is exactly intended to stiffen the chassis and resist flex, and would relieve stress on the frame.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: Mazda6 Strut bar, intrest?

I'm still looking for a local shop that is interested in doing a small number but without having to pay for his kid's college education!

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Originally posted by Steve 6er

His kid also needs to go to college.[/b]
Yea, but I'm also paying for mine now! :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts